Henry's, Cambridge St

Drove past earlier, windows are papered over and some notices are up, which I couldn't read from the car.

Closing or being refurbed, does anyone know?

According to the notices on the windows it's being re-painted and will take a few weeks.

With any luck they will get some better beer on too

...and maybe a thorough clean of everywhere as the beer sometimes has a faint vinegary hint to it which puts me off going there, although I like the place generally.

It's the place next door to Henry's, The Brewhouse that worries me.

...and maybe a thorough clean of everywhere as the beer sometimes has a faint vinegary hint to it which puts me off going there, although I like the place generally.

Not just me who thought that then?

I do like a pint of Franziskaner. It's quite easily the worst pint of it in there I've had anywhere. I've actually given them a number of chances, but they've gone back every time. Last time I asked for a taster of it and the barmaid actually said they'd just had one sent back.

It's not just that drink either.

Weird because I've never had a bad pint next door in The Brewhouse, which I understand is the same owner. Maybe because I drink ridiculously priced stouts or porters in there instead.

Not just me who thought that then?

I do like a pint of Franziskaner. It's quite easily the worst pint of it in there I've had anywhere. I've actually given them a number of chances, but they've gone back every time. Last time I asked for a taster of it and the barmaid actually said they'd just had one sent back.

It's not just that drink either.

Weird because I've never had a bad pint next door in The Brewhouse, which I understand is the same owner. Maybe because I drink ridiculously priced stouts or porters in there instead.

Maybe they have too many handpumps and not enough throughput of the beer from each one so it sits there too long. It was the same problem in the Ball in Crookes recently. I wish they'd just have a few ales and look after them all properly or don't bother at all.

unlikely, I know how much they like to pay for a cask.. :gag:

I went on Saturday night the notice on the window says we are closed for a lick of paint brewhouse open next door so a went next door.

Maybe they have too many handpumps and not enough throughput of the beer from each one so it sits there too long. It was the same problem in the Ball in Crookes recently. I wish they'd just have a few ales and look after them all properly or don't bother at all.

The cellarmanship could probably do with some improvement but yes, this is the problem from what I can tell. They don't turn 10 casks over quickly enough to keep it fresh. They should reduce down to 6 pumps and try and maintain quality, as well as putting some different types of beer on. I mainly drink darker beers and can't count the number of times I've walked out because there's been 10 pale ales on.

Guest makapaka
It's the place next door to Henry's, The Brewhouse that worries me.

Why - what don't you like about it?