On The (Old) Buses

I don't know if my memory is playing tricks on me but I seem to recall larger than normal front-engined buses that were brought into service in 1958 or 59. Anyway it was around the time the first Atlanteans were introduced. I think there were relatively few of them & they weren't in service very long.

Only slightly off topic, does anyone remember the "trackless" buses that replaced trams in Rotherham, and does anyone know if they used the same overhead lines as the trams?

I don't know if my memory is playing tricks on me but I seem to recall larger than normal front-engined buses that were brought into service in 1958 or 59. Anyway it was around the time the first Atlanteans were introduced. I think there were relatively few of them & they weren't in service very long.

Hi fatrajah, You are probably referring to the AEC Bridgemaster 76 seaters which first appeared in 1958 and I remember them on the Gleadless 102 Route.They were later to be found around Anston and Wombwell and had rear entry platforms which were becoming unfashionable.A single new bus with front entry doors arrived in 1961 being a 72 seater.

All were disposed of in the period 1969 to 1972 so your memory is still OK !

---------- Post added 02-09-2015 at 16:24 ----------

Only slightly off topic, does anyone remember the "trackless" buses that replaced trams in Rotherham, and does anyone know if they used the same overhead lines as the trams?

The ''trackless' or trollybuses were a separate system which also covered the areas of Mexborough and Swinton when I was visiting relatives in the 1940's. They were speedy single deckers though later years saw the Kimberworth route using Double deckers.

The Sandtoft Trolleybus Museum has preserved examples, have a look at their website and they do operate a small circuit there near Doncaster.

The ticket machine which issued the white ticket off of a roll was a TIM but I am not sure if this was just the brand name as I was a conductor and driver in the mid 60s for Sheffield Corporation Transport at Townhead Street.

It was a waybill which you recorded the start and finish numbers of the tickets on and hoped the tickets issued tallied with the cash you had in your bag

TIM a acronym for Ticket Issuing Machine, the other machines were the Ultimate which had a row of levers which when pressed issue the ticket on at a time to what ever value was needed, the other was the Setright, this one had a handle which once the value had been set was turned once to issue a ticket.

Hi fatrajah, You are probably referring to the AEC Bridgemaster 76 seaters which first appeared in 1958 and I remember them on the Gleadless 102 Route.They were later to be found around Anston and Wombwell and had rear entry platforms which were becoming unfashionable.A single new bus with front entry doors arrived in 1961 being a 72 seater.

The ''trackless' or trollybuses were a separate system which also covered the areas of Mexborough and Swinton when I was visiting relatives in the 1940's. They were speedy single deckers though later years saw the Kimberworth route using Double deckers.

The Sandtoft Trolleybus Museum has preserved examples, have a look at their website and they do operate a small circuit there near Doncaster.

Thanks, just checked out the web site. Never knew they were so wide spread, only really remember the single deckers in Rotherham, as a kid.

---------- Post added 02-09-2015 at 15:30 ----------

Another question on this topic, does anyone know if any lowered double deckers were preserved. These buses were used by both Rotherham corp.(33) and Sheffield(21) to run under the Treeton railway bridge at he bottom of Mill Lane. Don't really know if they were used elsewhere. They were very peculiar as every row of seats was 4 deep starting from the curbside window, and a lowered walkway on the right hand side. Pain in the backside if you were in the window seat and was getting off before the others lol. Almost like being at the pictures and wanting to go, except the bloody seat could not be folded back.

Edited by TORONTONY

Some information on Rotherham trolleybuses can be found here, scanned from this book, published in 1957.

Ah, our old friend Ian Allan, not just a trainspotter, was he? Very interesting. thanks.

Ah, our old friend Ian Allan, not just a trainspotter, was he? Very interesting. thanks.

Wonder if he ever saw "Uganda 5636" at the Midland Station. It was a common site in 1950, a classic!

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 11:48 ----------

I remember that the drivers and the clippies would get quite chummy on their tea break in Pond Street. Must have been quite a bit o' that there going on.

Our Arbouthorne bus was waiting to take off one day and somebody shouted out the window at the pair of them to ,"stop mankin, and let's get gewin". :)

Hi all,

I believe that the bus/coach company which my wife's family founded in around 1912 had at least one AEC Bridgemaster in later years.

See the thread 'Fosters coaches Dinnington' on this forum.

I remember the 'trackless' buses in Rotherham and in particular, in one bad winter in the early sixties whilst I was riding my Lambretta motor scooter, being showered with ice as it was shaved off the overhead wires by the trollies. :)

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Thanks, just checked out the web site. Never knew they were so wide spread, only really remember the single deckers in Rotherham, as a kid.

---------- Post added 02-09-2015 at 15:30 ----------

Another question on this topic, does anyone know if any lowered double deckers were preserved. These buses were used by both Rotherham corp.(33) and Sheffield(21) to run under the Treeton railway bridge at he bottom of Mill Lane. Don't really know if they were used elsewhere. They were very peculiar as every row of seats was 4 deep starting from the curbside window, and a lowered walkway on the right hand side. Pain in the backside if you were in the window seat and was getting off before the others lol. Almost like being at the pictures and wanting to go, except the bloody seat could not be folded back.

East Midland had some of those buses too.

Edited by stpetre
ADD

This sunday 20th Nov is the second ecclesall road charity running day , services leave Arundel gate AG13 - the stop that the X1 uses heading to moorfoot.

Services run every 15 min from 1030 to 1630 buses run to endcliffe park , dore fox house

more details on face book

ecclesall road charity bus running day

I've mentioned this before, I finished my Army stint (National Service) in Christmas '53, so I am assuming it was close to this date or shortly after. They had a couple of Blackpool buses all decked out in Blackpool livery on the Petre St run which went to Graves Park (whether they were used on any other route I don't know), I suppose the idea was to see if people liked or took to the more modern bus with central doors and stairs etc. I've often thought there had to have been a few accidents over the years on the old style rear open entrance with people falling off or being dragged clinging to the pole (which sounds comical now I suppose), I know I had a few near misses over the years. fleetwood