Will you pay another 23p for farmers milk?

But then I'm not the supermarket's target audience.

Oh no, good Lord no, you're far too superior for that.

I have a milkman and it currently costs 71p a pints if that's what it costs to produce and supply then I am happy to pay it.

No I would not pay extra, but would pay the going rate which is what it is now.

Dairy farmers in this country are getting paid on average the same as the other top dairy producers in the EU and are one of the main 5 producers. The price of UK milk in the supermarkets now is around the same as in those EU countries as well. EU quotas have also now been dropped and because of that milk production has increased. The farmers are actually contributing to the low price by producing too much.

http://dairy.ahdb.org.uk/market-information/milk-prices-contracts/farmgate-prices/eu-farmgate-milk-prices/#.VcpYmvmTQth

If they cant deal with it then they should do what other companies do and either do something else or quit.

I always try to buy local butter, just bought 2 blocks of Sainsburys butter for 85p each.

The supermarkets had Yorkshire milk on a year or so ago, now it seems to be British. I would have thought that the Yorkshire milk cost more, so it got dropped.

I always try to buy local butter, just bought 2 blocks of Sainsburys butter for 85p each.

The supermarkets had Yorkshire milk on a year or so ago, now it seems to be British. I would have thought that the Yorkshire milk cost more, so it got dropped.

They sell Jersey Milk which is around £1 per litre .

Yes, I'll pay it. (Although I would prefer the supermarkets to pay more to the farmers and absorb the cost themselves, I think their profits can stand it.)

Can we really afford another industry to go to the wall?

Once it's gone, it will be gone for good, and once the supermarkets have created a monopoly, they'll be able to charge what they want, and you can be sure prices will go up.

However at least Morrison's has listened; compromised; and is giving us a straight choice. It's a start, so well done to them.

---------- Post added 11-08-2015 at 23:04 ----------

You've got to hand it to Morrison. They saw a no-cost marketing opportunity and grabbed it with both hands.

Stunning business nous for them, a bit crap for the farmers. This so called good deal for farmers will probably put even more of them out of business even faster.

Unfortunately two thirds of UK dairy farmers can't get a bean from this deal even if they wanted to because it's with a single diary who only take milk from a third of UK dairy farmers. The other two thirds will see their market share go down even further as a result and they won't get a single penny extra.

For those who want the farmers to pack up and get another job because of some chip on their shoulder about steelworkers and miners in the 1970's, you'll be looking forward to the lush green countryside being turned into a vast dust bowl as farming moves from grass fed livestock to massive brown prairies full of fleets of combined harvesters gathering in biofuel.

Read this after my post.

What do you think would help the dairy farmers? (serious question.)

If the supermarkets want to attract custom by selling milk artificially low then fine but don't expect the farmers to pay for it.

If the supermarkets want to attract custom by selling milk artificially low then fine but don't expect the farmers to pay for it.

I remember this sort of thing back in 2001, I heard it on a phone in. Dairy farmers staring down the barrel of extinction. As I alluded to on another thread about cheese, either they've muddled through on savings for 15 years or we're importing a lot of milk (I don't know, are we?). Or perhaps, things aren't quite as bad as the farmers are suggesting?

Don't get me wrong, supermarkets can and do screw everyone but I'm not convinced all these farmers are about to go bust.

I already pay more for organic milk, the regular stuff is a disgusting nasty product.

The cows often spend their lives indoors and with very little space. They're just milk machines. I'm not an organic nut, but when it comes to milk production I like it that the cows have a better life and that I'm drinking a more natural product.

http://www.soilassociation.org/whatisorganic/organicanimals/dairycattle

Edited by Nagel

What do you think would help the dairy farmers? (serious question.)

Produce less milk, so the price rises.

Try selling direct to the public like my local farm does (if you havent tried unpasturised milk you really are missing out. Just be sure they have shot all the badgers nearby)

Add value. Turn it into artisan cheese and butter.

I have a milkman and it currently costs 71p a pints if that's what it costs to produce and supply then I am happy to pay it.

Same here!

It wouldn't cost 71p from a supermarket. It's a far more efficient way of selling it. 50p a pint would be reasonable. Milkmen are an anachronism from when people didn't have fridges.