On The (Old) Buses

I went with Mrs hillsbro to the car boot sale at Hemswell this morning - and look what we saw being offered..for sale, complete with rolls of tickets! I didn't ask the price - not wanting to embark on a new career as a bus conductor, and not having a time machine..:)

Your posts always trigger some long forgotten memory, and it all comes rushing back.

I may be wrong but I believe that different ticketing systems (and machines) were used on different routes.

The busy routes with the double-deckers had the hand held mousetrap machine with the many colored tickets because there were so many bus stops, price options (fare stages), and a lot of on and off short run passengers. (think rush hour in Sheffield)

The longer routes, Castleton, Lodge moor had the single decker coaches, with far fewer stops, so they needed fewer colors for their tickets, which after all were designed to make an inspector's job quick and easy. (think market day in Bakewell)

And yes, I do need to get a life! :)

Edited by trastrick

Hasn't there been some sort of vintage bus rally today ?

Free rides up to Owler bar I believe..

Anyone been ?

The ultimate machine which Hillsbor'o showed was in either 5 or 6 and ticket values were 1d, 3d, 4d, 5d, 6d for the five machine and the one with 6 had 9d ticket.

The T.I.M. machine which issued tickets with purple ink on white paper was able to print tickets from 1d up to 9s-11d as it had dial on the top for pence 1 to 11 and underneath was a little lever which went from 1 shilling to 9 shillings so you had to remember to put it back to zero or you would be out of pocket at the end of your shift, these were mainly used on the out of town routes where the fares were more expencive like Manchester which was around 6 shillings when I was on in the mid 60s

Anyone been ?

Seen three at various times today a green open backer red single decker and a Sheffield corporation cream/ blue double decker. Wondered same myself

Anyone been ?

It was the Sheffield Running Day

http://busflixfilms.wix.com/sheffield-runningday

Would have liked to be there but other commitments closer to home prevented it :(

Can we organise a Free running steam day from the Midland and back to to reverse at the Totley cutting. Hillsboro could provide a running commentary !!

Does anyone remember the conductor who "sang" the stops in the 60's? I came across him just once and clearly remember him singing out "Swallowwsnest"

Can we organise a Free running steam day from the Midland and back to to reverse at the Totley cutting. Hillsboro could provide a running commentary !!
Good idea - let's have an ex-LMS tank engine pulling a rake of 1920s suburban coaches (as per Hope Valley line locals in the early 1960s). We can go to Dore & Totley stopping at Heeley, Millhouses & Ecclesall and Beauchief just to pay homage to departed stations, then transfer to a fleet of vintage buses for the return journey via Abbeydale Road. Pity I didn't buy a ticket machine at Hemswell on Sunday or I could have made a packet selling souvenir tickets.
And could it have a Bar ? :love:
Now I'm really beginning to warm to the idea..:P Edited by hillsbro

My mum a conductor in the early 50s. She came home once and started to cry when her mum asked her what was up she said that she had seen tomorrow's rota and she was being sent to Wales her mum started laughing and told her it was not the country the she was being sent to but the nearby town.

i dont remember trams much but got and old tram poster dated 1935

Hi Hillsbro, IF ONLY ! Something for me to dream about tonight