Anyone remember Nella Red Oil??

Does anyone remember a pain relief oil called NELLA RED OIL ? I remember my granddad used it years ago, and he always said how good it was at relieving pain in his back and hip. I think he got it from the chemists on the Wicker. I was wondering if anyone knows if it is still available. :help:

I remember the smell of it was a bit strange in a nice way.

I remember the smell of it was a bit strange in a nice way.

Yeah it did have a strange smell, not sure what of though :huh:

Doesn't look like something you really wanna muck about with:

Active Drug Ingredients:

Peanut Oil, Clove Oil, Methyl Nicotinate, Volatile Mustard Oil

Methyl Nicotinate is used in a few things like rhemetoid disorders, but only in cattle and horse.

Excessive consumption in humans can lead to gout and issues similar to diabetes.

but anyway, it looks like the company that made the stuff isn't in business anymore.

I think I'd be more worried about the volatile mustard oil as that's allyl isothiocyanate - pretty much all isocyanates and isothiocyanates are toxic and many of them are sensitisers as well.

Remember that it's the dose that makes the poison... it wasn't in there to any great extent. My grandparents used to use it as well - it was a very odd smell as others have said but not unpleasant. It was discontinued ages ago.

Nella red oil was made and sold by Allen chemist, which is Nella in reverse.

On 8/13/2015 at 9:53 AM, kanda8 said:

Does anyone remember a pain relief oil called NELLA RED OIL ? I remember my granddad used it years ago, and he always said how good it was at relieving pain in his back and hip. I think he got it from the chemists on the Wicker. I was wondering if anyone knows if it is still available. :help:

was it like using paraffin and brown paper to mend, well anything like on Sharpe lol

I remember it being advertised on TV in about 1970. 

Nella red oil was a product devised by Harry Allen pharmacist and chemist and his brother Ernest,my late uncle,was the star of the tv ads.