Egotistical Google Experts

It's better to just give your personal experience of a topic and then leave the discussion.

Can you imagine being down the pub with some of this lot. You wouldn't be able to have a debate without being asked for a link to provide evidence. Basically, you're a liar.:hihi:

If you start talking rubbish down the pub, I'd hope that you accept it when someone corrects you.

If you start talking rubbish down the pub, I'd hope that you accept it when someone corrects you.

Egotistical shandy drinkers... coming into my pub and being informative... ;)

Honestly though... complaining about people who are at least knowledgeable enough about a subject to know where to find corroborating information for their own arguments or comprehensive answers to questions. :loopy:

Totally! Knowledge is king.

Same goes for on here. I've learnt a lot over the last couple of years.

If someone is expressing an opinion based on their own personal experience, how can it be corrected? Saying its rubbish or not true won't change the fact that they experienced it so know it to be true.

Ban people from using google for a month on here and half the tedious experts on everything would actually be revealed as knowing nothing. There are reasons this forum is dying and a shadow of its former self google warriors are just one of them

If someone is expressing an opinion based on their own personal experience, how can it be corrected? Saying its rubbish or not true won't change the fact that they experienced it so know it to be true.

Attempting to generalise from limited anecdotal personal experience is a very poor way to form an opinion, you're entitled to an opinion of course and everyone else is entitled to point and laugh.

Lots of things are expressed as opinion, but when investigated the opinion isn't based on any real facts or knowledge.

---------- Post added 16-08-2015 at 20:21 ----------

Ban people from using google for a month on here and half the tedious experts on everything would actually be revealed as knowing nothing. There are reasons this forum is dying and a shadow of its former self google warriors are just one of them

So ban people from proving that the point they've made is correct... So people who are ACTUALLY wrong can spout off, and nobody can prove it... Yeah, that'd be a real way to make discussions better. I say A, you say B. Neither of us is allowed to google any corroborating evidence, discussion ends.

---------- Post added 16-08-2015 at 20:22 ----------

Is that a real Stannis Baratheon quote for example... Can you prove it somehow without referring to evidence from somewhere?

Is that a real Stannis Baratheon quote for example... Can you prove it somehow without referring to evidence from somewhere?
Ask other people who've read the book to substantiate.

You really should read the books, they're very good and eminently quoteable

I've read all the books thanks, my point was about how you could prove it.

A photo of the page would be one way, but googling it would be another easy way.. So why ban a way of proving a point?

Attempting to generalise from limited anecdotal personal experience is a very poor way to form an opinion, you're entitled to an opinion of course and everyone else is entitled to point and laugh.

Lots of things are expressed as opinion, but when investigated the opinion isn't based on any real facts or knowledge.

Normal people form opinions based on their own experiences, pointing and laughing at someone for expressing an opinion isn't something normal people do. I have yet to witness someone point and laugh at someone else for expressing an opinion based on their own experience.

So you know the quote exists? Why the eff are you arguing about something you know exists?

This is what I mean, you are part of the problem. Nothing ever gets to the point. You spend so much time examining the trees and complaining about the leaves you never see the forest. You spend so much time tediously micromanaging threads into oblivion that people just get bored and give up. It doesn't mean you win, it just means you suck the fun out of it and people primarily come here for amusement not for a turing test now you're going to correct me on the incorrect usage of turing test even though I deliberately used it and I put this text in white, I wonder if you'll change this text so people can see it so they'll wonder where it came from from!