I have an invention what next..

hi

i have an idea for a sports training aid for a very popular sport and have been trawling the internet to find anything like it and there is nothing out there. I done some searches on patent search sites and found nothing

I have made a home made drawing (scribble more like :hihi: ) to give me an idea of size, how it would look on the outside and the basic inner mechanics.

To give a brief outline, its not an idea with with totally new parts and by that i mean that the parts that would create this are out there already, its just that they are not combined into one at the moment, so i would be creating a new product from these 2/3 objects. But they would be enclosed in a design that would be unique.

I am currently making a crude prototype by taking apart the objects and reassembling to make my idea to see if i can get it to work together.

Whats my next step once i have my crude prototype?

1. do i go for patent etc which i have seen can take 4 yrs or so, this would probably help with the finance of making a fully operational product as i dont have the funds to go out and get it done asap.

2. do i go on a kickstarter site and get help from investors? but i feel this would expose my product to others who could quickly make it.

3. do i start getting professional drawings, 3d design, 3d printing, and get a working model made that i could possibly show to manufacturers, sports companies and investors etc?

i can see that i want to keep it to myself but i am going to have to tell someone at some point...

just trying to protect my idea..

any thoughts?

Having got a patent in place doesnt stop a company in china copying and flooding the market with a cheaper copy

You need very deep pockets to stop this happening

If it is a genuine new idea pitch it to a sports company on a royalty basis

or if its a simple product to make and you are sure of success make it and sell it direct or via distributors ..try and make your money before competitors copy it

There used to be an inventors club in the Business Library (Central Library) on Surrey Street. I suggest you get in touch with them. I think they deal with this sort of thing, and will be able to help you with your next move, or put you in touch with someone who can.

There's also the Sheffield Universities that might be able to help, and various websites like 'Kickstarter' to help with funding. Or even Dragon's Den?

Anyway, good luck.

hi

i have an idea for a sports training aid for a very popular sport and have been trawling the internet to find anything like it and there is nothing out there. I done some searches on patent search sites and found nothing

I have made a home made drawing (scribble more like :hihi: ) to give me an idea of size, how it would look on the outside and the basic inner mechanics.

To give a brief outline, its not an idea with with totally new parts and by that i mean that the parts that would create this are out there already, its just that they are not combined into one at the moment, so i would be creating a new product from these 2/3 objects. But they would be enclosed in a design that would be unique.

I am currently making a crude prototype by taking apart the objects and reassembling to make my idea to see if i can get it to work together.

Whats my next step once i have my crude prototype?

1. do i go for patent etc which i have seen can take 4 yrs or so, this would probably help with the finance of making a fully operational product as i dont have the funds to go out and get it done asap.

2. do i go on a kickstarter site and get help from investors? but i feel this would expose my product to others who could quickly make it.

3. do i start getting professional drawings, 3d design, 3d printing, and get a working model made that i could possibly show to manufacturers, sports companies and investors etc?

i can see that i want to keep it to myself but i am going to have to tell someone at some point...

just trying to protect my idea..

any thoughts?

A few things to consider here. If your idea demonstrates an 'inventive step' over and above what is already out there, it would likely be granted a patent. Although the process might take up to 4 years, there are things you can do to make sure you cannot be ripped off in the interim:

1. If you file for a patent application, you are basically putting a marker in time which states this is the point from when your idea was formally stated. When making your application you do not have to publish your idea for a year. After that year you have two choices. You either start the formal patent process for the countries you wish to register (which starts to get expensive) or you can abandon your UK patent in favour of a European PCT. This has the same affect as filing in the UK, but it buys you another 18 months of 'secrecy' (because you do not have to publish your claim). Thereafter you then have to start the process of making patent applications in the countries you wish to protect

2. Before filing for a patent, I would pay a patent attorney to do some searching for you. It could save you a lot more cost in the future if someone has the idea already

3. Kickstarter users are not investors. They are people who are prepared to 'pre buy' a product in return for extra 'goodies'. If you are looking for investors, you need to be looking at crowdfunding platforms such as crowdcube and seedrs

4. Whatever you do, do not start the filing process until you have spoken to a design company. Although this sounds like a 'vested interest' statement, our experience is that when a client comes to us with a patent application, it often restricts what might be designed. Of course, the 'flip side' of this (as I want to keep this balanced for you!) is a design company will design anything, but a design company can never know if what they are designing might infringe somebody else's IP (the term is 'freedom to operate'. In essence a design company assumes you give them the freedom to operate to design something for you. But the legal implications of that design are with you because design companies are not patent attorneys; they are design companies. However what you tend to find is that design companies work very closely with firms of patent attorneys to avoid such issues where possible).

5. Some basic business things to think about two:

i Does your idea solve a quantifiable problem (i.e. is it essential to have to help with a users training)?

ii Are there enough people with the need to solve the problem?

iii Are there established routes to market where people can buy your product that solves their problem?

If you can answer the above to the positive and your idea is unique...the very best of luck to you.

See the sticky thread at the top. We can give you heaps of advice on the best way to proceed, including a patent advice drop-in service, a free meeting with a commercial lawyer if appropriate, advice about how to bring a new product to market, possible free help with international market research if appropriate, advice on marketing etc as well as a realistic idea of how much funding you would need to succeed, as well as help and ideas on how to access it. We'll also ask the tough questions to check the commercial viability.

We've helped many companies bring new products to fruition, turning ideas into reality, and it's all FREE

Good luck

Edited by NewBiz
Forgot to mention the business would have to based in Sheffield, or the founder must live in Sheffield