Whats a hipster and where do you find them?

So they're actually just putting a lot of effort into following the style 'hipster', conforming with that group.

its post-irony not irony.

---------- Post added 10-08-2015 at 14:43 ----------

post-ironic

adjective: When one's ironic appreciation of something becomes genuine, usually due to either prolonged exposure or the enjoyment derived from how amusingly terrible it is.

At first, I thought Pitchfork's inclusion of Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone" at #21 on their top 500 tracks of the 2000s list was just hipster irony... But now real hipsters post-ironically recognise it for the great song it is, go figure.

---------- Post added 10-08-2015 at 14:44 ----------

i know - what a load of old balls!

So they're actually just putting a lot of effort into following the style 'hipster', conforming with that group.

The penny drops.

Errr, no, I'm just restating what had already been said in a different way.

This post still applies

It's pretty much impossible to be unique in a broad sense isn't it. It doesn't matter what I wear, how I cut my hair, what music I listen to or how niche are the beers I drink, someone somewhere will have done the same, and probably quite a lot of people.

Hipsters aren't unique in a broad sense, that's the point. What's your point?

Hipsters sit in cafes and use old school typewriters to work the touchscreen on iPads. In Sheffield, rich veins of hipsters can be found in tamper coffee.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Hipsters sit in cafes and use old school typewriters to work the touchscreen on iPads. In Sheffield, rich veins of hipsters can be found in tamper coffee.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

To much caffeine mate.

Hipsters aren't unique in a broad sense, that's the point. What's your point?

That was the point I made, about 5 posts ago. Thanks for repeating it though.

Can someone tell me why people identify them as being hipster and why they think it makes them special

Can someone tell me why people identify them as being hipster and why they think it makes them special

it's a bit like people being chavs or goths or punks only with beards

http://www.wikihow.com › ... › Urban Styles

There you are Phil. Copied and pasted. xx

How to Be a Hipster. Hipsters are people who enjoy clothing, music, food and activities considered to be outside of the social mainstream.

The trouble is, it all quickly became quite mainstream.

---------- Post added 09-12-2016 at 21:58 ----------

They're far too well know for hipsters. Don't forget the hipster mantra of "I liked that before you knew about it" and their disdain for anything once it becomes well known.

I've been thinking of styling myself as an anti-hipster with the motto "I liked that after it had become passée." :)

I have a friend who's (quite ironically) become a hipster. I tell people I knew him before he was a hipster.

The original hipsters of the 1940s were a jazz subculture of economically poor, but culturally rich, urban liberals which subsequently engaged more affluent youths. The culture emerged during tough economic and uncertain political times. It was marked by a rejection of mainstream lavish culture and typical lifestyles, in favour of a more arts based appreciation of, and finding meaning in, life. It was notably a mixture of different ethnic, musical and clothing styles.

Modern hipsterism originated as an evolution of the 'indy' i.e. independent culture, mainly in the Brooklyn area of New York. It is similar in that it is mainly an urban and liberal culture which grew up from younger people in ethnically diverse neighbourhoods, with cheaper housing costs (and really this is the key to the origin of UK hipsterism re Shoreditch and Manchester's Northern Quarter). It is also based around a rejection of traditional consumerism and adoption of a lifestyle based on ethical, independent, vintage and reuse purchasing. It is also to some extent a culture which appreciates the arts, in music, architecture, interior design and fashion.

In my view, the key to it's recent growth is that it is mainly a middle class subculture of young people who have been left out of the normal economic structures by lack of opportunity. They are tipified by relatively affluent backgrounds and high educational attainment, but without high paid jobs. Hence, the typical graduate working as a barista cliche.

What makes them 'so special' is simply that their educational and cultural standpoint put them in a similar group to the 'liberal elite' media. Hence as a culture they are getting attention in the media.