Why Sheffield won't ever get Public Access Defib's.

I remember a thread on here regarding putting Defib's in various public access areas around Sheffield (phonebox defib's). I pointed out at the time that this wouldn't happen as thieving scumbags would just have away with them due to the monetary value of them.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crime/police-fear-lives-could-be-at-risk-after-theft-of-defibrillator-in-sheffield-1-7407590

Seriously how low can you get?. Believe it or not the theft of Defib's is becoming ever more common these days.

Here's hoping the thieving scrote has an accident himself, and suddenly finds the emergency equipment he then needs has been stolen.

Would be even more ironic if it happened in the same station.

I'm always disgusted when people steal collection boxes from shops, truly sickening.

Still people like that are in a minority, and at some point in their lives, their consciences will catch up with them.

I remember a thread on here regarding putting Defib's in various public access areas around Sheffield (phonebox defib's). I pointed out at the time that this wouldn't happen as thieving scumbags would just have away with them due to the monetary value of them.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crime/police-fear-lives-could-be-at-risk-after-theft-of-defibrillator-in-sheffield-1-7407590

Seriously how low can you get?. Believe it or not the theft of Defib's is becoming ever more common these days.

I fail to be surprised at anything these days , it seems that the benchmark disappeared into the murky depths a while ago.

BTW. G.M. it's good to see you around again.

I'd have thought once a Defib is taken out of it's unit some kind of signal would be activated and responded to. Or at least fitted with a tracker, but them again, I'm not sure how much a Defib would cost, (financially, that is).

I'd have thought once a Defib is taken out of it's unit some kind of signal would be activated and responded to. Or at least fitted with a tracker, but them again, I'm not sure how much a Defib would cost, (financially, that is).

Fully automatic (public use) Defib's generally cost around the £1000 mark. A professional group has been set up on Facebook I believe to mark them with some sort of P.I.N so that they can be traced during resale once stolen, obviously the market for selling them is fairly limited therefore the majority of the ones stolen so tend to pop up online at some point.

Most Defib's have secure locked cabinets and as you say many are alarmed in public areas however this doesn't seem to deter them. I work in a medical profession therefore tend to see stories of them being stolen all of the time. I remember reading about a prolific defib thief down in Wales earlier this year, they walked away with about a dozen from around the same city.

The same problem happened in America and the only solution was to home the defibs in residential addresses and then list them all on an app. In the case of an emergency you then clicked on the app for the nearest defib and requested access / assistance. Of course this is still better than having no defib at all but still has it's issues.

I find it incredibly sad that anyone could steal something so massively important in saving lives. That said though nothing really surprises me in this day and age.