Offer of free update to windows 10

@yorky15 - sensible decision. We have another five years of Windows 7 so no hurry to upgrade.

You are assuming there aren't improvements in 10 that are actually useful, such as how it appears to use RAM more efficiently and be faster overall.

One of the things in Windows 8 I found immensely useful and is not immediately obvious is how it behaves when you are trying to copy/move files and for some reason it fails, such as if they are open.

In Windows 7 it would just give up and that could be a pain if you were doing a lot of files and weren't sure where it failed.

In Windows 8+ you are given the option to retry. So you can find what is causing the file to fail and then click retry, without having to start the whole process again.

There are no doubt lots of other little things I am forgetting as I'm so used to 8 now.

That's not to say everyone should rush and install Windows 10 right now. I agree that giving it some times to stabilise might be beneficial.

But I fear people who are dismissing it right now will convince themselves its awful and not upgrade during the free offer at all, and that is bad.

People staying on old OS versions opens up many more security issues and makes it harder for Microsoft to keep on top of everything. You might think "not my problem" but ultimately it is. We would all have a much more stable OS if they didn't have to spread their support so thin. Plus you are making it harder for the people writing the software if they have to support many older versions and not necessarily take advantage of the improvements in new versions, for fear of breaking support in old ones.

Also, if you DO upgrade and don't at least give yourself a good few months before reverting back, you aren't giving it a chance.

I am not saying that Windows 10 is awful - in fact from what I have read, it seems perfectly satisfactory. All of those features that you refer to may be desirable to one person, but not another. Like the OP, I have no problems or issues with Windows 7 at all and it does all that I need. To me there is no reason to upgrade. I'm perfectly content with Windows 7. As the old saying goes 'if it isn't broken, don't fix it.'

"If it isn't broken, don't fix it" doesn't necessarily apply to software though.

Performance improvements should never be dismissed. Then there are potential security issues that the developer is not focusing on (as the newest version has primary focus).

In many cases you do not know how much you would benefit from new features until you start using them.

I didn't know I needed window snapping until Windows 8 and now I use it every day.

There are still people using Windows XP because they felt "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". But it IS broke, they just don't realise it.

Really? How?

I am using Classic Shell, but would prefer to use a native method if possible.

My mod friend whose Dad was a moderator before him created a Zorin Desktop on Windows 8 using PowerShell! :hihi:

I am still torn tbh.

Running it on my laptop fine but the damn driver updates is stupid. My trackpad breaks when install the latest driver. Roll it back and its fine until it updates again. I know you can delay it but it will do it eventually. ?.. very annoying!

Downloaded Windows 10 last night on my little hybrid running W8.1. Installed it this morning and so far it is working OK. Maybe a little quicker than before. Edge seems lighter and quicker than IE so I intend to stick with this as don't want to put too many programmes on (limited space). Miss the add ons though. I had reformatted before upgrading so need to set it up properly, then will be able to evaluate.

BTW has anyone tried Cortana?

Edited by Jomie

I had to install the latest driver from the manufacturers site to get my touchpad working.

Gave windows 10 for a try for a couple of days but went back to Windows 7 which seems a lot better

I had to install the latest driver from the manufacturers site to get my touchpad working.

I looked on the Fujitsu website and there were no touchpad drivers available for Windows 10

So, one last try of the day. I download the drivers for Windows 8.1 from the Fujitsu website and they worked fine. Strange or what?

My guess I was using Windows 8 drivers...

Gave windows 10 for a try for a couple of days but went back to Windows 7 which seems a lot better

A couple of days is not long enough to get a fair impression.

I doubt the OS will have even stabilised in that time as it possibly has to re-index the files, defrag the HDD, etc.

It took me a couple of months to be comfortable with Windows 8!

---------- Post added 10-08-2015 at 19:44 ----------

I looked on the Fujitsu website and there were no touchpad drivers available for Windows 10

So, one last try of the day. I download the drivers for Windows 8.1 from the Fujitsu website and they worked fine. Strange or what?

My guess I was using Windows 8 drivers...

To be fair, this has always been a problem when upgrading Windows on a laptop that the manufacturer no longer supports.

You have to figure out who makes the touchpad and find a newer device that has the same touchpad, to find the new touchpad driver. Unless of course it gets pulled into Windows Update.

Edited by AlexAtkin

I am a strong believer in if it is not broke do not fix it!

I am also very old and do not like change.

Hence, I was disappointed when Microsoft stopped supporting XP Pro, which I still run on one of my computers!

My others I have upgraded to MS 7 pro and will remain on seven until the dust has settled and you young uns have all the bugs out of 10 or MS stop supporting seven.

;)

Unfortunately as nothing is made "like it used to" there is rarely such a thing as "not broke" these days.

This is even worse when it comes to software, as there is always room for improvement and things are so complex its plain impossible to have a bug free piece of software, especially an OS.

Just remember you have less than a year to allow the dust to settle before you would have to pay for 10. I should expect any major issues to be ironed out within 6-9 months though.

Despite the complaints of problems, this is the smoothest OS roll-out I can remember from Microsoft.

I think the only reason there is so much discussion of problems is because such a huge quantity of people upgraded (due to it being free) so the relatively small percentage of people having problems works out to a lot of people worldwide.