Ten Sheffield beautiful buildings

The whole thing has been carefully designed and built to complement its surroundings and immediate community - something that cannot be said for most of the monstrosities that have sprung forth from the city of late. How so many of them have gained local authority approval beggars belief, it really does.

Two things spring to mind:

Money: Developers build for profit. Most non-civic buildings have almost always historically been built for profit, but I think now more than ever developers want to squeeze as much as they can out of their prjects, and one of the first cost savings is the quality of the aesthetic design. Obviously some design quality has to remain - few people will pay any decent money to live in a complete monster - but generally speaking I think without control, developers will chuck up anything regardless of how it looks. Which brings me on to point 2:

Planning Control: I don't necessarily even think it's that SCC's planners aren't good at their jobs (remember planning is a red-tape nightmare, dictation on the rules comes from above their heads), but SCC as a whole has a weak reputation amongst developers, and more to the point, Sheffield is a city with an economy which does not attract really high-end developments, and it's very much a case of beggars can't be choosers. Some stronger economies (Manchester, Leeds etc.) can tell developers to go and have a rethink with more certainty and financial stability than perhaps Sheffield can. SCC would be right to think that sending a developer away might lead to them not coming back, rather than improving their proposal.

That's not always a guarantee of quality though; Leeds for example, despite it's economic strength has several absolutely beastly buildings on it's skyline, but it also benefits from some beautiful and innovative new buildings too.

I'd have to go with the Cathedral and the old court house (shame it's not being preserved)

Great review of Sheffield's buildings here.

The glazed brick buildings (Bachelor's factory?) at the top of the Wicker are included here and are sublime...the Royal Exchange Buildings

Another ten, if I may ( see post #10 for my previous thoughts):-

By the way, OP, are you still deciding which ten you would choose?

Hi andingmen, I have decided on three so far - the Green mosque on Wolseley Rd. the substation near where Lancaster Europa used to be, and the old Grosvenor hotel. All very different, yet equally beautiful. Seven more to come - soon.

Out of curiosity, andingmen - how did you know my initials are OP?

Hi andingmen, I have decided on three so far - the Green mosque on Wolseley Rd. the substation near where Lancaster Europa used to be, and the old Grosvenor hotel. All very different, yet equally beautiful. Seven more to come - soon.

Out of curiosity, andingmen - how did you know my initials are OP?

Actually, the mosque on Wolseley Road appears to have divided opinion on both the "beautiful" and "ugly" current threads equally.

As for my two penn'orth, I think it's a pretty tacky, poor build quality religious establishment, at least as seen from the outside. It's also in the wrong place both aesthetically and, from a traffic point of view, practically. I suppose though there were many constraints which made it end up how, and where, it is.

But, hey, sorry, we're supposed to be discussing positives on this thread.....

So I'm interested to see your next seven ideas, Blowfealt.

Yeah, but realistically what will they spend all that money to do with them?

I went for a wander down there a couple of weeks ago to take some photos, the people hanging about the bus stops looked like something of star wars.

Unless they want to turn them into a smack rehab centre, Well still have an abandoned building.

I confess that resurrecting this thread is a blatant attempt to counter the negativity of the ugly buildings thread.

However I’ve been thinking more about this topic and now suggest a whole cluster of beautiful buildings in the Kenwood/Nether Edge area. As a lad, a good few years ago now, I used to deliver the Readers’ Digest to many of these houses. I was always stunned by the elegance and size of many of the residences, with their stone exteriors, huge rooms and vast gardens. They just exuded wealth and grandeur to a young lad like me. I always dreamt that one day I might be in a position to own one.

Most of these houses are still here. Many are now offices or converted into flats.

I’m still dreaming…

I've often wandered through the city centre on a grey day feeling miserable, only to look upwards and see a little gargoyle leering down at me from above an otherwise unremarkable shop front, or a bit of elaborate detailing I hadn't noticed before, or the antiquated lettering from the building's previous use. That always makes me smile.

I quite like the university law building... although has anyone noticed how, erm, phallic its railings are? :S

That white one on fargate with the clock tower.

Old uni building on western bank.

Lyceum.

That old stone building opp bottom wellie penistone rd.

That white one on fargate with the clock tower.

Old uni building on western bank.

Lyceum.

That old stone building opp bottom wellie penistone rd.

Agreed, actionman - they are both rather nice examples.