'Global fascias' scammers - S6

Hi all,

Today my boyfriends mum got scammed out of £480 to do some guttering and felt roof work on the house. Two men in a white van which said global fascias on it, both men wearing matching overalls with the logo on.

£260 for the guttering and £220 to replace the felt roof on the bay window...

Put the ladder up to start work on the guttering (which was rotten and needed doing), has done a shoddy job of the guttering its not even the same size as the houses either side of it, so not sure what's going to happen when it rains. Anyway then on to the roof, said he was going to replace the felt roof, she saw him painting something on the top of the window (thought it was adhesive for the new felt so didn't think anything of it). Next minute they're both gone, left all old guttering in the front garden, and turns out he'd just put a layer of waterproof type paint on top of the old felt and nowhere to be seen.

The boyfriends mum had seen them doing work on another house up the road (or pretending to, they had a ladder up against the house after she'd seen them knocking on the door a few minutes earlier), so when they approached her for something that needed doing which was half the price (due to no scaffolding he said) she jumped at the chance as it's something that had been playing on her mind. Thinking back on it all, as soon as she had said yes, they came straight over so hadn't even done any work on the other house - could have been they had seen them go out and used their house as a prop to get other people thinking they were genuine !?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing :(

I've searched the Internet, and 'global fascias sheffield' came up as a suggested search while I was typing, but can't find anything at all online for them....

Someone else must know about this, seen them, know something about the 'company' etc. we can't have been the only ones they have done this to. And they need to be stopped before they do this to someone else. The police will be getting a call tomorrow !!

Some house contractors/handymen can be fraudulent. Here are some tips that I use:

1) never be in a rush, even when they say "I'm in the area doing another job and can give you a really good price if you agree now." Its like buying a car, if you are in a rush you will pay more

2) ask for references even if it is only a phone call you have to make. Do they have reference letters from previous customers ?

3) ask to see identification. ie, a driving license with address and make a note.

4) Do they have a business card ? If not that is a good clue they may not be legitimate

5) never never, never, never pay all in advance. If they are not crooks they will accept that part payment is fair, then the balance paid only when work is completed and satisfactory

Be very aware of this lot....SCAMMERS and then watch your or neighbours property get done over...also have brown astra ?? estate type van...DOnt enter in to conversation.

Just had a man with a white van call at my door in Worrall trying to sell me a mattress.TOld me a **** and bull story about his boss telling him not to bring anything back to the depot and to sell what was not delivered.White van with Home Deliverjies written on the side ,no phone number no address.Beware.

That will be the recovered mattress :gag:

Unfortunately an expensive but valuable lesson learned.

I helped a neighbour out a few years ago, she had her drains cleaned by a bunch of cowboys. When they asked for payment (£80 for pouring a bottle of bleach down the drain) I asked for an invoice. I was presented with a scruffy bit of paper with "Cleaning drains £80" written on it.

When I asked for a proper one, with name. address, company number, VAT number on it they disappeared.

My boyfriend managed to find a number for them online, called them he said he hadnt finished and was always planning on coming back today to finish the job.... We'll see how that goes, not very optimistic!

Had another scammer a few weeks ago knocking on doors selling fish from a red transit van,dressed more like a builder than a fishmonger.

Never,ever buy anything,product or services from someone who knocks on your door.

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. These guys did me over in Bradford last year also. Charged me a lot of money for minimal work. I asked them to replace my soffits etc with UPVC, they only covered up the original wood (which was rotten). I argued with them and got money knocked off but when it rained I realised they didn't put the guttering back correctly. It cost me over £100 to put this right!

These are their numbers -

I have a photo of their flyer and also an invoice document (nothing on them is relevant, no addresses, VAT etc...)

I called it a few times only to be fobbed off, I gave up in the end.

If anyone can get me an address I can send them the small claims court order I have awaiting to be signed off.

Thanks,

Matt.