Let cyclists run red lights..

CONSTANTLY???? Are you sure about that? Not my experience TBH

Whereabouts is this happening?

All I can day is you must be lucky on the roads you drive on because talking to other drivers it’s pretty much endemic (as it is in most cities)

My hotspots.

Coming down from Crookes to Walkley, you want to drive into South Road. You’ll be in position to turn right waiting for vehicles to stop coming up hill and 2 or 3 will come through on red leaving you as the car stranded between lights.

Centre of Broomhill, coming down from Crookes, turning right. Same thing happens after the lights go red the cars just keep on coming. Same area but next junction down, Newbould Lane, Glossop road junction by King Teds. That one is probably worse.

Drive down Lawson Rd and try to get out onto the A57 at the bottom. You take a big chance with drivers simply ignoring the red light at the bottom of the hill and pushing on into the yellow box.

Meadow St crossing the IRR. So many cars just carry on up Netherthope Rd on red that it’s just a joke.

The one that really got me as a ped (as in almost run down) was drivers making an illegal left turn at the bottom of Newbould Lane into Clarkehouse Road and then going through the ped crossing when it’s on green for pedestrians. That got so bad they’ve had to change the junction layout to stop it happening.

I don't really see the relevance of the last bunch of posts, of course there's idiots in all the road using groups (Cars/cycles/pedestrians/etc) but i don't see what mentioning any of it proves. Nobody's saying that it should be legalised, the thread is about allowing cyclists to go through reds.

Let cyclists run red lights..

They already do.

What a good idea !! I wonder how long I have been saying the exact same thing on here!. For sometime I think.

Its really common sense, if its clear and you pose no danger to yourself or anyone else, where is the harm??

I will continue to practice the art of red light running. it just makes the journey a little bit safer for myself (AND OTHERS)

Who'll be to blame if the red light running cyclist hits a vehicle going through the lights on green?

Who'll be to blame if the red light running cyclist hits a vehicle going through the lights on green?

I'd guess that it could be judged on a similar system to a pedestrian crossing a road under a red man against the flow of traffic?

What a good idea !! I wonder how long I have been saying the exact same thing on here!. For sometime I think.

Its really common sense, if its clear and you pose no danger to yourself or anyone else, where is the harm??

I will continue to practice the art of red light running. it just makes the journey a little bit safer for myself (AND OTHERS)

Can you explain exactly how it makes the journey safer?

Can you explain exactly how it makes the journey safer?

The suicyclists brain has evolved to surpass obstacles such as objective judgement and self-preservation in a process known as 'pedalcyclosis', the synaptic neurotransmitters now being composed of lycra and 3-in-One Oil.

All I can day is you must be lucky on the roads you drive on because talking to other drivers it’s pretty much endemic (as it is in most cities)

My hotspots.

The junction of Archer Road and Abbeydale Road by Millhouses Park is the worst of the many places I witness this. Typically you'll see at least 2 or 3 cars go through after the lights change to red.

If you were only allowed to make a left hand turn, how would you hit anything?

The proposal is like how in the US you can turn right on a red light.

The main problem with this barmy idea is that it relies on the cyclists idea of what is safe and responsible, and we all know how sound THAT is!!!

---------- Post added 25-08-2015 at 20:07 ----------

Of course it will be the driver, after all cyclists are never in the wrong are they?

If you were only allowed to make a left hand turn, how would you hit anything?

The proposal is like how in the US you can turn right on a red light.

For instance lots of traffic light control junctions also incorporate pelican crossings..if the pedestrian is crossing on a "Green Man" would they necessarily be looking for a cyclist coming around on red?