Offer of free update to windows 10

I am presently running on windows 7 with no problems. I have the choice of upgrading to windows 10 for free. I don't want to create myself with any problems by going to the new windows 10. What are the pros and cons with deciding which option is the best, 7 or 10?:confused:

It's a free upgrade but not if you don't take it up in the first year. Your Windows 7 will be ok until 2020 IIRC, then you will have to buy a new license for 10 or whatever OS is out at that time.

It's entirely personal choice. My Windows 7 computer was refurbished earlier this year and works very well indeed so I won't be upgrading. Can't see the point.

10 is a vast improvement over 8 / 8.1, that's not in doubt.

Is 10 better than 7? You can't say until you try it for yourself!

I find the new Start Menu a bit fussy; it's not as jarring as the Windows 8 tiles screen, but not as simple as the old 7 Start Menu.

My advice? It's free, so back up your data, and upgrade!

If you like 10, stick with it. If you don't like it, then reinstall Windows 7 and as long as you've activated Windows 10, you should be able to upgrade in future for free at a time of your choosing.

I upgraded from 7 to 10 today. Took about 45 minutes of anxiety ("sit back and relax," it said!), but mostly OK. Can't say I'm overly impressed with it: boot time is certainly no quicker than 7, and the look-and-feel is not great - though I'll probably get used to it.

The only problems I've encountered so far are (a) MS Money wouldn't work because it said it needed IE6 (!) to run, but there's a simple registry fix for that, and (b) I have a Roland A-500S USB keyboard for which there are no drivers (a pity, but no show stopper).

Annoyances?: I don't like the pop-ups that appear every time I run certain programs (Privazer especially) - is there any way to say "Yes, it's OK to run this program every time."?

Annoyances?: I don't like the pop-ups that appear every time I run certain programs (Privazer especially) - is there any way to say "Yes, it's OK to run this program every time."?

Turn UAC off

I find the new Start Menu a bit fussy; it's not as jarring as the Windows 8 tiles screen, but not as simple as the old 7 Start Menu.

If you like 10, stick with it. If you don't like it, then reinstall Windows 7 and as long as you've activated Windows 10, you should be able to upgrade in future for free at a time of your choosing.

But you can bring the old style menu back as my moderator friend on Zorin has done - but then he knows what he is doing:

http://zoringroup.com/forum/download/file.php?id=4267&mode=view

Isn't that rather drastic?

You had to do the same on Windows 7/8 for those same popups....

if a program changes important files, or needs access to system folders, you have to ok it, it's to help prevented un-wanted programs breaking things etc...

But you can bring the old style menu back as my moderator friend on Zorin has done - but then he knows what he is doing:

http://zoringroup.com/forum/download/file.php?id=4267&mode=view

I think your friend just installed Classic Shell :D

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=11108773#post11108773

Anything has to be an improvement on Windows 8.1. I upgraded from 8 to 8.1, subsequently lost the sound and track pad functionality during this and apparently there is no way back from 8.1 to 8. I'd be wary of upgrading to 10

Anything has to be an improvement on Windows 8.1. I upgraded from 8 to 8.1, subsequently lost the sound and track pad functionality during this and apparently there is no way back from 8.1 to 8. I'd be wary of upgrading to 10

Can you reinstall Windows 7 on your device? If not, you have nothing to lose by upgrading to Windows 10.

My dinky little Netbook that I'm currently typing on shipped with 8.1. It's heavily locked down with security "features" such as Bitlocker drive encryption, UEFI and Secure Boot that made it impossible to install 7 (and believe me, I've tried everything), so I decided to install Windows 10 instead.

I installed Classic Shell because I prefer the old Windows 7 style Start Menu back, but I recommend everyone who is running 8 or 8.1 and is apprehensive about the upgrade should backup their data, and give 10 a go.

I've upgraded three of my computers so far, and other than a serious problem with my Radeon video card locking up my computer when playing videos within the Edge browser, I'm happy with it.

I find 10 boots much quicker than 7 and that is on an SSD, so I wasn't expecting to be able to tell the difference. I also feel 10 is more responsive.

I'm no fan of the new Window style (practically no borders and nothing to distinguish between the title bar and main window) but those are relatively minor issues.