Rotating Spit Doner Kebab Meat

What happens to that huge rotating piece of brown stuff in the kebab shop window when the place closes? Surely it is too hot to put directly into the chiller, is it just left on the vertical spit and warmed up again the next the day? I sincerely hope I'm wrong!!!

What happens to that huge rotating piece of brown stuff in the kebab shop window when the place closes? Surely it is too hot to put directly into the chiller, is it just left on the vertical spit and warmed up again the next the day? I sincerely hope I'm wrong!!!

Just don't eat off it, that's the best option. Unless ****faced, then it's acceptable :thumbsup:

Just don't eat off it, that's the best option. Unless ****faced, then it's acceptable :thumbsup:

I don't think I've ever been that sh*tfaced that I would resort to eating that crap anyway. Nobody seems to be able to tell me what its constituents are?

I don't think I've ever been that sh*tfaced that I would resort to eating that crap anyway. Nobody seems to be able to tell me what its constituents are?

:hihi:

I would think that it constitutes similar content to cheap sandwich shop sausages. Basically the stuff that's not good enough to sell as itself (i.e. chicken, beef etc.), but probably too good for cat and dog food, all ground up with plenty of spices and salt, and squashed into the spit thing.

I've eaten a few in my life and never was ill. What I don't like about them isn't the taste or content (let's face it, no one with a brain thinks it's 100% Lamb, and they can taste nice), it's the grease/oilyness of them. I don't like that type of food, because you can taste it for hours, and can't get rid of the oily taste.

---------- Post added 09-08-2015 at 00:03 ----------

*re the meat/salt/spices content, that other thing too that goes in cheap sausages, but I can't remember its name, it's like thick flour.

Edited by *_ash_*

:hihi:

I would think that it constitutes similar content to cheap sandwich shop sausages. Basically the stuff that's not good enough to sell as itself (i.e. chicken, beef etc.), but probably too good for cat and dog food, all ground up with plenty of spices and salt, and squashed into the spit thing.

I've eaten a few in my life and never was ill. What I don't like about them isn't the taste or content (let's face it, no one with a brain thinks it's 100% Lamb, and they can taste nice), it's the grease/oilyness of them. I don't like that type of food, because you can taste it for hours, and can't get rid of the oily taste.

---------- Post added 09-08-2015 at 00:03 ----------

*re the meat/salt/spices content, that other thing too that goes in cheap sausages, but I can't remember its name, it's like thick flour.

You should try the ones in Turkey, no oil or grease at all.

I have been going to Turkey for 6 years (2-3 times a year) not eaten a kebab in England since my first trip.

I have been going to Turkey for 6 years (2-3 times a year) not eaten a kebab in England since my first trip.

Wouldn't mind trying that Ghost. I'm not criticizing them, the ones at Pisa Pizza on Crookes are nice. The only reason I don't have many is because I don't go out and drink a lot. They don't appeal to me as much when I'm sober - probably because I know it isn't likely at all to be prime cuts of lamb, and the content plays on my mind a bit more when functioning well :D

But what are the basic constituents of Turkish ones? Is it just offal and mechanically rendered meat which could not be sold separately?

---------- Post added 09-08-2015 at 00:20 ----------

And what happens to it when the shop is closed? Nobody seems to be able to answer that one?

But what are the basic constituents of Turkish ones? Is it just offal and mechanically rendered meat which could not be sold separately?

And what happens to it when the shop is closed? Nobody seems to be able to answer that one?

I believe they are basically the same as the English ones, but with a lot less fat content, and turkish herbs and spices.

As for where they store them overnight, I have seen a few kebab shops that leave them to cool, then put them in the fridge...

They're supposed to take it off the grill, let it cool & then refrigerate it, then heat it up properly the next day, if any is still unsold after 2 days it should be binned. Ideally they'd use smaller kebabs & aim to sell it all in one day.

They need to be more careful with chicken kebabs. Lamb is usually safer, fattier & no doubt it has loads of salt & preservatives in too when it's a doner kebab.

Sounds ghaaaaaastley, and I mean ghaaaaaastley.

Kebab shop i used few years ago. let the log cool then rap it in clinging film then put it in chest freezer.

when its on the spit then thing is frozen solid and furs as its cooked

I saw a programme where they visited a big kebab factory somewhere near Leeds I think. Owned by a Turk. They skewer decent thin slivers of lamb meat with a sliver of fat every so often. All quite decent stuff. Who knows what goes into the meat paste type.:gag: