On The (Old) Buses

As a kid I remember if you had to stand up because the bus was packed, down at the front in the middle was a large mettle hump (probably the drive shaft) you could sit on, and when it was dark and the lights came on the driver could roll a curtain down behind himself so he could still see the road.

Edited by grinder

As a kid I remember if you had to stand up because the bus was packed, down at the front in the middle was a large mettle hump (probably the drive shaft) you could sit on

Funnily enough, I was going to mention this! I guess it was the bell housing of the gearbox.

Well, in this case it was "googling" that found the photos; sometimes I use my little collection of memorabilia - here is an example.

Here are a few excerpts from an article I wrote in 1998 for "Routes" - the staff magazine of "First Mainline":

The 16 (later 61) to Low Bradfield was was a popular route. At least, it was popular in the days before all the regular Damflask fisherman bought themselves the cars that now impede traffic on the B6077, while their owners catch tiddlers. The bus used to terminate at the now long-gone “Cross Inn”, and this involved a tricky three-point turn with little space to spare, especially if the pub regulars’ cars, tractors etc. were in the way. One incident was the talk of the public bar for months - it involved a bus driver who, one summer evening, came into the pub and not-too-delicately demanded that the owner of a Land Rover parked outside remove it, as it was preventing the bus turning round. The “culprit” turned out to be a local farmer, who curtly told the driver that his Land Rover was not in the way. The bus driver insisted that he could not turn the bus round until it was removed, whereupon Farmer Giles replied “If tha can’t turn that bus round in that space, tha dun’t deserve to be drivin’ it”. The driver then replied “If tha thinks tha can turn it round, thee ‘ave a go”. The farmer finished his pint, went outside and turned the bus round at the first attempt. Maybe it was this driver whose idea it was, some time later, to move the terminus away from the pub. This spoiled the fun.

And for many years there was an early Sunday morning journey on the 16 which ran during the trout fishing season only!

I don't imagine there were many municipal operators with that in their timetable.

Incidentally, we always thought it 'lucky' to get one of the Bell punch tickets, where the serial numbers added up to 21. I wonder if that is how the one that Hillsbro linked to has survived!

Of course, 21! Rings a bell.

Now you reminded me, it was a big deal to find one. Some kind of betting game? A free ride?

And speaking of betting I don't suppose anybody remembers those little square sealed folded tickets you bought for a few pence, that you tore along the perforation to reveal a set of numbers you could check in the back of the Star or something?

I'll bet even Hillsboro doesn't have one?

...Incidentally, we always thought it 'lucky' to get one of the Bell punch tickets, where the serial numbers added up to 21. I wonder if that is how the one that Hillsbro linked to has survived!...
Could well be - and the ticket was even issued at fare stage 21!
...those little square sealed folded tickets you bought for a few pence, that you tore along the perforation to reveal a set of numbers you could check in the back of the Star or something? I'll bet even Hillsboro doesn't have one?
No, but I remember them well!

Best laugh I had on one of the old back loaders was one Monday morning on my way on to school on a 52 bus heading to Sheffield, somewhere around Darnall. The bus was jammed full and the gobby conductress was in a bad mood and started yelling at some kids to get off as there was way more than 8 standing. I was upstairs seated near the curbside window, when the conductress got off the bus and said that the bus would stay there until the last few people got off, unfortunately for her, she didn't let the driver know and some kid rang the bell and off we went, with the distraught woman running behind, she never made it back on the bus and I went as far as the Wicker. The kids on the bus were in hysterics all the way to town. :D

Edited by TORONTONY

I remember the 7.10am 38 from Lowedges to Sheffield. When it was a cold morning the old back loaders use to have brown juice dripping from the top deck roof in the form of condensation from the cigarette smoke. Its a wonder we are still here to tell the tale.

I remember those though, I used to catch the 8.20am no.150 from Hartleybrook Shops to Bridge St. In the 50's. I used to work in the Co op cash office on Snig Hill dealing with the 31/2d club, Hire Purchase, Credit Sales, Trading Club etc. Remember those anyone? Oh and of course you share no.

I seem to remember that on the new buses there weren't conductors, instead was an "honour" slot, where you could slide in some change, unchecked. We had little honour in those days!

In T.O. here you put your money in a glass jar where the driver can check it before flipping it into the box.

I went with Mrs hillsbro to the car boot sale at Hemswell this morning - and look what we saw being offered..for sale, complete with rolls of tickets! I didn't ask the price - not wanting to embark on a new career as a bus conductor, and not having a time machine..:)

I went with Mrs hillsbro to the car boot sale at Hemswell this morning - and look what we saw being offered..for sale, complete with rolls of tickets! I didn't ask the price - not wanting to embark on a new career as a bus conductor, and not having a time machine..:)

Ah Hemswell, they filmed a lot of "The Dam Busters" there.

Ah Hemswell, they filmed a lot of "The Dam Busters" there.

The highlight of my day trips to the seaside was seeing the Lacasters at the RAF base. There was always one or two on the airfield