Please help a beginner!

So I plan to get the D5300 and the Tamron lens (will it be compatible? I'm terrified of buying one and it won't fit).

I need a circular polariser filter only?

Anything else I should have? I already have a tripod, although don't fancy lugging it all the way to the US.

Is there one preferred website most of you guys use which give the best prices?

In theory an 18-270mm lens will do everything. However, photographers have interchangeable lenses because a lens designed for a particular purpose has less compromise. The Tamron only goes down to f6.3 at telephoto, which means that a) you will struggle to take sharp grainless indoor photos without flash, b) in low outdoor light you will have the same problem with anything moving, c) you will not get shallow depth of field that creates a sharp subject against a blurred background. The telephoto end of the range would be of no use for anything I use a telephoto for (sport and wildlife). However, none of that matters for landscape, but then neither do you need anything over 50mm.

You mentioned close-ups of flowers, and again something like f2.8 or f3.5 helps with shallow depth of field and high shutter speed as flowers move in the breeze, and a "macro" lens that lets you focus when close to the subject is best for that.

If your interest is landscape I would suggest buying the best wide angle lens you can afford rather than an ultra-zoom lens. Frankly, I have a full frame 24-70 mm lens but it still gives me unwanted distortion at 24mm, plus the filters cause vignetting in the corners at full wide angle, so I probably never achieve anything better than 30mm after cropping even with that, and I am considering a 17-35mm zoom or even a 20mm prime.

Having said that, if you have one lens and leave it on the camera you are less likely to get dust on your sensor.

As well as the polariser you should have a UV filter that stays on the lens all the time, primarily to protect the lens and the lens coating.

The other filter to consider is a graduated neutral density filter which can be useful if the sky is bright white against the landscape, to even out the exposure and avoid pure whites and blacks.

---------- Post added 23-08-2015 at 10:51 ----------

Re Web Sites, I use Wex photographic or Jessops for new kit. Be very careful buying expensive things on eBay.

Thanks for the in depth reply. I am a beginner. A lot of this has gone totally over my head. One day I want to learn and understand what all of this means.

In very simple terms, if you don't recommend the Tamron lens, what should I get?

My budget was around £300 but with the base camera and the Tamron lens this is now pricing up to be over £500.

I just want a camera which will take amazing landscape/scenery shots but will also be versatile enough to take other types of pictures.

edit - I don't mind having more than one lens, some of the cameras come with a lens anyway.

Edited by Classic Rock

OK, if it was me on a budget with a DX format Nikon Camera I would look at the Nikon 18-105mm AF-S DX Nikkor f3.5-5.6 G ED VR Lens. £195 new from wexphotographic.co.uk. That will give you a good zoom capability in the wide angle landscape range, plus the ability to zoom in a bit further when the need arises - e.g. people shots. I have bought third party lenses to save money before, but for different reasons I always finish up wishing I had bought the Nikkor and I would now be unlikely to buy anything other than Nikkor lenses.

Re tripod - if carrying a tripod is too much, take a bean bag and set your camera up on a wall etc. in low light. You can use the self-timer to avoid moving the camera when you press the shutter.

Glossary:

Vignetting - dark corners to your images.

Depth of field (f-stop): - The amount in focus. For landscape you generally want as much in focus as possible (f16 - f22, say). For portraits, flowers, animals, sport etc you normally want only the subject in focus and the background blurred so the subject stands out (f2.8, say).

ISO: - A high ISO needs less light to create an image but the higher the ISO the grainier the images is. How grainy a particular ISO is depends on how good the camera is but up to 800 is generally pretty good on a modern DSLR.

Shutter speed: - to freeze moving subjects you need a fast shutter speed (1/500, say). When you have a wider depth of field you need to slow the shutter speed and/or increase the ISO because less light enters the camera. That's why a tripod is useful for landscape - to keep the camera absolutely still on a low shutter speed.

Camera settings for landscape, portrait, sport, night etc. automatically select the 'best' combination of f-stop, shutter speed and ISO for that type of shot in the prevailing lighting conditions. Always select the correct mode for each shot to avoid disappointment.

Hope you get some stunning shots. Have a good trip.

I've just gone and bought myself a "starter kit" after losing my previous camera.

As you've decided on your camera and lens other things to consider are;

* UV filter for your lens, it'll take the scratches that would otherwise result in needing to replace your lens. Only £18 from Amazon vs £270 for a new lens, it's a no brainer

* Circular polariser for lovely contrasty landscape pictures

* Camera bag to put all your stuff in, I've just bought a Lowepro TravelSling 150 and for an entry level bag with a bit of room to expand as and when you need it, it's brilliant.

* Spare batteries; because there's nothing worse than running out of juice on a long day trip... I've got 2 Duracell equivalents for my camera and found them just as good as the Canon branded ones, at a third of the price.

* Tripod, if you just want something light and portable to put your camera on for occasional long exposures/group shots you want to be in etc, then have a look at a GorillaPod, to keep cost down you don't really need to bother with the head attachment for it.

I know it's probably a bit late but nobody has mentioned getting a book on how to use the thing. Buying a DSLR (without knowing how to use it) will get worse results than they'd get with a compact. I hope Classic Rock has took that Canon PowerShot too.

A good book for a newbie to DSLRs is Complete Guide to Digital Photography by Ian Farrell

Hello, just thought I would give you a little food for thought. I recently purchased a Canon EOS 1200D SLR. But, it came in a kit form, the camera, and two lenses cost me only £339.00. The camera is an entry level SLR from Canon and as you scroll through the different types of menu options, the camera actually gives information as to what the setting does. The camera itself is so easy to use and also has a video option. The lenses are one standard kit lens 18-55mm and the other is a zoom lens of 75mm-300mm both manufactured by Canon. This could be something that is available in your price range and will help you learn the SLR jargon at the same time. Just thought it might help. I bought my Camera from Currys/PC world and I also got a FREE Rugby ball with the purchase. After seeing the camera, I then went on to buy a Micro SD card that cost £12.99 for 32GB.

I would advise you to visit somewhere like Harrison Cameras on London Road and talk to them about suitable equipment for you.

Handle and try out cameras and lens to see which you feel most comfortable with.