Three card brag

I love a game of three card. I've won & lost a few quid playing it. The best night I had was in the Staffordshire Arms ( Staff ) Pitsmoor I ended up with three threes and the men playing kept raising the pot I think they were hustling me. I think they were travellers and when the last one thought he had taken enough money off me he asked to see my hand the look on their faces when I showed them was priceless I won several hundred pound and that was a good amount back in the late 70s. I don't think they were going to let me leave but my mates heard the row and came into the room. The drinks were on me that night.

I love a game of three card. I've won & lost a few quid playing it. The best night I had was in the Staffordshire Arms ( Staff ) Pitsmoor I ended up with three threes and the men playing kept raising the pot I think they were hustling me. I think they were travellers and when the last one thought he had taken enough money off me he asked to see my hand the look on their faces when I showed them was priceless I won several hundred pound and that was a good amount back in the late 70s. I don't think they were going to let me leave but my mates heard the row and came into the room. The drinks were on me that night.

Good night eh? You are right on about the value at that time I won 975 quid on a Canadian(10-10-5-1) at a Ladbrokes in Stocksbridge in 1978, while contracting at Fox's. Only 4 winners but all good prices, in fact the losing horse was the shortest price of all at 9-2, only put on a 3 quid stake including tax. That money went along way as we were moving that month. By the way, the horse that lost was 2 sht. heads back and would have made my winnings 13,000 pounds.

Good night eh? You are right on about the value at that time I won 975 quid on a Canadian(10-10-5-1) at a Ladbrokes in Stocksbridge in 1978, while contracting at Fox's. Only 4 winners but all good prices, in fact the losing horse was the shortest price of all at 9-2, only put on a 3 quid stake including tax. That money went along way as we were moving that month. By the way, the horse that lost was 2 sht. heads back and would have made my winnings 13,000 pounds.

Ah you young guys!

I worked at Sammy Foxes, but we we were more concerned with buying a cup of tea and and a bun for lunch than your vegas style gambling.

Ah you young guys!

I worked at Sammy Foxes, but we we were more concerned with buying a cup of tea and and a bun for lunch than your vegas style gambling.

There was a pub at one entrance and a wmc at the other, on the main road, they didn't sell tea and buns lol, only used the canteen for breakfast. We were contractors on price work so no timekeepers on our watch.

Edited by TORONTONY

There was a pub at one entrance and a wmc at the other, on the main road, they didn't sell tea and buns lol, only used the canteen for breakfast. We were contractors on price work so no timekeepers on our watch.

Love it! We were electricians (F.H. Wheeler) on contract. Before your time.

We never drank there. It was too expensive, or we were too sooty. The Red Lion was our spot.

But we did have a Pam from Stocksbridge who was beautiful and precious, to me like Ellie from Kingsley's' "The Water Babies" so near and yet so far.

She liked me, but she had friends with cars, and motor bikes while I was 16 and still had to catch a bus for a two hour ride home.

Edited by trastrick

Hello Jim Hardie, I was a regular in the Red lion playing 3card brag on a Friday,Tuesday,night and Saturday afternoon. I also remember winning a good sized pot with 123 over AKQ, so maybe we have met before. alan p.

Lol, it was you was it? I think I did thirty odd quid in so the pot would have been £70+

I know we were going at it a fiver a time at the end. Good job you saw me when you did. :)

---------- Post added 14-08-2015 at 23:30 ----------

Lol, I thought you were going to say one of the travellers had three threes as well. :)

Tony were you working for Group Fabs then?

what a thread...i could write a book about 3card brag..won a lot of money at it.mind you i did cheat.

Everyone knows Go Johnny Go Go Go Go -

Poker is a world wide phenomenon these days and seems like everybody is playing it online. When I was younger 3 card brag was all the rage, does anyone still play?

When I was in the soft and bar my we played 3-6 and 9 card brag

what a thread...i could write a book about 3card brag..won a lot of money at it.mind you i did cheat.

You must have had a lot of nerve cheating, if you were in my generation :D

---------- Post added 10-10-2016 at 00:54 ----------

Tony were you working for Group Fabs then?

As you know Dave, we have made contact on the private message board.

I remember back in 1967 when i was an apprentice paint sprayer at Kennings on Tenter st. The lunch time 3 card brag game in the canteen was a sight to see with a mountain of money on the table , it looked to me about a years wages but on 3 quid a week for an apprentice it probably was.