Angler attacked on river don

Found this shocking story in the star today

Police are hunting two men who attacked a lone angler and tried to set him on fire as he fished at a Doncaster beauty spot.

A police spokesman said: “Police are investigating after a man was reported to have been assaulted while fishing in the River Don.

“At around 11.35pm on Sunday 23 August, it was reported that the man, who was on his own near Sprotbrough Falls, was assaulted by two unknown men.

“It was reported that the men poured a substance on the victim and attempted to set fire to it. As a result, the man entered the water and the offenders left the scene.

“The man, who suffered minor injuries, called police and is helping them with enquiries.”

Police are asking anyone who witnessed the incident or has any information which may assist the investigation should contact 101 quoting incident number 1392 of Sunday 23 August.

Sounds like a daft schoolboy prank that went overboard, to me.

The school holidays are far too long in my opinion, they really are.

its happened again this week in the same place.

What pleasure do people get attacking a fisherman enjoying a days fishing this is why i only visit places like barlow as you dont get bothered by idiots there

saw this story in anglers mail. it said he was fishing an AC controlled stretch of river without a permit and he was on his own. there are 2 big dont do's here especially night fishing on your own. in this day and age i would never dream of night fishing on my own there are some twisted individuals out there im afraid. also i would never fish a water without a permit. maybe it might have been some over keen bailiff/members but i highly doubt it as his tackle wasnt smashed or taken. the quicker these goons are caught and locked up the better.