Pre decimal money

Talking of Fitzalan Square, I did the street view tour on google recently, not a pub in sight, between the Penny Black on Pond Street and what used to be the Bull and Mouth on Castlegate. The Square is full of betting shops and moneylenders, like another world. lol

Yes right Mr.T done similar 'tours'. Wonder if you did the same 'Google tour' past the Wicker on to Attercliffe Road and so on, what would be the next pub one came across. the 'Station' near Worksop Road? I heard that re-opened.

10 Park Drive was the same price as a pint, when I started drinking around1962 i.e. 1/5d...
Yes, I seem to remember that 10 Park Drive or Woodbines cost about that price in the early 1960s, but cigarettes have still increased in price much more than beer as 'Hillsbro' noted, no doubt due to higher taxation. I suppose that if the Chancellor didn't raise money from tobacco duty it would have to come from elsewhere, so we shouldn't complain (especially non-smokers!)

I often think of the things we could buy for an (old) penny in the 1950s - a local bus ticket (a child could travel about a mile for a penny), a big Trebor chew (or two smaller 'Black Jacks') or a stick of liquorice root. For 2d you could buy a small packet of KP peanuts or a similar packet of KP tiger nuts. Come to think of it, what happened to tiger nuts?:confused:

Yes, I seem to remember that 10 Park Drive or Woodbines cost about that price in the early 1960s, but cigarettes have still increased in price much more than beer as 'Hillsbro' noted, no doubt due to higher taxation. I suppose that if the Chancellor didn't raise money from tobacco duty it would have to come from elsewhere, so we shouldn't complain (especially non-smokers!)

I often think of the things we could buy for an (old) penny in the 1950s - a local bus ticket (a child could travel about a mile for a penny), a big Trebor chew (or two smaller 'Black Jacks') or a stick of liquorice root. For 2d you could buy a small packet of KP peanuts or a similar packet of KP tiger nuts. Come to think of it, what happened to tiger nuts?:confused:

I could be wrong, but wasn't it FOUR Black Jacks or Fruit Salads for a penny?

Could well be - the old memory ain't what it was. :P I do remember that the small hard 'Spanish' liquorice sticks were two for a penny, and Barratt's sherbert fountains were twopence. :)

My Dad once told me how to work out the old money, it got me so confused it seemed to be very confusing I just glad it changed to pounds and pence and would be struggling for sure. Iv got a few coins of the old money one has Queen Victoria on it.

If you can work out feet and inches, you can do shillings and pence. it's the same. For example, 80 inches equals 6' 8" and eighty pence was 6s and 8d (6/8) but shillings to pounds is another matter. Decimal currency is definitely easier.

Could well be - the old memory ain't what it was. :P I do remember that the small hard 'Spanish' liquorice sticks were two for a penny, and Barratt's sherbert fountains were twopence. :)

Good old Spanish juice as my granddad called it.

---------- Post added 11-08-2015 at 10:09 ----------

Did tiger nuts go the way of the monkey nuts lol? Or are peanuts still called monkey nuts?

Has anyone still got any? I have a few, half crowns, florins, the old silver threepenny bits as well as the brass ones. Also pennies and halfpennies. I don't know why I've kept them, they have no value.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6181768373863045121

Hi Minimo, This is my collection of the old money, some are blackish

worn down looking scruffy money.

£1. Pound Note. 10/-s Shilling Note. 2/6 Half a Crown. 1947 Sovereign.

2/- Shillings and 1/- Shilling. 6d Six pence. 3d Thrip'ni-bit.

and a Silver Thrip'ni-bit and last a Farthing.

Loved the old money but heavy in the pocket. :hihi::hihi:

1d used to buy a packet containing 4 Beechnut Spearmint from vending machines, every 4th sale you got an extra packet, we used to hide and count the number of sales then nip in and get 2 for1!

I remember when bus fares were 8d in the old money to anywhere in Sheffield in the 1960's early 70's

...Come to think of it, what happened to tiger nuts?:confused:
I bought some last week from the "Nut Bar" in the Moor Market - £2 (in new money ;)) for 400 grams (in new weight :rolleyes:). They aren't actually nuts (tubers of a type of sedge) and taste just as good as they did in the 1950s.

yes four for a penny I also remember the beech nut machines you got an extra packet every forth turn, the knob had a black dot that may have been added by a local scally.Still got a very tatty pound note plus a jock one.

Edited by rockonvynil

looking back pre decimal i cant believe now there was 240 pennies in a pound no wonder my mother had to stich up my pockets so much weight going down town in the mid sixties all night for a quid, my first pint was 1 and 10 x eight twenty embasy bus there and back and still some change

You forgot the fish and chips, lol