Is your job important?

Every job is important… From toilet cleaner and beyond. Everyone/ Every job is equally important 100%.

---------- Post added 10-08-2015 at 22:33 ----------

Some may earn more money but no more important than any other job. Swings and roundabouts.

I remember when bin men went on strike in the seventies, and the streets were awash with litter, bin bags and rats...

Everybody's work should be appreciated and valued, but some employers treat employees like dirt.

I remember when bin men went on strike in the seventies, and the streets were awash with litter, bin bags and rats...

Everybody's work should be appreciated and valued, but some employers treat employees like dirt.

I agree and this was in the day bin men actually lifted the bin bags running after the bin lorry and having to throw them like a javelin into the lorry. Nowadays the van does all the work. Bin men stand hands in pockets waiting on the lorry doing the work.

---------- Post added 11-08-2015 at 00:17 ----------

Sorry Honey cant empty the bin because the lid is open half an inch!. Lol…. I would love to go back to the real working days chasing the van slowly creeping the length of the street while you had to RUN and throw bags into the back.

I agree and this was in the day bin men actually lifted the bin bags running after the bin lorry and having to throw them like a javelin into the lorry. Nowadays the van does all the work. Bin men stand hands in pockets waiting on the lorry doing the work.

Sorry Honey cant empty the bin because the lid is open half an inch!. Lol…. I would love to go back to the real working days chasing the van slowly creeping the length of the street while you had to RUN and throw bags into the back.

What gets me is how a private company (veolia) can get away with getting us the public to do what should be their jobs, which is to separate the recycle waste and then physically take the bins to the pavement for them.

Every job is important… From toilet cleaner and beyond. Everyone/ Every job is equally important 100%.

---------- Post added 10-08-2015 at 22:33 ----------

Some may earn more money but no more important than any other job. Swings and roundabouts.

I disagree. My job, nay entire industry, could evaporate overnight and world would hardly raise an eyebrow. A lot of service industry jobs are like that I'd reckon.

I disagree. My job, nay entire industry, could evaporate overnight and world would hardly raise an eyebrow. A lot of service industry jobs are like that I'd reckon.

I honestly disagree my friend. Sometime we ALL do things in life and never see or appreciate our worth and involvement. But believe me it almost always does in differing ways. Swings and roundabouts we all need each other! Sometime we don’t get to see the knock-on effect we played on this planet ! We all play a part.

My son has an important and extremely well-paid job. Important in that his daily decisions reflect well or otherwise on the futures of those who work for him, and for whom he cares, and for the company as a whole. Is he indispensable? No, of course he's not and he would be the first to acknowledge that. There will always be another brick to fill a hole in the wall.

But, even when we know we can be replaced, where do we draw the line as to the effort we put in? He has followed our work ethic that, whatever you do, you do to the very best of your ability. I sometimes question now whether we got it right. It sees him working hard with 110% effort resulting in long hours most days. It's the only way he can feel satisfied in himself. So, even when we know we can be replaced, is this wise? Where should we draw the line between giving our very best and realising that we're only a very small replaceable "speck" in the grand scheme of things?

The Indispensable Man

(by Saxon White Kessinger)

Sometime when you're feeling important;

Sometime when your ego 's in bloom;

Sometime when you take it for granted,

You're the best qualified in the room:

Sometime when you feel that your going,

Would leave an unfillable hole,

Just follow these simple instructions,

And see how they humble your soul.

Take a bucket and fill it with water,

Put your hand in it up to the wrist,

Pull it out and the hole that's remaining,

Is a measure of how much you'll be missed.

You can splash all you wish when you enter,

You may stir up the water galore,

But stop, and you'll find that in no time,

It looks quite the same as before.

The moral of this quaint example,

Is to do just the best that you can,

Be proud of yourself but remember,

There's no indispensable man.

Just had to post this again.

Regards.

So would the world stop if your job disappeared?
If my industry disappeared (and it would have to do so globally), probably the most important knock-on effect is that a very sizeable chunk of global R&D spend (in all STEM -and more- fields, including pharma in particular) would slow to a trickle, if not eventually disappear. Technological progress of some sort would continue of course, because to invent is an inherently human activity...but at a significantly slower pace.

My job wouldn't exist if it weren't for the legal principles and statutes under which, if you invent something worthwhile, you can get a time-limited commercial monopoly for your invention. But if such legal principles and statutes didn't exist, arguably we'd be nowhere near as technologically advanced as we are today as a society, because industries wouldn't have invested in R&D to the same extent historically. Virtuous or vicious circle? I'm still not sure myself, tbh. That's a philosophical debate that has long raged within our industry, still very much undecided one way or the other, likely for ever and more.

In that context, I can say hand on heart that I have saved the existence of several businesses and the livelihood of their employees caught in sticky legal situations over the years, but that's just doing the job right and well. Nothing another person suitably qualified and experienced couldn't have done. The job market says, still to this day, that we're rare and therefore expensive. I'm not sure that makes the job important per se, personally I just see it as a measure of the difficulty of the job.

So, not sure whether any of that makes the job important in and of itself. For me, much like the above poem, it's about doing right and doing good, and training the next generation (trainees) well to do at least as good.

Edited by L00b

I cannot speak for every area of Sheffield, but I see 3 areas on a regular basis while they are having their bin emptied. In all three cases the bin men are collecting bins at a jog and putting them on and off the wagon. OK, they no longer have to throw the rubbish into the back of the van, but they are certainly not stood around. I don't know how long each round lasts, but the parts I've seen is still hard, physical work at the rate they are doing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinfoilhat

So would the world stop if your job disappeared?

If my industry disappeared (and it would have to do so globally), probably the most important knock-on effect is that a very sizeable chunk of global R&D spend (in all STEM -and more- fields, including pharma in particular) would slow to a trickle, if not eventually disappear. Technological progress of some sort would continue of course, because to invent is an inherently human activity...but at a significantly slower pace.

My job wouldn't exist if it weren't for the legal principles and statutes under which, if you invent something worthwhile, you can get a time-limited commercial monopoly for your invention. But if such legal principles and statutes didn't exist, arguably we'd be nowhere near as technologically advanced as we are today as a society, because industries wouldn't have invested in R&D to the same extent historically. Virtuous or vicious circle? I'm still not sure myself, tbh. That's a philosophical debate that has long raged within our industry, still very much undecided one way or the other, likely for ever and more.

In that context, I can say hand on heart that I have saved the existence of several businesses and the livelihood of their employees caught in sticky legal situations over the years, but that's just doing the job right and well. Nothing another person suitably qualified and experienced couldn't have done. The job market says, still to this day, that we're rare and therefore expensive. I'm not sure that makes the job important per se, personally I just see it as a measure of the difficulty of the job.

So, not sure whether any of that makes the job important in and of itself. For me, much like the above poem, it's about doing right and doing good, and training the next generation (trainees) well to do at least as good.

Ah, you're a patent attorney!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android