Finding out who owns a property

Hello, wonder if anyone can help me.

I am trying to find out who owns a property that has been rented for a number of years (since it was purchased in 2007).

I have downloaded the Title Register for the property but whilst it gives me a name, the address of the owner is the address of the rented property. He most definitely does not live there and never has.

Asking the tenants is not an option because its the anti-social behaviour of the tenants that i wish to raise with the property owner.

Is there any other way i can find an address for the owner or have i hit an insurmountable wall?

Thanks in advance.

Look see if they have any directorships listed at companies house, also you could ask here someone my know them.

You could try putting the name into 192.com and see if it comes up with any likely candidates.

The antisocial behaviour of the tenants has absolutely nothing to do with owner. if they are breaking a law then report them to the police.

Yep get onto the police or the council.

Hi if the title indicated that the property is mortgaged then you could try contacting the lender. With the address of the owner being shown as the property in question this could indicate that the property is mortgaged on a standard residential mortgage and not on correct buy to let terms. Might be worth a try.

Thanks all. Sorted now.

Googled his name, narrowed it down through process of elimination, found out owner is a director of a property firm, got his business and home address.

Still don't quite understand why the address of the owner on Title Register isn't his personal or business address, but that's another matter.

---------- Post added 19-08-2015 at 09:18 ----------

For those saying its nothing to do with the owner -i beg to disagree.

If i rented a property out i would do everything in my power to make sure my tenants didn't cause any problems for the neighbourhood.

Quite frankly it's attitudes like that that have resulted in anti-social people running amok because they know absent or careless landlords will not hold them accountable.

Have tried the police and council route.

Have been told in no uncertain terms by 101 operators that police do not have capacity to deal with anti-social behaviour as its very hard to prove/prosecute.

Council is who have suggested the owner route because its not a council property therefore not much they can do. If it was a council property then the situation would be very different.

---------- Post added 19-08-2015 at 09:20 ----------

Hi if the title indicated that the property is mortgaged then you could try contacting the lender. With the address of the owner being shown as the property in question this could indicate that the property is mortgaged on a standard residential mortgage and not on correct buy to let terms. Might be worth a try.

Hi,

no indication of a mortgage on the Title Register I'm afraid. Probably a cash buy.

The antisocial behaviour of the tenants has absolutely nothing to do with owner. if they are breaking a law then report them to the police.

The landlord can take action though, it's normally the first step that is recommended, contacting the landlord.

If the Tenant is behaving anti-socially: Landlords need evidence of anti-social behaviour in order to take action (unless they are using the section 21 eviction procedure). The nuisance has to be substantial and persistent, not just a one-off incident.

You should speak to the people complaining and gather evidence of names and addresses of people affected as well as dates/times/detail of incidents. Further supporting evidence may be sought from other neighbours and agencies such as the local authority’s environmental health services or the police who may also have received complaints.

Once the evidence has been gathered the landlord can take the appropriate action. This may initially just be talking to the tenant about the matter. If this doesn’t resolve the problem then the matter can be put to the tenant in writing. You can inform the tenant that as the landlord you have the legal right to obtain possession of the property if they can prove to a court that the tenant’s behaviour has created a nuisance to neighbours and that you intend to apply to the court if the matter is not resolved.

And if they if are a half decent landlord they'd appreciate being told they have bad tenants. If the tenants are causing grief for neighbours chances are they aren't looking after the house either. I know I'd appreciate being told if my tenants were causing their neighbours any problems...but then I actually go around and speak to my tenants regularly and check the house seemingly unlike most landlords...

Still don't quite understand why the address of the owner on Title Register isn't his personal or business address, but that's another matter.

He's creating a wholly-unnecessary problem for himself.

Someone who uses an incorrect or out-of-date address in the HMLR entry has nobody else to blame if/when:

a. HMLR serves an important Notice on his registered address; or

b. the subtenant- or anyone else- successfully manages to defraud him;

-but, in each case, he fails to learn of it (because he's somewhere else!)

Jeffrey has covered this for you re the risks an owner runs if they don't keep their contact details up to date.

The register includes the registered owner's address for service, as we refer to it, simply as a means for us to contact them should we need to as part of the registration process. There is no legal requirement that they have to give us an address at which they are living or working for example but simply an address where they can receive any such contact.

Those details can also include a care of address, an overseas address and an email address as they wish. There is a limit of 3 contact addresses.

In the vast majority of cases those details are provided by the owner's conveyancer at the time of registration.

Our online guidance explains this in more detail and also links you to guidance on the risks Jeffrey has already referred to