Mobile mot test?

^^ I've searched high & low to find the definitive answer on that one, there's plenty of people on forums giving opposing opinions.

I'm certainly not going to 2 of my nearest MOT stations because of bodged work they've done for me in the past.

Yes but we're not on about "work" we're on about having an MOT test :suspect:

^^ Read what I said - I wasn't talking about having work done, I was giving that as my reason for not going to those garages for an MOT.

They bodged my car and they're not getting any more money from me.

I don't think you read my post? bodged an MOT how the hell can you do that? its an inspection there is nothing took apart :roll:

If you cannot remain civil then please refrain from posting.

I don't think you read my post? bodged an MOT how the hell can you do that? its an inspection there is nothing took apart :roll:

I think he meant bodged other work on his car, so doesn't think theyre competent to do the mot.

^^ Thanks. They also missed a fault during the MOT.

Is it a part of a normal car insurance policy that the car is road worthy?, if something happend while being driven with no MOT or tax, would they question is it roadworthy?

If the garage collects, it will be on there trade insurance, they normally have trade plates (to cover tax), and as its booked in and going to the station, legallay there okay to drive it there aswel.

Lots of garages offer the collect and return service - even if its your local mecanic, they can take it to MOT for you, and also do any repairs required.

Would ask your trusted mecanic first if he can sort MOT, this then avoides senario of having gotten it to MOT station, if it fails, what do you do then? not sure if the same law that allows you to drive to a MOT station, then allows you to drive a MOT failure to another garage for repair. So the MOT place kind of have you between a rock and a hard place.

The law says you can drive to and from an MOT station, and to and from a place of repair, the latter not necessarily on the same day, without tax or test. These visits must be pre-arranged.

The law also says you can't drive an unroadworthy car on the road, so if you get nicked in the above circumsatnces it's up to the copper who stops you what happens.

There is provision for an MOT tester to prohibit a seriously unroadworthy car from being driven on the road, but he can't stop you from having it recovered from the testing station. If someone drives a prohibited car from an MOT the tester will most likely call the police, if only to cover his own back.

I'm not sure about the insurance position, but I would say if you knowingly drove an unroadworthy car you wouldn't be covered*, but if a car crashes due to say a brake fault that develops on a journey you would be covered.

* I think there's an obligation on the insurance company to provide 3rd party cover in this case, even if the policy is fully comp.

There is provision for an MOT tester to prohibit a seriously unroadworthy car from being driven on the road, but he can't stop you from having it recovered from the testing station. If someone drives a prohibited car from an MOT the tester will most likely call the police, if only to cover his own back.

You got a link to this information? As far as I'm aware an MOT tester does not have the power to stop someone driving away in their just failed (dangerous) car, advise not to yes, but not stop them. As for covering their own back it would be flagged on the fail as dangerous anyway, there is that facility when entering test results.

No.

I was given a red notice on an MOT some years ago (c1975) and I'm sure it said I mustn't drive it. This would have been well before VOSA was setup.

It seems that VOSA/DVSA inspectors (as opposed to MOT testers) and certain police officers are the people who issue prohibition notices.

You got a link to this information? As far as I'm aware an MOT tester does not have the power to stop someone driving away in their just failed (dangerous) car, advise not to yes, but not stop them. As for covering their own back it would be flagged on the fail as dangerous anyway, there is that facility when entering test results.

I have known MOT centres that also carry out work scare female drivers into getting work done by not allowing them to take their own car home after a failure thus forcing them to get work done there and then, as far as I know they cannot do that.