Offer of free update to windows 10

Someone anyone show me how windows 10 is NOT the best of 7 and 8. It is awesome! 7 was ok 8 was terrible with one or two ok points. Dig Deep , allow Yourself to Hit the depths of windows ten and it will blow you away! 100%.

---------- Post added 10-08-2015 at 23:11 ----------

Just for the record anyone hanging back who don't want to get windows ten now! No Ifs Or Buts! GET IT!

---------- Post added 10-08-2015 at 23:17 ----------

Remember you have three month to change your mind if you don’t like it! You can Undo all changes and go back to what you had before. . . >>You wont!!! You Will Love It!

---------- Post added 10-08-2015 at 23:43 ----------

I have windows 10. I would like to uninstall a program. Do I click start, control panel, add and remove programs? >> No click start right click the program you don’t want and select uninstall.! Finished.

No more messing around multiple windows. Can I unpin the start bar to be more like windows 7 = Yes you can. Simply unpin all the static and animated tiles and real-time updates windows 8 offered . Remember you have a left click and a right click on start bar.

I personally did take a day to custom windows 10, A mix of 7 and 8. BOOM awesome! Light weight, More speed More control. And lots , lots more to get into.

I recommend people Google what windows ten can do!

][/color]Remember you have three month to change your mind if you don’t like it!

True, but only 1 month to actually undo the upgrade. After that, you would have to do a clean install of your previous OS.

I genuinely believe though that unless you have a serious compatibility issue (no drivers for a vital piece of hardware) that even if your gut instinct is "ugh, I hate this OS", that its worth forcing yourself to get used to it. After all, you will be stuck with it eventually if you buy a new PC, so you are only putting off the inevitable.

Edited by AlexAtkin

For me, Win 10 boots faster than 7; it also shuts down much more quickly.

I had one problem with permissions for access to some directories; advice from this list solved it for me. All well now.

win7 or win10?

For a simple and flamey response, I'm saying that if you Email/Surf then go ahead and update - no harm done but...

if you're Business/Work like; building websites, serious pixel pushing [even with Adobe products!] with real video cards or any MySql database work then....whoooaaaaaa Billy!

</minirant>

i have to order a new graphics card mine is not supported under 10 they allways get you one way or another 35 quid for a card just hope i dont get any more surprises

i have to order a new graphics card mine is not supported under 10 they allways get you one way or another 35 quid for a card just hope i dont get any more surprises

How is it not supported under 10? most hardware in the last 10 years is supported out of the box, and newer hardware will have windows 10 drivers (if not yet, then soon)

What card is it you have got?

A legacy nVidia card perhaps?

The oldest card supported for Windows 10 according to nvidia.com is the Geforce 8 series.

Anything older isn't even supported in 8.1, although maybe the 8.0 drivers still work there?

That said, you can pick up things like a Geforce 8400 GS 512MB for £6 from CEX, and various low-end cards brand new from about £15. So not sure why you would need to spend £35.

I should think if a card is so old its not supported, a dirt-cheap would be at least as good?

I suppose it might be an AGP or (god forbid) PCI only motherboard? But then I would expect it to cost more than £35.

Edited by AlexAtkin

A legacy nVidia card perhaps?

The oldest card supported for Windows 10 according to nvidia.com is the Geforce 8 series.

Anything older isn't even supported in 8.1, although maybe the 8.0 drivers still work there?

That said, you can pick up things like a Geforce 8400 GS 512MB for £6 from CEX, and various low-end cards brand new from about £15. So not sure why you would need to spend £35.

I should think if a card is so old its not supported, a dirt-cheap would be at least as good?

I suppose it might be an AGP or (god forbid) PCI only motherboard? But then I would expect it to cost more than £35.

I would think if it's older than a Geforce 8 series, then the PC it's self shouldn't really be running 10

I would think if it's older than a Geforce 8 series, then the PC it's self shouldn't really be running 10

The 6 series was launched in 2004, there are plenty of CPUs from around that time which are still more powerful than the low-end tablets being sold with Windows 8 and 10 today. Windows 8 and 10 is meant to be lighter on resources than Vista or 7, so it makes perfect sense to upgrade.

So it seems there will almost certainly be cases where people are installing on a PC with an unsupported GPU. Unless they are stuck on AGP, a cheap £15 GPU of today is going to be at least as powerful as what they had. I don't think £15 is an unreasonable fee to upgrade to a new OS. Still not sure where the £35 figure came from....

There is also the fact if you have a machine that you installed a Windows 7 retail edition on you will want to upgrade that in the free period anyway, just so you can transfer that copy to another PC later if you want. Supposedly the upgrade works on a like-for-like basis, so if you upgrade a retail copy then you get a retail license for 10, thus transferable to another PC.

Edited by AlexAtkin

For anyone trying it, don't worry about committing. I had to roll back my Mum's computer to 8.1 the other day, as Windows 10 caused massive slowdown. The rollback took about 15 minutes and it was all back as usual.

Chance you may have to reinstall some programs, so make sure you have your product keys for Office etc, but all your files will be preserved.

Upgrading any OS is likely to cause slowdown for a while until its optimised everything.

It potentially has to re-index all the files on the HDD for search to function, that most certainly will slow things down for a while.

How long did you wait until rolling back? I find it extremely hard to accept Windows 10 was slower than 8.1 as I have experienced the complete opposite. My tablet had started getting painfully slow on 8.1 and the upgrade to 10 brought it back to life.

I've reinstalled Windows 7 on Beast (see t'other Windows 10 thread)

You could say the lockups caused by the Radeon 5000 series graphics card viewing videos on the Edge browser tipped me over the. . . edge.

I'm keeping Windows 10 on mini-monster for the time being, and it will remain on the dinky netbook which can only run 8.x or 10