Where's the racket coming from?

Is going to get noisy again this weekend - a rave is planned for Greno woods.

Well hopefully the police can find this one and shut it down after 11pm.

I've heard these raves for at least the last ten years on the hill at Wincobank, had my sleep disturbed on several occasions but always had a poor response from 101 as only a handful of people report. I think on sat night the wind must've been blowing in a different direction as we never heard a thing. Ironically this obviously generated hundreds of complaints, forcing SYP to actually acknowledge that this was going on (rather than pretend they don't). Believe me the council and SYP know exactly where these events are and who organises them. If people report future events as much as Saturday nights got called in then maybe this will force the hand of the authorities at last.

I've nothing against anyone having a good time or a party but the noise level is really excessive sometimes.

For years & years (well over 20) there's been places out in the country that sound system would set up - they were out of everyone's way, there's minimum noise pollution and most people (bar the odd early morning jogger) wouldn't even know they were there - but the last few years seems to have seen more & more outdoor parties in sheffield itself - which just seems idleness on the sound systems part and with the inevitable keeping half of sheffield awake and all the problems that causes.

For several years recently there have been outdoor parties near Ringinglow - I think in Lady Cannings Plantation. They really were not noisy - a bit of bass, but the first most locals knew about it would be when all the exhausted and dishevelled youngsters started making their way home - an unlikely looking bunch trudging along Ringinglow Road or calling out a fleet of taxis. It was nice to see them on their way home from the party. Clearly it is possible to keep the party goers happy without keeping half the city awake.

I'm not suggesting anything. You are.

Try again. What law?

Environmental Protection Act 1990 I think.

Noise is a nuisance under Common Law, (as opposed to statue so there is no Act that covers it) and anyone is permitted to take reasonable steps to abate a nuisance. The EPA however does lays down the requirement for local authorities to abate statutory noise nuisances.

I'm not suggesting anything. You are.

Try again. What law?

Why are you asking then?

Are you driving towards a point, if so what is it?

Do you not believe that there is a law against making loud noise throughout the night?

Calm down Dear...

How bad mannered of you to ridicule what someone says with a patronising remark. People have different opinions, but we should still treat each other with respect.

Edited by thomastallis

This explains why I couldn't get in touch with the police when I tried to report someone kicking my door in the early hours.

Environmental Protection Act 1990 I think.

Noise is a nuisance under Common Law, (as opposed to statue so there is no Act that covers it) and anyone is permitted to take reasonable steps to abate a nuisance. The EPA however does lays down the requirement for local authorities to abate statutory noise nuisances.

Therein lies the rub. Proving a nuisance is not straight forward and enforcing abatement is all but, if not actually impossible for a single event because you can't prove it. ASBO's are no good for the same reason.

The police generally fall back on breach of the peace, which generally means creating one by attending, but if they can't even find the source there is no breach of the peace to enforce.

So, Cyclone, what law? ;)

Can't believe that saddos are still having raves. I mean its all a bit 1995 isn't it?

And it wasn't cool back then.

Racket, nope no racket just good tunes. The organisers must be doing a good job. They are not catering for people on here or people who are laid awake in their beds [as in why should they or I care]. They are ensuring the good people bouncing up and down in front of the sound system are having a good time. Every house held should have ear plugs for moments they don't wish to hear things outside their own bedrooms. Grenada woods have had many a good rave. If it's not your scene then that's fine but shouldn't wish or moan that others do like it. Once again I say ear plugs are a great invention.

Are you being serious ?

If so you want to take a long long look at yourself.

One of the major problems with modern society is it`s all me me me , never think about other people.

It`s called basic selfishness.