Windows 10 insider thread

Had an issue with the last release (17127 - last iteration of Redstone 4) and applying update to rs5 - having scoured various posts on issues on earlier releases, the updates were failing due to internet time zone not being active! :hihi:

Also all iterations have the same Activation Key which could be another issue - even though it recognised activation as electronic (Hardware ID) that could have been another possible cause - will post keys later. ;)

Current keys are here:

https://www.intowindows.com/windows-10-preview-product-key/

Edited by swarfendor43

Hi swarfender43, your post forced me to have another look at my failed attempts to get it to update,

here are my notes.

My W10 preview machine currently running Build 17134, has had a couple attempts to update to build 17692

but failed with error: 0x80240034

Ran the Windows file checker (as Administrator) from the command line: sfc /scannow

The scan took around 30 minutes, it reported back that some files had been fixed.

Restarted now downloading build 17713, after a couple of hours and at least six auto-restarts now

running Build 17713.1002 rs5. Apparently it expires !4 Dec 2018.

No errors shown in the device manager.

My only test: print a test page of my Samsung M2026W wirelss printer, and it worked!

Will have to read-up on what's in this build.

The only glitches (so far and reported) are the Game Capture notice that should appear bottom middle of screen is centre to the right and all text overlaid over each other so it looks garbled. ;)

I did the fix routine then the scannow - can't remember if that was on previous iteration - both the 17xxx (rs4) kept stating this copy expires 02.07.2018 - now fixed with the same release as yourself.

I also discovered how to get Maleficent Free Fall, Toy Story Smash It! and Shadow Fighter 2 for Windows back on which meant going to external sites which then pulled in the Microsoft Store as not showing in the Store! LOL!

I'm staying on the slow ring, thus I've still got build 10240, and with that build I think 'Edge' is rubbish. so I've

got IE-11 configured as I like it. So here is a question: Does the latest version of 'Edge' provide for extensions?

There is now a version of VLC player available from the Microsoft Store for use with W10, its 'Free' however, I

suspect ads will appear ever time the player is used. Why do I have a nagging feeling I need a crash course in Ubuntu!

You have to hand it to M$, make an aggressive but tempting offer of a free upgrade and then hit all your new potential

customers with products they never new they needed!

Try FILEHIPPO site, free apps. VLC is there to download for free with no adverts.

I'm staying on the slow ring, thus I've still got build 10240, and with that build I think 'Edge' is rubbish. so I've

got IE-11 configured as I like it. So here is a question: Does the latest version of 'Edge' provide for extensions?

The only issues with you doing that are you won't be getting updates to IE11, so security patches etc. Plus IE11 doesn't support various stuff HTML/Javascript-wise so some sites might not work and that will only get worse. Just don't do what dude111 does an insist that IE6 is the best ever browser out there ;)

I'm not sure why a three year old post is being quoted within a topic covering MS$ Windows 10 preview releases, which by its very nature require users to modify

their actions when using the system.

At the time of W10 release it was being hailed by MS$ as the OS to replace all its previous operating systems and with a browser (MS$ Edge) to match.

In reality the OS and browser fell well short of its aspirations.

At present I'm running preview version 1803 build 17713.1002 along with Windows Defender and Controlled Folder Access enabled.

Initially I was quite keen on runing some tests to see how the OS performed but alas my enthusiasm has waned substantially.

I no longer use IE-11 and although M$ are keeping its security features up to date, but it's really not fit for purpose.

Current Software (all of which appears to function as it should)

Adobe Acrobat Reader (This is the only PDF reader that can be reliably used to enter data into PDF forms)

Firefox browser

Thunderbird mail client

Libre Office 6 0 4 2 word processor

VLC 3 0 3 media player

Well I recently updated my insider preview (slow ring) to the latest update - and guess what happened - my data got moved to One Drive without my consent (not that there was a lot) and was promptly advised that I was 'running out of space' but I could pay M$ £1.60 per month for additional storage. No thanks! :P

After saving what I needed I then removed one drive from Programs.:D