Design and manufacture a product

Just wondered if anyone could give any info on designing and manufacturing a product last week I did a job for some1 and some of the work I had to do took me a long time it was slow and tedious took best part of 3 hours which set me thinking surely there's something out there that could save so much time and not to mention the joint aches afterwards so I set out looking online and to my suppose there was nothing available so with abit of thinking and a few scetches I've designed something that will potentially cut the time down to around 15 mins and and next to no hassle and aches I think this product would be a good goer in the rite hands and potential to add other products to go with it at a later date so if there's anyone who could shed some professional light on how to go about getting prototype and marketing this idea I'd love to hear from you many thanks in advance steve-300683

Intellectual Property Office - GOV.UK

Adwww.innovate-design.co.uk/PatentOffice‎ 020 7354 5640

If you are short of funds to pay for the process or the patent fee you could try crowd funding on the internet. Good Luck.

Steve,

There are lots of things for you to think about which would take me an age to write here. If you are based in Sheffield, click on the 'sticky' at the top of the business section and give Business Sheffield a call. They will be able to articulate everything for you.

The very best of luck. My only advice you is make sure there are enough people who would be in the same circumstance as you to make the development of your product idea worth while doing.

Hi steve thanks for advice I'll defiantly look at that and there is lots of people across the entire building trade that would benefit from this product I can't believe there isn't anything already on the market

Hi steve thanks for advice I'll defiantly look at that and there is lots of people across the entire building trade that would benefit from this product I can't believe there isn't anything already on the market

We thought the same for http://frippdesign.co.uk/problems-solved/site-tools/. But we failed to get it to market for many reasons.

I hope your idea does not suffer a similar fate :)

As long as I can get the product manufactured at a reasonable price I know it would sell I work with 20 people on a daily basis and we all do the same job and most of the building trade have the same problem I've quietly spoke to a few people about the idea and they have said the same as me about it my biggest selling point is going to be the man hours that would be freed up due to this product if I can turn a tedious 3 hour job into a not so bad 15 min job which it will this product should be a hit I would have thort with most construction company's

I've quietly spoke to a few people about the idea and they have said the same as me about it

This might create a problem for you. If your idea is unique, I presume you would like to protect the idea via a patent?

If this is the case, then you will find it difficult because of your 'quiet word'. In affect you have disclosed your idea in the public domain which means it is now 'prior art'. This means anyone will be able to copy you.

What I suggest you do is go back to those who you have spoken to and ask them to sign a 'non disclosure agreement' (and back date it to when you had the quiet word with them); that way you are demonstrating that your idea is not in the public domain.

I had already thort of that before I spoke to these people it was 4 family members in the building trade I spoke to I need to get a patent but have little or no idea on how to go about it or what cost is involved in getting this idea patented

I had already thort of that before I spoke to these people it was 4 family members in the building trade I spoke to I need to get a patent but have little or no idea on how to go about it or what cost is involved in getting this idea patented

The process is quite involved and as I am not a patent attorney, it probably would not be a good idea for me to comment. Look out for L00B on the forum. Stefan is a patent attorney so his advice and comments will be more valid than mine.

BTW...family and friends are the worse people to ask about ideas...they will tend to tell you what they think you want to hear :hihi:

Edited by steveroberts
typos

Hi Have sent you a PM i have extensive experience of product development inception to final market.

---------- Post added 01-09-2015 at 10:57 ----------

sorry need to 5 posts for a PM