Gig cancellation refunds? Why not refund the booking fee?

An interesting one this, and I've not come across before. So I bought a ticket through a well known and famous on line ticket agency for a gig in Sheffield that has now been cancelled, due to the lead singer having a cyst on his throat. Apparently, because I bought through this agency, to get an early ticket and choice of seat etc, I am entitled to a refund of the ticket cost for the gig, but the booking fee of £3.50 will not be refunded? OK, so it probably states this in the small print and Terms and Conditions but seems pretty mean to me.

Anyone any experience of this? Seems like theft to me :(

Did you pay through Visa?

you can either go section 75 on credit card or chargeback on debit card.

you said yourself, booked through an agency to get early ticket and choice of seat...

these are the benefits you get for booking through an agency, and you pay the 'booking fee' to cover that cost (how else would the agency make money/keep running?) - because the booking fee isn't the bands charge, it's not the band refunding it, so you don't get it back...

you said yourself, booked through an agency to get early ticket and choice of seat...

these are the benefits you get for booking through an agency, and you pay the 'booking fee' to cover that cost (how else would the agency make money/keep running?) - because the booking fee isn't the bands charge, it's not the band refunding it, so you don't get it back...

HI Ghozer - I would have to agree with you. Not come across it before though. For instance, it has happened previously with Sheffield Theatres etc booking service, and because it was a health related issue they refunded the booking fee as well, and did claim it back from the band. Clearly a lesson learned :)

Anyone attempted to charge me a "booking fee" I'd break his jaw.

HI Ghozer - I would have to agree with you. Not come across it before though. For instance, it has happened previously with Sheffield Theatres etc booking service, and because it was a health related issue they refunded the booking fee as well, and did claim it back from the band. Clearly a lesson learned :)

That's because places like City hall etc are different, they are the venue, not an agency.....

When you book through an agency you pay more than the original fee, on some concerts you can pay several hundred pounds for Eagles tickets in the best seats.

In most instances today you cannot book direct with the venue.

Yea I've found most of the time you can only buy your tickets through one of the big ticket companies.

They are the only contact listed when you go looking for tickets.

When you book through an agency you pay more than the original fee, on some concerts you can pay several hundred pounds for Eagles tickets in the best seats.

In most instances today you cannot book direct with the venue.

Apart from the booking fee you usually don't more via an agency. See Tickets for example charge the ticket value and then they take their cut via the booking fee.

I agree that sometimes it's more difficult to buy tickets straight from the venue, but it is possible if your quick enough and/or lucky enough. I purchased Radiohead Tickets direct from MEN or whatever it's called a few years ago.

Well there is the excessive postage costs as well.

oh sorry 'handling fee'

Apart from the booking fee you usually don't more via an agency. See Tickets for example charge the ticket value and then they take their cut via the booking fee.

I agree that sometimes it's more difficult to buy tickets straight from the venue, but it is possible if your quick enough and/or lucky enough. I purchased Radiohead Tickets direct from MEN or whatever it's called a few years ago.

Booking agencies like Ticket Master and Eventim are not charities, They buy up blocs of seats and then charge what they want.

Booking agencies like Ticket Master and Eventim are not charities, They buy up blocs of seats and then charge what they want.

I think that you're mistaken because every ticket I purchased direct from Ticketmaster and See Tickets have always been for the face value of the ticket. Their profit comes from their 'booking fee' and the 'handling fee'.

Now if your talking about the secondary ticket market, and the racket run by the ticket agencies when they state that they've sold out of tickets, and then proceed to sneakily sell ticket via viagogo and eBay for inflated prices then I'd agree with you.