Sheffield Farmers Market

Has anyone seen the Farmers Market on Fargate today,what a shambles !!

Quote from the Markets website:

"At the farmers' markets you can buy fresh produce from local farmers and producers including bakery products, home-made pickles, chutneys and jams and a range of fresh, local meat".

The reality is a tacky noodle bar (all prepacked crap) an indian ,2 carribean stalls, a crepe stall, spanish fried crisps, a fruit shop from the Market (dutch strawberries etc).

The only 2 stalls that are even remotley relevant are the Hog roast and a Yorkshire produce stall.

Very poor attempt and definatley not a Farmers Market.

never been a farmers market....

I have never seen a farmer at a farmers market?

The Council put on an Irish market on a couple of years ago, there wasn't one stall connected to Ireland, they were all German,Italian, Jamaican etc. The only thing Irish was a small Irish flag fluttering in the breeze, pathetic.

I tend to find the term farmers market is very varied,often including home made produce,arts,crafts and a mixture of fruit veg and meats,fish ect,but this one seems to be taking it to the very limit to say the least

I tend to find the term farmers market is very varied,often including home made produce,arts,crafts and a mixture of fruit veg and meats,fish ect,but this one seems to be taking it to the very limit to say the least

Its a 'continental' market...even thats pushing it.

Are the council pricing out pitches or do we have no farmers in sheff?

The best Farmer's Markets are to be had are at Nether Edge which I think may be a monthly one. The produce is always local and excellent.

The other, again a monthly one, is at Wentworth Garden Centre. Lots of local meat stalls, selling venison, ostrich, rabbit and pigeon pies as well as more regular meats, pork, beef etc.

I have put monthly in this post but you should check as I am not 100% sure on that, sorry. But they are fab markets

Nether Edge Farmers Market is quarterly, but the next one is only two weeks away on 13th September.

And I agree that the town centre farmers market was a pretty poor affair, looked like only half a dozen stalls, mainly hot food takeaways, sure it used to be better than that, but perhaps its never generated enough atmosphere and so customers and therefore stallholders have drifted away. Nether Edge Farmers Market is always buzzing and (nearly) always has great weather!

Edited by montie
didn't answer original topic