Will you pay another 23p for farmers milk?

Millionaires!

You're fighting for millionaires. Massive land-owners who run often quite large businesses. And you're trying to give them more money at the expense of those who want to buy food from supermarkets at the lowest economically viable price.

Have you hit your head?

Look. Im just posting links..make your own mind up.

---------- Post added 12-08-2015 at 15:20 ----------

No. It's clearly about the poor suffering millionaires who will struggle to afford the 2 new range rovers they wanted this year.

Have you also seen the article about the coleraine farmers who use the food banks they donate to?

---------- Post added 12-08-2015 at 15:22 ----------

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-33764602

---------- Post added 12-08-2015 at 15:24 ----------

http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/tractors-block-supermarkets-as-farmers-protest-over-northern-ireland-dairy-farming-crisis-31415937.html

Look. Im just posting links..make your own mind up.

---------- Post added 12-08-2015 at 15:20 ----------

Have you also seen the article about the coleraine farmers who use the food banks they donate to?

They may be suffering from cash flow problems due to poor business management. And they don't all have 2 brand new range rovers (although a hell of a lot of them do). But they are sitting on a 7 figure (or at least high 6 figure) asset which they are free to sell. They're not starving and you don't have to prove poverty to get food from a food bank.

There is a number of articles related to the northern ireland milk price crisis.

Objectively speaking they dont look like millionaires to me.

Who are we? Supermarkets?

I think you already know the answer, but to clarify by "we" I mean the UK.

The dairies and producers want to band together, cut out the supermarkets and start selling direct to the public.

This used to happen in the days of the milkmen who delivered to your door. It`s only become a problem since milk started to be sold in large quantities by supermarkets

They may be suffering from cash flow problems due to poor business management. And they don't all have 2 brand new range rovers (although a hell of a lot of them do). But they are sitting on a 7 figure (or at least high 6 figure) asset which they are free to sell. They're not starving and you don't have to prove poverty to get food from a food bank.

And in strabaane http://m.newsletter.co.uk/news/regional/dairy-farmers-step-up-campaign-against-plunging-milk-prices-1-6881369

There is a number of articles related to the northern ireland milk price crisis.

Objectively speaking they dont look like millionaires to me.

Look. When you're a private business owner sometimes you get super-rich and sometimes the market is not kind and you have to sell up and go do something else. Taking the resulting massive bag of cash with you.

Unless you're a real idiot and you've borrowed yourself into bankruptcy in which case you declare bankruptcy and move on.

You benefit greatly if you're successful and you'll still be okay even if you fail.

You take your chances.

But if you make it a policy to overpay for milk (pay above market value) and especially if you get nothing in return, you're basically handing over a mountain of cash from ordinary people for whom food is a big expense, to mostly very rich business owners who are having a lean year.

I really don't think you want to do that, and I think you're coming to realise that too.

By "raw deal" you mean that they are out competed by NZ lamb farmers who can sell it cheaper to us, even when it has to be shipped halfway around the world.

Read up on it. Again its not black and white.

Im not on a crusade against supermarkets.

---------- Post added 12-08-2015 at 15:40 ----------

Look. When you're a private business owner sometimes you get super-rich and sometimes the market is not kind and you have to sell up and go do something else. Taking the resulting massive bag of cash with you.

Unless you're a real idiot and you've borrowed yourself into bankruptcy in which case you declare bankruptcy and move on.

You benefit greatly if you're successful and you'll still be okay even if you fail.

You take your chances.

But if you make it a policy to overpay for milk (pay above market value) and especially if you get nothing in return, you're basically handing over a mountain of cash from ordinary people for whom food is a big expense, to mostly very rich business owners who are having a lean year.

I really don't think you want to do that, and I think you're coming to realise that too.

Are you a private business owner? Sorry thought you worked in the public sector.

Ever had your house on the line? Livelihood? Family? Business debts and loans?

We are talking about family owned businesses in some cases. I think its right they try and fight falling milk prices and get the best deal they can to safeguard their businesses.

---------- Post added 12-08-2015 at 15:42 ----------

Maybe you could go in as a business consultant? Sort out their cash flow problems:hihi:

Read up on it. Again its not black and white.

Im not on a crusade against supermarkets.

---------- Post added 12-08-2015 at 15:40 ----------

Are you a private business owner? Sorry thought you worked in the public sector.

Ever had your house on the line? Livelihood? Family? Business debts and loans?

We are talking about family owned businesses in some cases. I think its right they try and fight falling milk prices and get the best deal they can to safeguard their businesses.

By working in the public sector, I get more job security (although not much in my line as I'm on a rolling contract which is never guaranteed to be renewed), but I'll never be rich.

If you start a business you expect to keep much of the profits if it's successful and take most of the hit if it isn't.

I'm sorry, but we are mostly still talking about millionaires. Why are you so keen to help them out? Why can't they sell up like any other owner of a failing business?

I'm going to have to assume that you really have hit your head. Quite hard in fact. If you blacked out at any point, you really should seek medical attention.

Edited by unbeliever

Private businesses don't (have to) put your house on the line, that's why limited companies exist.

By working in the public sector, I get more job security (although not much in my line as I'm on a rolling contract which is never guaranteed to be renewed), but I'll never be rich.

If you start a business you expect to keep much of the profits if it's successful and take most of the hit if it isn't.

I'm sorry, but we are mostly still talking about millionaires. Why are you so keen to help them out? Why can't they sell up like any other owner of a failing business?

I'm going to have to assume that you really have hit your head. Quite hard in fact. If you blacked out at any point, you really should seek magical attention.

Im not keen to help out millionaires...its easy to say start something else and lose everything when its not your ass on the line.

---------- Post added 12-08-2015 at 15:54 ----------

Private businesses don't (have to) put your house on the line, that's why limited companies exist.

We dont know the ins and outs...i suspect from the evidence ive seen some farms are in deep.

Im not keen to help out millionaires...its easy to say start something else and lose everything when its not your ass on the line.

Clearly you are. That's what you've been advocating for all the way through this thread by saying we should overpay the millionaires for their milk.

If they didn't want to take that risk, they could have chosen to do something else. They were happy to benefit from the high living standards when times were good, but now they don't want to live with the consequences of failure. Which is most cases is selling up and walking away with a huge bag of cash.

Excuse me whilst I fetch my tissues.