The Bible is a awesome Book even if you dont believe its Gods word

I read it for all the freaky weirdness like Ezekiel:

I looked, and I saw a windstorm coming out of the north--an immense cloud with flashing lightning and surrounded by brilliant light. The center of the fire looked like glowing metal,

5 and in the fire was what looked like four living creatures. In appearance their form was that of a man,

6 but each of them had four faces and four wings.

7 Their legs were straight; their feet were like those of a calf and gleamed like burnished bronze.

8 Under their wings on their four sides they had the hands of a man. All four of them had faces and wings,

9 and their wings touched one another. Each one went straight ahead; they did not turn as they moved.

10 Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a man, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle.

11 Such were their faces. Their wings were spread out upward; each had two wings, one touching the wing of another creature on either side, and two wings covering its body.

12 Each one went straight ahead. Wherever the spirit would go, they would go, without turning as they went.

13 The appearance of the living creatures was like burning coals of fire or like torches. Fire moved back and forth among the creatures; it was bright, and lightning flashed out of it.

14 The creatures sped back and forth like flashes of lightning.

15 As I looked at the living creatures, I saw a wheel on the ground beside each creature with its four faces.

16 This was the appearance and structure of the wheels: They sparkled like chrysolite, and all four looked alike. Each appeared to be made like a wheel intersecting a wheel.

17 As they moved, they would go in any one of the four directions the creatures faced; the wheels did not turn about as the creatures went.

18 Their rims were high and awesome, and all four rims were full of eyes all around.

19 When the living creatures moved, the wheels beside them moved; and when the living creatures rose from the ground, the wheels also rose.

20 Wherever the spirit would go, they would go, and the wheels would rise along with them, because the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels.

21 When the creatures moved, they also moved; when the creatures stood still, they also stood still; and when the creatures rose from the ground, the wheels rose along with them, because the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels.

22 Spread out above the heads of the living creatures was what looked like an expanse, sparkling like ice, and awesome.

23 Under the expanse their wings were stretched out one toward the other, and each had two wings covering its body.

24 When the creatures moved, I heard the sound of their wings, like the roar of rushing waters, like the voice of the Almighty, like the tumult of an army. When they stood still, they lowered their wings.

25 Then there came a voice from above the expanse over their heads as they stood with lowered wings.

26 Above the expanse over their heads was what looked like a throne of sapphire, and high above on the throne was a figure like that of a man.

27 I saw that from what appeared to be his waist up he looked like glowing metal, as if full of fire, and that from there down he looked like fire; and brilliant light surrounded him.

28 Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. When I saw it, I fell facedown, and I heard the voice of one speaking

but as the years roll on science and archeology prove that the content of the bible is not fiction

Just the opposite I would have thought.

Let's say for example that there was a historical event like the great flood (say the flooding around the Black Sea some 7,500 years ago).

This doesn't mean that the Bible's version (ark, 2 animals of each kind, the crow and the dove, rainbow etc.) is true.

That's a huge, huge leap.

For example, we can prove that World War II was real. But that doesn't mean that the events of 633 Squadron are automatically to be considered to have happened.

That was a book (later a film) based on actual historical situations but is, of itself, fiction.

Just like the Bible.

If they're interested in it, sure why not. For the purpose of learning about history or how to live a good life, no.

Having just read the Bible, I'm off to kill some queers! ["If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives", Leviticus 20:13 NAB).

Then some Muslims [You must kill those who worship another god. Exodus 22:20]

And for a spot of relaxation after that, I think I'll rape a virgin (Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man, Numbers 31:7-18).

And if the police try and stop me, I'll just say "well, the Bible said it was OK" [Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Romans 8:33].

Where do you get your information and facts from?

EDIT: Do you realise that the large header on the home page displays:

"Is is time to work on your understanding of the Bible" (no question mark either)

The first sub-menu is titled "Learn to read". It doesn't inspire confidence.

Thanks for your helpful comments

---------- Post added 31-08-2015 at 10:03 ----------

Just the opposite I would have thought.

Let's say for example that there was a historical event like the great flood (say the flooding around the Black Sea some 7,500 years ago).

This doesn't mean that the Bible's version (ark, 2 animals of each kind, the crow and the dove, rainbow etc.) is true.

That's a huge, huge leap.

For example, we can prove that World War II was real. But that doesn't mean that the events of 633 Squadron are automatically to be considered to have happened.

That was a book (later a film) based on actual historical situations but is, of itself, fiction.

Just like the Bible.

Having just read the Bible, I'm off to kill some queers! ["If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives", Leviticus 20:13 NAB).

Then some Muslims [You must kill those who worship another god. Exodus 22:20]

And for a spot of relaxation after that, I think I'll rape a virgin (Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man, Numbers 31:7-18).

And if the police try and stop me, I'll just say "well, the Bible said it was OK" [Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Romans 8:33].

By running a seminar on the bible and not a lecture there would be opportunities to deal with these and many other difficult questions that are better resolved in that format. Please don't take this the wrong way but atheism is a belief system as atheists will only look at evidence that leads to there own conclusions, or would you say you could prove God dose not exist?

As for making the bible ease to understand I would say it's for anyone of any level, we have many scientists of every type in our community some on our seminar. Equally if you set out in your heart that there is no God, you will find objections I think it's interesting well know atheists seem to hate a God they don't believe in. Imagine a proof so easy no one could argue? We would just be robots. This is where free will comes in (ooch that's almost as deep a consciousness) our aims are not to convert anyone just that a consistent message through the whole bible and there are reason we are able to trust the text. We are there to do our best make friends and respect everyone. We feel that Christians of any strand would find this set of seminars helpful along with sceptical people too click the link for more info it's free we are friendly

Reading the bible is only one way of understanding the bible.

After reading the bible(or parts of it) you should ask yourself:

Which bible have I read?

Whose interpretation I have read?

Why do people need to make different versions?

What is the motive for making different versions?

Who controlled that translation?

Why was that interpretation needed?

Which versions were destroyed in the process?

What do other versions say?

Why are there different versions?

Why have chunks been removed?

Why have bits been added?

How does a church twist its contents to create or vilify characters?

How much of the songs, words, paraphernalia and idolatry seen and heard in churches exist in a bible?

How has "one" book created so many different religions?

How much money does it create?

How is it used to control?

Understanding the history of the bible is much more interesting than its contents.

Perhaps it could be seen as an emergence of the "rights of the individual" which is being out manoeuvred by the powerful and exploited by money.

Reading the bible is only one way of understanding the bible.

After reading the bible(or parts of it) you should ask yourself:

Which bible have I read?

Whose interpretation I have read?

Why do people need to make different versions?

What is the motive for making different versions?

Who controlled that translation?

Why was that interpretation needed?

Which versions were destroyed in the process?

What do other versions say?

Why are there different versions?

Why have chunks been removed?

Why have bits been added?

How does a church twist its contents to create or vilify characters?

How much of the songs, words, paraphernalia and idolatry seen and heard in churches exist in a bible?

How has "one" book created so many different religions?

How much money does it create?

How is it used to control?

Understanding the history of the bible is much more interesting than its contents.

Perhaps it could be seen as an emergence of the "rights of the individual" which is being out manoeuvred by the powerful and exploited by money.

Fantastic list of question, I would ask myself too and we deal in detail with you list. wonderful list anyone who wants answers please come along including the poster. This is what we cover!!!

Thanks for your helpful comments

You seem to have missed the question I asked...

I think there are a lot of people think the way you do and with very understandable reasons. This is why we take the time to run informed factual seminars (see the link below ) we don't ask anybody to believe that's a personal response, there are solid answers to your bible objections.. Engage and if something is worthwhile it will probably take a little effort.

...where do your information & facts come from?

You seem to be synonimising beliefs with morals

:huh: Did I? Where?

If you're talking about the Forum itself being amoral, of course it is, it isn't a sentient being, it's merely a virtual place where members discuss things, the majority of whom do have morals.

So, to repeat, SF is an amoral community*. A community that isn't defined by a moral stance.

The majority of Forum members have 2 legs but nobody is going to describe SF as a bipedal community. It's not a community that is defined by the number of legs its members have.

SF is an amoral, apolitical, abipedal community.

That doesn't mean members don't have their own moral, political and 2-legged stance (I bet I hate that point more than you)

* In contrast to other communities where you are expected to adhere to a set of moral values.

Edited by DrNorm

:huh: Did I? Where?

So, to repeat, SF is an amoral community*. A community that isn't defined by a moral stance.

The majority of Forum members have 2 legs but nobody is going to describe SF as a bipedal community. It's not a community that is defined by the number of legs its members have.

SF is an amoral, apolitical, abipedal community.

That doesn't mean members don't have their own moral, political and 2-legged stance (I bet I hate that point more than you)

* In contrast to other communities where you are expected to adhere to a set of moral values.

If that's your definition of an amoral community, rather than it being a community of people without morals, then yes SF may be an amoral community. In that same way, parliament is an amoral community. So is my local gym. So is the local library/cafe/bus stop.

If that's what you think an amoral community is then I don't see any problem with amoral communities.

Fantastic list of question, I would ask myself too and we deal in detail with you list. wonderful list anyone who wants answers please come along including the poster. This is what we cover!!!

The poster will certainly not be attending any session and would certainly not advocate any other to attend.

The questions can all be answered without any intervention from those that would seek to impose or influence their views for whatever reason.

Humans are pre programmed to act collectively and conditions are created in mass events to encourage this. The behaviour seen in political rallies, sporting events, concerts, healing, clairvoyant, religious gatherings, demonstrations, collective bullying etc can be explained better by biochemistry of the brain rather than some ideology or "truth".

In my experience, there are very few who have actually read it in full at all

I have 3 different editions and still do read them although I'm not religious.

The New Jerusalem Bible (Catholic)

The New World Translation (Jehovah Witness)

And a King James Bible.

Not one is anywhere near the original copied and translated New Testament texts and most rely on the romanticised King James translations for effect.

I read it for all the freaky weirdness like Ezekiel:

It's pretty far out when read in a modern day context but is estimated to have occurred about 600BC. Considering this has come down through the last 2600 ish years it's a pretty impressive description of Ezekiels vision of divine glory in it's own right. It never ceases to amaze me how this stuff lasts through centuries and survives war, famines, diseases and whatever else life throws around. I believe some scholars look upon this as the first vision that pre-told the coming of the messiah...............not that I'd know as I'm no expert!

It's pretty far out when read in a modern day context but is estimated to have occurred about 600BC. Considering this has come down through the last 2600 ish years it's a pretty impressive description of Ezekiels vision of divine glory in it's own right. It never ceases to amaze me how this stuff lasts through centuries and survives war, famines, diseases and whatever else life throws around. I believe some scholars look upon this as the first vision that pre-told the coming of the messiah...............not that I'd know as I'm no expert!

A lot of these visions that prophets had have been attributed to taking hallucinogenic substances which was quite common at the time. Similar to Carlos Castaneda and his Shaman rituals done to obtain that "higher knowledge."