On The (Old) Buses

My mum was a conductor in the early 50s. Just after she started she came home crying and said to my grandma that she had been told that the next day her bus was going to Wales she thought it was the country not the nearby town she calmed down when this was pointed out.

As for conductors -male and female- anyone recall what year their great services were last used and was there any event to mark the occasion ?

As for conductors -male and female- anyone recall what year their great services were last used and was there any event to mark the occasion ?

Around 1954, on the Arbourthorne, they had the regular rear loading buses that had an experimental "honour box" installed to drop in the fare. For a while, they also had a conductor to keep an eye on folks dropping in their fares.

They must have lost a lot of fare revenue with an "honour box", on our old Arbouthorne :)

The two kinds of stops were officially "Motor Bus Fare Stage" and "Bus Stops by Request"

I was a conductor and later driver.

In Sheffield the stops were actually bus stop and request stop, the driver was supposed to stop at every bus stop whether there was anyone there or not, then wait for two bells before moving off. At a request stop he was not officially allowed to stop unless a person at the stop actually put their arm out or he received a single bell. Later on at least we worked all stops on the bell but if a driver was sheeted (reported) for going past a bus stop when someone wanted off he would face discipline at head office.

That was one reason we didn't like passengers using the bell, multiple bells were confusing, three would mean full standing load and he would keep going. From memory the usual call to the conductor was ''next stop please''.

A fare stage was a stop where the fare increased / decreased and was the places listed in the conductors fare book.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

The two kinds of stops were officially "Motor Bus Fare Stage" and "Bus Stops by Request"

I was a conductor and later driver.

In Sheffield the stops were actually bus stop and request stop, the driver was supposed to stop at every bus stop whether there was anyone there or not, then wait for two bells before moving off. At a request stop he was not officially allowed to stop unless a person at the stop actually put their arm out or he received a single bell. Later on at least we worked all stops on the bell but if a driver was sheeted (reported) for going past a bus stop when someone wanted off he would face discipline at head office.

That was one reason we didn't like passengers using the bell, multiple bells were confusing, three would mean full standing load and he would keep going. From memory the usual call to the conductor was ''next stop please''.

A fare stage was a stop where the fare increased / decreased and was the places listed in the conductors fare book.

Thanks, interesting stuff!

I guess I was thinking of what it actually said on the signs I remembered.

Give me a break, this site is for old folks, anyway :)

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

The sign at the stop we used to catch the bus to Town had " Compulsory Stop" incorporated in the wording, presumably as a safety measure to ensure that any hazard e.g. steep hill or busy junction, was approached at a low speed.

Maybe a timing point as well in some locations?

Did Sheffield ever have any bus stops worded 'both directions' like in Derbyshire?

Thanks, interesting stuff!

I guess I was thinking of what it actually said on the signs I remembered.

Give me a break, this site is for old folks, anyway :)

Sorry I didn't mean to be offensive or awkward and don't claim my memories to be correct, it was a long time back. I loved the back loaders and I don't think I would have moved on to driving if they had not gone. Being a conductor was a great and easy job if you had a good driver, if not it could be the opposite.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

Sorry I didn't mean to be offensive or awkward and don't claim my memories to be correct, it was a long time back. I loved the back loaders and I don't think I would have moved on to driving if they had not gone. Being a conductor was a great and easy job if you had a good driver, if not it could be the opposite.

This might have been covered before, but do you recall what the big deal was about getting a bus ticket with a serial number that added up to 21 ?

TIA

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

This might have been covered before, but do you recall what the big deal was about getting a bus ticket with a serial number that added up to 21 ?

TIA

Sorry, never heard of that one, I wonder what year/machine type that would be, someone on hear will probably remember.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

Wasn't it the 10 and 17 before the 34 period on the Petre Street route ?

Wasn't it the 10 and 17 before the 34 period on the Petre Street route ?

Yes the Petre Street route (Reform Chapel, Upwell Lane or only as far as Hunsley Street) was a No 10 to I think the late 1950's, after that the 34 & 35.

Not sure about the No 17 but there was a route that ran from Firth Park/? or Lane Top ? along Upwell Street- Hawke Street- Jansen Street then Attercliffe Common and on to wherever, perhaps that was the 17. Also another one in that area that went from Southey Green via Page Hall, Carlisle Road, Newhall Road to Brompton Road, Attercliffe.