Sheffield cutlery, still worth buying and where to buy?

I am leaving Sheffield after staying for a few years. I'm thinking of buying some gifts for my family. Is Sheffield made cutlery still existing? Worth buying? And where to buy?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I thought they did still make some for general sale in high street shops, but I could be wrong!

Regardless of that though, for the 'gift' touch, try this one, online and down Ecclesall Road:

http://www.sheffield-made.com/home.html

I thought there was one on Surrey Street that was similar, but I can't find a website for them...

Sheffield Scene on Surrey Street sells Sheffield made cutlery, the Sheffield Shop on Ecclesall Road does sell Sheffield made goods but it also sells David Mellor cutlery that's been imported from China and Japan, these items are quite good BUT you will not be told their country of manufacture, it's implied they are made in Sheffield ( Hathersage to be precise) to fool you. I know because I worked there before I escaped.

There's a place on the industrial site on the right hand side as you go up to the old Ski Village on Neepsend.

I can't remember the name of the company but if you loose any of your set of Viners cutlery you can always get spares there and much cheaper than the shops in the town centre.

Sheffield Scene on Surrey Street sells Sheffield made cutlery, the Sheffield Shop on Ecclesall Road does sell Sheffield made goods but it also sells David Mellor cutlery that's been imported from China and Japan, these items are quite good BUT you will not be told their country of manufacture, it's implied they are made in Sheffield ( Hathersage to be precise) to fool you. I know because I worked there before I escaped.

David Mellor cutlery is still made at his factory in Hathersage isn't it. What do they make in the factory if they don't make cutlery? I looked into buying some recently but it was too expensive for me.

The Famous Sheffield Shop on Ecclesall Road is very good and will advise on what is made here, but you'll always pay a lot for proper Sheffield made stuff.

Viners hasn't made cutlery for well over thirty years, only the name exists, all the Viners cutlery is now imported from either Korea or Japan. It's not very good.

Well unless its an illusion, I was at Mellor's today having a walk around the factory and looking at all the blanks that had been pressed out and cutlery at various stages of being finished and was convinced it was made there, if not they've gone to a lot of trouble building a round building and filling it with machines etc (I was told that some of the plastic handles came from over seas though)

Can provide a link or evidence to prove otherwise?

Oh and there's plenty of old Sheffield cutlery to be had at car boots etc

Viners cutlery is made using 'blanks' which have been imported from the far east, and has been for many years. they were the first company to do this and their actions sounded the death knell for Sheffield Cutlery. There are some craftsmen still producing genuine Sheffield Cutlery, but their products are high end with prices to match, as you are paying for hand made high quality and not for mass produced goods.

Ernest Wright and Sons are still making scissors in Sheffield and the smaller ones are reasonably priced if you have a few gifts to buy. Hope you manage to find something suitable.

David Mellor cutlery is still made at his factory in Hathersage isn't it. What do they make in the factory if they don't make cutlery? I looked into buying some recently but it was too expensive for me.

The Famous Sheffield Shop on Ecclesall Road is very good and will advise on what is made here, but you'll always pay a lot for proper Sheffield made stuff.

They do make cutlery at Hathersage but its the plastic handled stuff, Pride knives with plastic handles, child sets etc. the blades they use come from Japan already ground glazed and polished, the silver plated pride cutlery, knives, forks & spoons, these come already polished ready for silver plating by a Sheffield firm. They do make Paris cutlery but all the head parts,( blades, forks & spoons) come from Japan, the handles are welded on and then processed to a finished state. all the other solid cutlery is from Japan, their black handled kitchen knives are all made in China, all that Mellor's do is put their name on the blade but the quality is very good. If you ever go there look at the work force there are not enough people to produce the amount of cutlery they sell, on entering the factory just look to your left near the presses and you will see lots of yellow/beige boxes, these are filled with the imported cutlery. All the cooking pots and pans in the factory shop are from Italy. I left because the man I worked with produced 120 pride s/s knives per week and I was producing 1,000, this is when the knives were made on site.

This thread's opening up a can of worms, isn't it?

Sheffield cutlery firms importing foreign products, 'cos Sheffielders are too stingy to pay Sheffield prices for made-in-Sheffield products. :|

This thread's opening up a can of worms, isn't it?

Sheffield cutlery firms importing foreign products, 'cos Sheffielders are too stingy to pay Sheffield prices for made-in-Sheffield products. :|

Its nothing to do with that, the manufacturers buy cheap and sell for a massive profit. A David Mellor black handled Steel is bought or was bought for around $8 and they are sold for around £60, and all they do is unpack them and repack them.

Well unless its an illusion, I was at Mellor's today having a walk around the factory and looking at all the blanks that had been pressed out and cutlery at various stages of being finished and was convinced it was made there, if not they've gone to a lot of trouble building a round building and filling it with machines etc (I was told that some of the plastic handles came from over seas though)

Can provide a link or evidence to prove otherwise?

Oh and there's plenty of old Sheffield cutlery to be had at car boots etc

It's round because it's a converted gasometer. Quite a clever conversion actually.