Sheffield named cheapest bank holiday destination apparently

If Sheffield is so rubbish - why the hell do we have so many hotels??

Surely they'd all be closing down due to lack of business??

After reading through this thread, I'm just thankful that the contributors of Sheffield Forum are not responsible for promoting the city; with the exception of a few. In my opinion the thing that Sheffielders do best is criticise their city. I have friends from other parts of the country who speak about their towns and cities with pride.

The sad thing is that the visitors and students that I have spoken to always view Sheffield in a very positive light. I recently visited Northampton and was talking to a lady who visits Sheffield frequently. She told me that she spends a day in Meadowhall and loves the Winter Gardens. Perhaps if the residents were proud of their city, more people would want to visit, which would increase revenue to the city.

Did anyone mention Tramlines?

I suppose some people like bland, enclosed shopping centres. But if they do, why leave the one closest to home. Meadowhall, Trafford Centre, Bluewater, they're all carbon clones. I can't think of many things I'd rather do less on a holiday than go to a shopping centre that could be literally anywhere in the country.

Which isn't to say that Sheffield doesn't have things to do, I just wouldn't choose any city of this size and type to visit for a holiday.

Chap I know through football visits Sheffield several times a year for a weekend break. Loves his ale mind.

I personally don't like Meadowhall, but a lot of people do. I have visited cities similar to Sheffield for a mini break, although usually to do or see something specific such as a concert or nearby attraction, then added an extra night or two to explore the city. I suppose as well, it depends on what you call 'reasonable travelling distance' as if you have a car then you could also visit the wildlife park, sculpture park and mining museum.

It must be great to walk round a permanent building site because that's what the town centre is, since the Moor was bombed in 1940 the rebuilding has never ceased for 75 years and I can't see no end to it in the next 75 years!

And London isn't a permanant building site? Or Manchester? God forbid you ever visit Berlin! Yet they all seem to attract their fair share of tourists.

And London isn't a permanant building site? Or Manchester? God forbid you ever visit Berlin! Yet they all seem to attract their fair share of tourists.

This is true. I visited Manchester for a weekend break a few weeks ago and the centre is full of roadworks. It was still very busy though.

3 day itinery

day 1 full day excursion taking in the manor and burngreave

day 2 full day excursion page hall taking in the sites

day 3 spent in hallamshire hospital suffering from injuries sustained in mugging

Peak district, but thats derbyshire.

Most suggestions for things to do while in Sheffield involve leaving Sheffield.

I'm not sure what the "four premium rated tourism draws" are.

Sheffield hasn't got one, never mind four.

Not sure either, but on TripAdvisor the top rated Things To Do in Sheffield are:

1. The Botanical Gardens
  2. Tropical Butterfly House, Wildlife and Falconry Centre
  3. Escape Games (3)
  4. Crucible Theatre

Botanical Gardens is neither "premium" nor a tourist draw.

The Tropical Butterfly House is worrth a visit if you don't mind a long trip out of the city (HINT) and again, is not a tourist draw. Not into Sheffield at least since it's miles away from Sheffield.

Never heard of Escape Games. Nuff said.

The Crucible only functions as a tourist draw during the snooker.

the butterfly house is further away from the city than bakewell.

It's a fair way out. Worth the trip but if it's counted as being Sheffield, that would make Sheffield bigger than Mexico City.

If you want my idea of a premium tourist draw, try the Royal Armouries. If the Butterfly House is counted as Sheffield, surely we can stretch the 40 miles to Leeds?

Why would anyone want to come and visit this ***** hole it as nothing other towns and cities don't have same shops it's just a clone of other cities may as well stay at home. Seaside towns are all run down dumps from the 50s even the donkeys look knackered, no shows to call wot only second hand club turns stay at home and redeecorate

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't think of the vast majority of British cities as tourist destinations.

I wouldn't go to Birmingham or to Glasgow, I wouldn't go to Manchester, Doncaster, Bristol or Wolverhamptom.

There are a very limited list of cities that I'd think were worth visiting.

That's unfair. I go to Doncaster every year for my holiday, never had bad weather, love it infact :hihi:

The Moor is such a short area and it's still not finished, Is Regent St finished, is Trafalgar Square finished? As for Manchester they don't seem to build buildings for just a few years then demolish them and start again.

Much as I love Sheffield, I don't think I could recommend it to outsiders as a place to visit.

---------- Post added 21-08-2015 at 23:00 ----------

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't think of the vast majority of British cities as tourist destinations.

I wouldn't go to Birmingham or to Glasgow, I wouldn't go to Manchester, Doncaster, Bristol or Wolverhamptom.

There are a very limited list of cities that I'd think were worth visiting.

Since when was Doncaster a city? :huh: