Offer of free update to windows 10

Faster slicker easier overall far better. My team was windows 7. Windows 8 was terrible in my opinion. We now run windows 10 and love it!

---------- Post added 09-08-2015 at 02:42 ----------

The silly right click/ or left click the start bar for different options etc, Is new but great! Windows 10 is the way to go.

---------- Post added 09-08-2015 at 02:59 ----------

The Joker I prefer the old Windows 7 style Start Menu back,

You can do that in windows 10!

I find 10 boots much quicker than 7 and that is on an SSD, so I wasn't expecting to be able to tell the difference. I also feel 10 is more responsive.

I'm no fan of the new Window style (practically no borders and nothing to distinguish between the title bar and main window) but those are relatively minor issues.

There is a simple workaround to solve that issue Coloured title bars in Windows 10

Tried to uninstall Windows 10 and revert to old system of 8.1. Followed all the instructions and all I get now is a flashing blue screen. Tried switching off and rebooting with f8, pressing esc regularly but no joy. I get the HP screen and the revolving circle of dots but then the flashing screen again.

Any ideas anyone please??

I tried it last night, from 7 to 10. My computer passed the check with no errors but first thing I found was my trackpad not working (I use a macbook air via bootcamp). Once I got through the mini-setup I had a hard time navigating the interface using the keyboard (normally tasks can be done by tabbing around in the absence of a mouse but that didn't seem to be the case). I also found alt-tab took along time to switch between my running programs (like 10 or so seconds). I downloaded the latest bootcamp software but it said it wasn't for my model of macbook, and even that latest version of bootcamp didn't list windows 10 as a compatible platform. Thankfully the rollback worked great, the upgrade and downgrade went without a hitch but I'll wait longer before trying it again.

Tried to uninstall Windows 10 and revert to old system of 8.1. Followed all the instructions and all I get now is a flashing blue screen. Tried switching off and rebooting with f8, pressing esc regularly but no joy. I get the HP screen and the revolving circle of dots but then the flashing screen again.

Any ideas anyone please??

You should have created a backup for yourself using the Windows backup options in 8.1 or using something like redobackup first - at the very least always backup your data before installing any new OS whether it is Windows or GNU/Linux - just in case. If you have nothing important on there, can you not do a factory restore? Press your Escape key during boot and choose an option that meets your needs. ;)

---------- Post added 09-08-2015 at 10:24 ----------

I think your friend just installed Classic Shell :D

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=11108773#post11108773

HI I had forgotten he told me that in a PM.

---------- Post added 09-08-2015 at 10:25 ----------

If you download the iso for Windows 10, don't forget to use this utility supplied by M$ to check that the iso is not corrupt:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=11533

@yorkie15:

I am presently running on windows 7 with no problems.

It's up to you but you seem to have answered your own query. You have no problems so unless there is something in Windows 10 that you have a burning desire to have then perhaps leave well alone, even more so if you are not tech savvy. However, if you can't resist the freebie then at least you have one month to revert back to Windows 7 so all you will lose is a few hours of your time.

You should have created a backup for yourself using the Windows backup options in 8.1 or using something like redobackup first - at the very least always backup your data before installing any new OS whether it is Windows or GNU/Linux - just in case. If you have nothing important on there, can you not do a factory restore? Press your Escape key during boot and choose an option that meets your needs. ;)

---------- Post added 09-08-2015 at 10:24 ----------

HI I had forgotten he told me that in a PM.

---------- Post added 09-08-2015 at 10:25 ----------

If you download the iso for Windows 10, don't forget to use this utility supplied by M$ to check that the iso is not corrupt:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=11533

Thanks for that, I back up to an external drive so that was an option. Managed to get back without doing that.

Took battery out and held power button for 30 seconds. Powered up again and f10 got me to a refresh which eventually got me back, minus a few things like Office, iTunes, Spotify and Seagate back up which have had to be reinstalled. Thanks a bunch Microsoft!

I am presently running on windows 7 with no problems. I have the choice of upgrading to windows 10 for free. I don't want to create myself with any problems by going to the new windows 10. What are the pros and cons with deciding which option is the best, 7 or 10?:confused:

Thank you all for your advice/feedback. I think I will leave best alone. (better the devil you know)!:)

The Joker I prefer the old Windows 7 style Start Menu back,

You can do that in windows 10!

Really? How?

I am using Classic Shell, but would prefer to use a native method if possible.

@yorky15 - sensible decision. We have another five years of Windows 7 so no hurry to upgrade.

Really? How?

I am using Classic Shell, but would prefer to use a native method if possible.

If you are not happy with Classic Start have a look at Start10 - There is a free 30 day trial, but if you decide to keep Start10 after the 30 day trial then there is a charge of $5

I have tried both (on Windows 8 and Windows 10) and both are excellent, but my choice would be Classic Start, not because it is free, but due the wealth of customisation options.