Sheffields ugly buildings

There are uglier buildings in Sheffield.

There certainly are.

The red scaffolding in Barkers Pool is dreadful,I like the Uni building .

It is down to taste I suppose.... The first time I saw it I was walking up Mappin Street & I was admiring the architecture of St George's Church & then saw the Uni building. Because it was next to the beautiful church, it somehow seemed uglier.

Still what do I know about taste? I like the Manpower / Moorfoot building....

Seems most of the ugly buildings are instigated by the University, another monstrosity is to be built next to the Jury Inn on top of Furnival Street, a purpose built accommodation block for students, there's plenty of brown field sites in Attercliffe and such, seems the University can do just as they please.

Certainly agree with Brookhill diamond building that ruins view of church

and now the Chinese village development at Bramall Lane the tower ruins the other church!!

Over the last ten years or so Sheffield has witnessed some of the most horrendous Architecture ever inflicted on the City.

Number one has to be the awful structure at Brookhill on the site that used house Jessops Hospital .

It looks similar to a giant tennis ball that has been encased in a colander it makes no attempt what so ever to fit in with the surrounding environment or to have any redeeming feature to enhance the area at all.

Number two on the list is the Multi Floor sky scraper building that is just of the Piece Gardens [a private apartment building I presume ].

How could this monstrosity have passed the council planners .

The building completely over powers the lovely square that houses the winter gardens and St Pauls hotel as well as the Lyceum and Crucible theatres.

Number three is the Mosque at Heeley a building so at odds with its surroundings as to be beyond belief .

The Green towers stick up into the sky as though they have been designed by an alien from another Planet and it is another build that has made no attempt to fit in with the traditional Sheffield landscape or area.

Any more contenders welcome.

Seems most of the ugly buildings are instigated by the University, another monstrosity is to be built next to the Jury Inn on top of Furnival Street, a purpose built accommodation block for students, there's plenty of brown field sites in Attercliffe and such, seems the University can do just as they please.

Those students will be Hallam Uni students, but the university has nothing to do with it - it's a purely private development. SHU don't own any student accommodation these days.

I actually like the look of that new accommodation building.

What is it you don't like? The size and height? If so, you'd be better off in a village than a city.

---------- Post added 06-07-2016 at 18:55 ----------

Those students will be Hallam Uni students, but the university has nothing to do with it - it's a purely private development. SHU don't own any student accommodation these days.

Correct, SHU don't own anything. UNITE have monopolised student accommodation throughout the whole country. Every single one of their buildings look exactly the same; mostly brown bricks with white square patches. Ugly.

Edited by Revel

Guest makapaka

I think both universities do a good job on the whole. God help us if they weren't there. They develop some nice buildings - not to everyone's taste but have also saved a lot of buildings as well. The gpo being one.

what do you actually want then, small sheds, loads of wasteland and surface car parks?! some of the comments by people on here beggar belief, this is supposed to be a large city not a damn village up the arse end of nowhere. :loopy:

I think it is good that the Universities actually try and create buildings with individual character, unlike identikit buildings such as the courts at West Bar.