Sheffield cutlery, still worth buying and where to buy?

I recently discovered Stan Riley (a Little Mester) at the 'Sharpen Up' cutlery and craft fair at Portland Works, he produces EPNS and Silver Plated cutlery and flat ware.

I've been searching for a long time for 'my perfect knives, forks and spoons' and I've now found that one of his designs ticks all boxes!!

Hoping to meet up with him very soon to place an order.

Stans a mate of mine, he knows what he's doing and knows what he's talking about.

I wonder why Blue John from Castleton has never been used for handles on pocket knives ?

I would have thought it would make an attractive handle and good selling point.

I wonder why Blue John from Castleton has never been used for handles on pocket knives ?

Agreed, it would look fantastic.

Attractive yes, but not hard wearing. It's brittle and it's strengthened by soaking in resin before being worked.

Blue John is far too soft for jewellery too and scratches very easily. It's best suited for turning into ornamental vases, etc.

It's to fragile.

This thread struck a chord with me.

I posted on here months back asking if anyone had any genuine sheffield pocket knives they wanted to sell. I've lived in Sheffield all my life yet me, nor any of my immediate family owned a real Sheffield made pocket knife. My post was removed.

So I purchased via ebay.com and got a fantastic peice from seller in California. Luckily I had contacts in the US who bid on my behalf as ebay.uk blocks all transactions.

It's ironic that what made sheffield world famous was so hard to find. I now have a magnificent heirloom to give to my son when he's older.

As for the modern sheffield made stuff...take it from me it's garbage....absolute junk. I visited the sheffield shop years ago to buy a genuine Sheffield pocket knife and they were all poor except for Stan Shaw his work was flawless but the waiting list was long and the prices high. (although I do now actually own a couple of Stan Shaw models too)

Have you had a look at the Morton Cutlers site ?

Good quality knives at a decent price.

Have you had a look at the Morton Cutlers site ?

Good quality knives at a decent price.

I have, and emailed them a couple of times asking who they are made by.

I await a reply, though to be fair, they could be on holiday at this time of year.

I'm guessing they are Arthur Wright, but not sure.

Pinder Bros cutlery is made on site in Matilda St.

They look like whittle tang with the bolster fitted separately, a fiver is enough for them but they are not good.