"Bus fare beggars" : What do you do ?

Is it a bit like the Big Issue sellers who are pretty genuine though? How many of us avoid eye contact with them just so not to buy the magazine? How many of us walk across the street to avoid the plethora of Charity Chuggers? How many of us just want to walk through the streets without being accosted every few seconds? BUT - where does humanity kick in. There was a parable around this, I seem to remember from school.........

Just remember folks, the more we support these people by giving them donations, the worse our city centre will become.

I work there and what I see every day on the way to work ain't pretty, and this is at half eight in the morning. As I've said before, at the moment they appear to be winning. All that money spent on the Cathedral so a bunch of tramps can scrap outside...

Seems pointless to invest anything else in town until we ship some of the scum out.

Yes indeed Harry. The kind humanitarian from Samaria........

Without fail the two regular scroungers were leaving the train station this afternoon obviously earnt enough money so they could spend money on booze and drugs or whatever else they chose too spend it on.

Does anyone remember reading about the Nottingham student who was attacked because the bus driver made her get off, she was short of the fare by 20p......

But I still agree with Woodmally, try to pay the fare direct so as to avoid the "bus fare beggars" who are just trying to con people. I really dislike them, they`re taking advantage of peoples` good nature and making them less likely to help somebody in real need, it`s appalling really.

I regularly get asked and walk past beggers on my daily walk to and from work along division street and Devonshire green.

Used to feel sorry for them but theres that many of the <REMOVED> now that I cant even be arsed to be nice to them anymore when they ask.

Edited by nikki-red

I was out in town last weekend, and there was a bloke stood near the Forum asking people for 'some change' so he could get a B&B for the night, because he had really wanted to go for a night out in Sheffield but couldn't afford somewhere to stay :hihi: I had 4p in change, I hope it helped.

But what if they really have lost their wallet ? I have done this before now, infamously I only discovered I`d mislaid it when I was on the train home and the guard asked to see my ticket........
Yep that happened to me, and the tram consuctor gave me some reyt stick for trying to con her! She was actually really rude, then kicked me off at the next stop... which I suppose was fair enough as I didn't have a ticket, but no need to be so obnoxious!

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 13:18 ----------

To be fair to these beggars, there's people where I work who get paid upwards of 20k a year for doing absolutely nothing. And they get to sit in a warm building all day drinking tea and reading the Daily Mail website. In fact I'm no angel myself!

None of us are perfect, we all have our faults and selfish attributes.

Yep that happened to me, and the tram consuctor gave me some reyt stick for trying to con her! She was actually really rude, then kicked me off at the next stop... which I suppose was fair enough as I didn't have a ticket, but no need to be so obnoxious!

---------- Post added 26-08-2015 at 13:18 ----------

To be fair to these beggars, there's people where I work who get paid upwards of 20k a year for doing absolutely nothing. And they get to sit in a warm building all day drinking tea and reading the Daily Mail website. In fact I'm no angel myself!

None of us are perfect, we all have our faults and selfish attributes.

I admire your honesty, and I'm sure it happens a great deal. (It certainly does at our place of work)!

I tend to give em a small amount like 20p, it helps towards what they need. If theyre conning me, I won't get worked up about 20p.

Although saying that, theres been some kids (about 12-14) who are always in town and always going up to people "you got any spare change so i can get home?"... I was parked at my place of work and 1 of them came up to my window asking for 50p, and then his friends tried opening the passenger door where my girlfriend was. So i politely fobbed them off.

I tend to give em a small amount like 20p, it helps towards what they need. If theyre conning me, I won't get worked up about 20p.

Although saying that, theres been some kids (about 12-14) who are always in town and always going up to people "you got any spare change so i can get home?"... I was parked at my place of work and 1 of them came up to my window asking for 50p, and then his friends tried opening the passenger door where my girlfriend was. So i politely fobbed them off.

But isnt that same as feeding the pigeons. All that will happen is the scroungers will carry on. Yes 20p is small fry to you but I'm sure you could have better use for it than some low life using it for drugs and booze (a charity would have better use for it). Also it will just encourage them to come back and seek money off unsuspecting people.

Therefore the ideal solution would be to either not give at all or offer to buy them a ticket. If everyone did this then we would stop the unsuspecting ones and the genuine ones would get home safely.

I always say I've got no change, which usually I haven't.