Sheffield cutlery, still worth buying and where to buy?

The best place to find genuine Sheffield cutlery might well be a local antique shop.

Went and bought some last week from the antiques quarter. Better prices and lots of cased Made in Sheffield silver & stainless cutlery about. Quality seems better than the more recent stuff. Saw some nice sets in Sheffield Antiques Centre, Langtons and Antiques Emporium and prices were similar in all.

Went and bought some last week from the antiques quarter. Better prices and lots of cased Made in Sheffield silver & stainless cutlery about. Quality seems better than the more recent stuff. Saw some nice sets in Sheffield Antiques Centre, Langtons and Antiques Emporium and prices were similar in all.

spot on, a sensible buyer.

I ended up buying Robert Welch cutlery, which doesn't pretend to manufacture in the UK, but the designs are original Robert Welch (RIP) and made to a very high quality.

There are kitchen knifes made in Sheffield which are worth buying and not expensive -

Taylors Eye Witness. I have one of their general purpose knives 9" - 10" long that's a good all rounder. They also make brightly coloured knifes, that have shelf appeal in the shop, but they soon look tatty as the paint wears off.

A. Wright & Son also make excellent knives, with forged steel blades and rosewood handles. That's real old-school quality and they're not expensive. The Famous Sheffield Shop is their outlet and they're often made to order.

I was under the impression the cheapy coloured Taylor's eye witness stuff was made in China. They do some higher end made in Sheffield stuff though.

There's a place on the industrial site on the right hand side as you go up to the old Ski Village on Neepsend.

Inkerman Silver, Douglas Road.

Carries the "Made in Sheffield" logo

Inkerman Silver, Douglas Road.

Carries the "Made in Sheffield" logo

Thank you, that's the name I couldn't think of. It's well worth a visit to see what's on offer.

You can pick up a set of old Sheffield cutlery for next to nothing, the reason being most people want cutlery that will survive a dishwasher now. Silver plate won't survive and neither will anything with bone, ivory or plastic handles.

I sold my parents old 12 place cased set of Sheffield silver plate cutlery last month at Sheffield Auction Gallery. I got £31 for it (the hammer price was £45).

Which pocket knife is best to buy if wanted to guarantee it was Sheffield made.

Which pocket knife is best to buy if wanted to guarantee it was Sheffield made.

Taylor's eye witness now Trevor ablett has retired I would have thought and even then I don't know where the steel comes from. Ring them and I'm sure they'd tell you though.

http://www.premiercutlery.co.uk/ind_cat/pocket_knives/premier_pocketknives

They do cheaper ones as well. They arguably not the best pocket knives you can buy though. The rest of the world has sped past.

Taylor's eye witness now Trevor ablett has retired I would have thought and even then I don't know where the steel comes from. Ring them and I'm sure they'd tell you though.

http://www.premiercutlery.co.uk/ind_cat/pocket_knives/premier_pocketknives

They do cheaper ones as well. They arguably not the best pocket knives you can buy though. The rest of the world has sped past.

How are Premier Cutlery related to Taylors Eye Witness? The products are the same and so are the premises, except I think Taylors moved to a modern factory recently.

I was under the impression the cheapy coloured Taylor's eye witness stuff was made in China. They do some higher end made in Sheffield stuff though.

The coloured knives are imported from China, and are very popular.

Not my cup of tea to be fair.

The ceramic knives are proving quite popular too.

Sales of our manufactured knives are up, so I'm hoping for a nice little surge in the next few years.

We are moving in the next few months and are investing over a million pounds on new machinery for our manufactured products.

We also have a few new patterns in development which is quite exciting.

---------- Post added 19-08-2015 at 21:06 ----------

How are Premier Cutlery related to Taylors Eye Witness? The products are the same and so are the premises, except I think Taylors moved to a modern factory recently.

Premier Cutlery is our online site.

Not moved just yet. Part of the company are moving in the next month (Sept/Oct).

The manufacturing side are moving sometime next year.

I recently discovered Stan Riley (a Little Mester) at the 'Sharpen Up' cutlery and craft fair at Portland Works, he produces EPNS and Silver Plated cutlery and flat ware.

I've been searching for a long time for 'my perfect knives, forks and spoons' and I've now found that one of his designs ticks all boxes!!

Hoping to meet up with him very soon to place an order.

Carrs of Sheffield (mfg) Ltd.

Troy House, Holbrook Avenue

Sheffield S20 3FH, England

+44(0)114 251 0610

sip: 30123594*211@sip.voipfone.net

info@carrs-silver.co.uk