Pre decimal money

I've got all Half Crowns 1920-47, there was 3/9d of silver in a half crown from those years the 1930 was most valuable due to a low mintage.

I've also got the Florins.

---------- Post added 12-08-2015 at 22:10 ----------

Some are worth good money to a collector - see here for example, and also here. It depends on the date, and the condition..:)

Pity I've got 12 George VI 3 pence and 17 Queen Elizabeth 3 pence pieces but not the year shown.

Hi May Blob - yes, silver coins dated from 1920 to 1946 were 50% silver (before 1920 they were 92½% silver - i.e. "sterling silver"). For the 12-sided brass 3d. bits, 1946 is also a scarce date, as well as 1949 as per the eBay offer. Here is an eBay offer of a 1930 half crown.

Edited by hillsbro

Pre Decimal Money.

I do seem to recall Swan Vesta matches being rounded up from 3d to 3p overnight.

I don’t seem to recall my wages at Wigfalls being rounded up overnight. Lol.

Oh, and lets not forget that a bob piece and a two-bob piece each had two dates on them.

The original date, and

1771 = shilling upside dahn. Lol.

Thankyou for the scans Hillsbro.

The old white five pound note were covered in peoples names & addresses . The notes were easy to forge, so the giver was required by the recipient to provide this information.

The old white five pound note were covered in peoples names & addresses . The notes were easy to forge, so the giver was required by the recipient to provide this information.

And of course, the Beatles song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"* directly references the pre-decimal money, as they were in the process of falling out and suing each other over the cash.

(*LSD = £.s.d.)

When I lived in new Zealand as kid they had pounds shillings and pennies same coins and value as her,they went decimal about 67 time at first it took a bit of getting used to..when I came back to England they had just changed to decimal a few years earlier so it was real easy for me to understand but my Granny had no idea at all, I used to sit with her for hours explaining things but she just could not understand decimal at all,she used go shopping and just open her purse and say just take what you want to the shopkeeper,what gets me angry is things sold and measured meters and liters it just does not comprehend with me.

When I lived in new Zealand as kid they had pounds shillings and pennies same coins and value as her,they went decimal about 67 time at first it took a bit of getting used to..when I came back to England they had just changed to decimal a few years earlier so it was real easy for me to understand but my Granny had no idea at all, I used to sit with her for hours explaining things but she just could not understand decimal at all,she used go shopping and just open her purse and say just take what you want to the shopkeeper,what gets me angry is things sold and measured meters and liters it just does not comprehend with me.

hiya. i remember my uncle telling me about a tom smith who was a waiter in the salutation pub down st philips rd. he was in the club on radford st one thursday when tom asked to borrow 10 bob while friday which he did. this was at 9.30, he followed tom to the salutation pub where by 10 oclock last orders tom ha spent the 10 bob on 9 pints of beer at 1/1d per pint. you didn;t walk round with 240 pennies in your pocket, thats what half a crown, two bob,bobs,tanners, threpny bits ,haypnys, i remember going into pub with ten bob buying 4 pints, ten fags, games of dominoes,or cards.

hiya schooldays for an eight/nine year old in miss halls class at springfield went like this,

12 pence 1 shilling,18 pence 1 and 6, 20 pence 1 and 8. 24 pence 2 shillings. 30 pence 2 and 6 pence

Edited by willybite

A Maltese guy I worked with about 7 years ago told me that they still had the pre decimal British money in Malta at the time I knew him.

In my childhood I remember we used Farthings, some items were priced in pennies, halfpennies & farthings.

12 pence 1 shilling,18 pence 1 and 6, 20 pence 1 and 8. 24 pence 2 shillings. 30 pence 2 and 6 pence

36 pence, three shillings.

40 pence three and fourpence,

48 pence four shillings.

50 pence four and tuppance.

60 pence 5 shilling.

66 pence 5 and sixpence,

72 pence, 6 shillings

80 pence six and eightpence,

84 pence 7 shillings.

Can I sit down now, Miss?

36 pence, three shillings.

40 pence three and fourpence,

48 pence four shillings.

50 pence four and tuppance.

60 pence 5 shilling.

66 pence 5 and sixpence,

72 pence, 6 shillings

80 pence six and eightpence,

84 pence 7 shillings.

Can I sit down now, Miss?

Not until you get to ten and a tanner, sonny jim;)

In my childhood I remember we used Farthings, some items were priced in pennies, halfpennies & farthings.

When my mom was a girl during WWII, her family used farthings to play shove football. They each had a "team" of farthings with different stickers or paint on them. I remember seeing the decorated farthings when I was young and visited her parents.