Ten Sheffield beautiful buildings

The most beautiful for me is, without a doubt, the mosque at Heeley Bottom. And before anyone asks or comments, no I don't worship at that or any other mosque as I'm Catholic.

I don't like it since it looks like it was done on the cheap.

I like the interior of the Catholic cathedral.

Guest sibon
I don't like it since it looks like it was done on the cheap.

I like the interior of the Catholic cathedral.

I was going to put St Marie's on my list. Come to think of it, all of Norfolk St is lovely.

I strongly suspect this post is a wind-up.

Either that or you've not taken your medication today.

like I have said before, there are too many poorly educated idiots round here who think buildings are only beautiful if they're made from carved stone.

Globe Works on Penistone Road, Butcher Works on Arundel Street, Eye Witness Works on Milton Street…these are great buildings and unique to Sheffield.

I also like the Arts Tower. And, not a building as such but the grand stone houses climbing up and down the hills in areas like Brincliffe, Nether Edge, Broomhill are lovely.

Globe Works on Penistone Road, Butcher Works on Arundel Street, Eye Witness Works on Milton Street…these are great buildings and unique to Sheffield.

I also like the Arts Tower. And, not a building as such but the grand stone houses climbing up and down the hills in areas like Brincliffe, Nether Edge, Broomhill are lovely.

I like the Arts Tower as well. Poorly designed (ever tried walking between it and the library when it's windy?) but iconic and dramatic...and it has a paternoster.

ha, yes that is true, i was once blown off my bike there!

The wind tunnel effect is a problem, but it's a beautiful building viewed from a distance, especially since it got it's external overhaul and especially if viewing the slimmer side, from the Lower Don Valley.

...By the way, OP, are you still deciding which ten you would choose? ...

Stuff, plus the bank holiday long weekend, intervened before I had a chance to have much of a think about my list.

In no particular order:

Central library

The Lyceum

The City Hall

The Town Hall

Cutlers' Hall

The glasshouses in the Botanical Gardens

Weston Park Museum and Mappin Art Gallery

Fitzalan Square post office building

These buildings

This building

ETA: And the Mappin Building should be on that list too.

Edited by Guest

The most beautiful for me is, without a doubt, the mosque at Heeley Bottom. And before anyone asks or comments, no I don't worship at that or any other mosque as I'm Catholic.

I agree - totally, hagardriley . No matter what religion, craftsmanship/Artistic ability should be universally appreciated.

Look closely at the work that has gone into the mosque - the columns are particularly impressive, the way the bricks have been laid to spiral upwards is reminiscent of Victorian architecture - a skill I thought had been lost forever.

The whole thing has been carefully designed and built to complement its surroundings and immediate community - something that cannot be said for most of the monstrosities that have sprung forth from the city of late. How so many of them have gained local authority approval beggars belief, it really does.

I have found it really interesting comparing this thread with the thread about the ugliest building in Sheffield:-

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1420608

and the thread in the History/Expats section about now-demolished buildings that you'd like to see rebuilt:-

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1421345

It just goes to prove the old saying about "beauty is in the eye....etc"

I can't help wondering though that some of the ugliest building people have quoted might not, in later years, be looked back on with rather more affection than is now the case.

I'm thinking, for example, of the Grosvenor Hotel which I think is a classic example of sixties architecture and even the "Eggbox" which, has to be admitted was a unique and striking design.

Each to their own, I guess.