Henry's, Cambridge St

My understanding was that Henrys was on the 2nd phase for demolition sometime in 2017 whereas the first phase was for the Grosvenor block who all had to leave by 30th June.

Maybe things have changed and Henrys will now be affected by the first phase of the demolition which will involve the closing of the street outside opposite the Grosvenor block.

The signs in the windows indicate that the closure is temporary though!

All rather odd as the Council leases all had a 3 month notice period so presumably that's been served.

Always liked Henry's as a bar. But the quality of the beer was not so good. I'm gonna give it another go soon to see what the refit is like, but not holding out much hope :)

Always liked Henry's as a bar. But the quality of the beer was not so good. I'm gonna give it another go soon to see what the refit is like, but not holding out much hope :)

Your experience reflects mine. However, I can't imagine a refit if it's coming down next year anyway. I do wonder if they have been told they can't use the main entrance whilst the block opposite comes down, but do wonder why they can't use the one that opens onto Cambridge Street. Unless they are currently doing work to facilitate this as I haven't seen that door open in years.

Your experience reflects mine. However, I can't imagine a refit if it's coming down next year anyway. I do wonder if they have been told they can't use the main entrance whilst the block opposite comes down, but do wonder why they can't use the one that opens onto Cambridge Street. Unless they are currently doing work to facilitate this as I haven't seen that door open in years.

I walked in and out via that door a few weeks back on a warm Saturday afternoon.

I strolled past again yesterday. I think the closure may be due to the Grosvenor(spelling) coming down. the road has been fenced off at one end and fenced off on the corner pretty much closing both entrances/exits to the place. so presumably they are unable to open due to fire regs and such.

Just wondered if there was any possibility that Henry's which was situated at the bottom of Cambridge Street could eventually reopen?

The current plan is for it to be flattened and a 'food court' kind of building to be built on the site. I'd rather it was retained and adapted for that kind of new use if that is what's happening there. Or worst case retain the facade as an entrance to the new space.

But I think it could all change as things progress. So who knows it may reopen. We need some decent bars round that area.

Guest makapaka
10 hours ago, Bilge said:

The current plan is for it to be flattened and a 'food court' kind of building to be built on the site. I'd rather it was retained and adapted for that kind of new use if that is what's happening there. Or worst case retain the facade as an entrance to the new space.

But I think it could all change as things progress. So who knows it may reopen. We need some decent bars round that area.

I agree. It’s a shame I miss the place.

the little micro bar around the corner was also decent.

On 19/02/2020 at 21:34, Bilge said:

Good news. That is the plan now. 

https://sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/news/block-h-cultural-heart/

"In contrast, the development for H3 (to be known as Cambridge Street Collective) will be aiming to retain as much of the quality, existing fabric and façades along Cambridge Street and Wellington Street as feasible – helping to attractively balance the old and new across the site." 

"The emerging proposals for this block now showcase the retention of far more original architecture than envisaged in the 2018 masterplan. Plans now include the preservation and sympathetic restoration of the quality fabric and façades along Cambridge Street and Wellington Street, including the listed Bethel Sunday School and Leah’s Yard, as well as the Bethel Chapel and the buildings that formerly housed Brewhouse and Henry’s. The historic buildings fronting these streets will be kept with internal adaptations and reconstruction carried out where necessary to bring them back into use." 

I don't say this often, but congratulations to SCC for this enlightened and sensible decision! 

Henry’s is or was the Barleycorn.

That’s great news. Well done planners.

What a blessing it was that 7Stone (bad name, bad idea) never happened. The developments in the centre that we’re getting now are exactly what we need.