The Bible is a awesome Book even if you dont believe its Gods word

There are regularly people speaking up against spiteful, hateful and/or discriminatory remarks all the time on SF, not sure how you see that as amoral :huh:

I have no doubt that there are moral people on SF. That doesn't mean that you are required to be. Posting on SF does not require you to hold a certain set of beliefs. In that respect SF is an amoral community. Similarly it's apolitical. You are not required to belong to any political party.

Also, I don't think it'd be a bad book for adults, do you?

Not bad, no. But is it the best possible book for teaching morals to adults? You know I'm not even sure what we're talking about here - is it the hare and the tortoise?

---------- Post added 31-08-2015 at 00:22 ----------

... And what do the fables have to say about slavery and rape :huh:

So where would you place the bible on your list and who would you say is the most influential man in history?

It wouldn't be on my list, I already read it as a kid.

I wouldn't say there's a most influential man in history, or if there is, I don't have the data to say who he is.

:(

really?

you have archelogical proof god, noah, jesus etc existed?

Using methods historians approve for many historical caricatures we can say Jesus lived and many others in the bible, not moses or noah not yet anyway!

I have no doubt that there are moral people on SF. That doesn't mean that you are required to be. Posting on SF does not require you to hold a certain set of beliefs. In that respect SF is an amoral community. Similarly it's apolitical. You are not required to belong to any political party.
You seem to be synonimising beliefs with morals, they are not the same. If you're talking about the Forum itself being amoral, of course it is, it isn't a sentient being, it's merely a virtual place where members discuss things, the majority of whom do have morals.

Not bad, no. But is it the best possible book for teaching morals to adults?
Better than a book that condones cruelty and suffering to fulfil the pleasures of a supernatural being, without a doubt.

You know I'm not even sure what we're talking about here - is it the hare and the tortoise?
Yes, that's one of the fables. In the same way that Orwell did Animal Farm.

And what do the fables have to say about slavery and rape :huh:

I honestly couldn't tell you at this moment, I read Aesop's Fables long before I read the Bible, and that was a long time ago. WHat I can tell you is that Aesop himself was a slave and most of his fables (not all necessarily authored by his hand) were a kind of rationalised karma tale. There were more than a few that basically said "Don't do nasty stuff to others", the difference being that he didn't have an earlier half to his book that said "Do nasty stuff to others, if I want you to".

It wouldn't be on my list, I already read it as a kid.

I wouldn't say there's a most influential man in history, or if there is, I don't have the data to say who he is.

It's just a personal opinion of who you think might be on that list. On Google jesus is not always top but in most of the lists he is top 3, number one in most, not a bad result for someone who is preached as a myth by atheists

Yours number one might be Plato if he is real

It's just a personal opinion of who you think might be on that list. On Google jesus is not always top but in most of the lists he is top 3, number one in most, not a bad result for someone who is preached as a myth by atheists

Yours number one might be Plato if he is real

Well, it was a 'to-do/to read' list, which is why the Bible wouldn't be on it.

Also, being an atheist (someone without belief in any gods) doesn't mean you have to be interested in philosophy. There's plenty of ignorant atheists who couldn't give a fig about philosophy, just like there's many theists (believers) who are ignorant and don't care either.

You seem to be synonimising beliefs with morals, they are not the same. If you're talking about the Forum itself being amoral, of course it is, it isn't a sentient being, it's merely a virtual place where members discuss things, the majority of whom do have morals.

Better than a book that condones cruelty and suffering to fulfil the pleasures of a supernatural being, without a doubt.

Yes, that's one of the fables. In the same way that Orwell did Animal Farm.

I honestly couldn't tell you at this moment, I read Aesop's Fables long before I read the Bible, and that was a long time ago. WHat I can tell you is that Aesop himself was a slave and most of his fables (not all necessarily authored by his hand) were a kind of rationalised karma tale. There were more than a few that basically said "Don't do nasty stuff to others", the difference being that he didn't have an earlier half to his book that said "Do nasty stuff to others, if I want you to".

I think there are a lot of people think the way you do and with very understandable reasons. This is why we take the time to run informed factual seminars (see the link below ) we don't ask anybody to believe that's a personal response, there are solid answers to your bible objections.. Engage and if something is worthwhile it will probably take a little effort.

I think there are a lot of people think the way you do and with very understandable reasons. This is why we take the time to run informed factual seminars (see the link below ) we don't ask anybody to believe that's a personal response, there are solid answers to your bible objections.. Engage and if something is worthwhile it will probably take a little effort.

Where do you get your information and facts from?

EDIT: Do you realise that the large header on the home page displays:

"Is is time to work on your understanding of the Bible" (no question mark either)

The first sub-menu is titled "Learn to read". It doesn't inspire confidence.

Edited by RootsBooster

If the bible is god's word why didn't he make it so that it was understandable?

Why the need for organisations like the one you're promoting here to teach people how to 'read the bible properly'?

Also, how should I treat my slaves according to the bible?

If the bible is god's word why didn't he make it so that it was understandable?

Considering most people were illiterate throughout the evolution of the bible you'd have thought the radio would have been created before the written word...'he' does move in long drawn out mysterious ways though, apparently.

Edited by cassity

The Romans didn't have laws? I reckon I'd fear Roman law more than God.

What have the Romans ever done for us eh? :hihi:

Where do you get your information and facts from?

EDIT: Do you realise that the large header on the home page displays:

"Is is time to work on your understanding of the Bible" (no question mark either)

The first sub-menu is titled "Learn to read". It doesn't inspire confidence.

You're right, it doesn't. I'd probably go further and say it's lazy missionary work via cyber space. I can imagine lots of missionaries twiddling their thumbs...time to call the unions.