Poor migrants from Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan

Why did Britain need the help of others in WWII? :rolleyes:

Because we didn't have enough young men. What they didn't do is jump on a boat to America. Well, some did probably but you get the gist. Who are they leaving behind though and to what fate?

Because we didn't have enough young men. What they didn't do is jump on a boat to America. Well, some did probably but you get the gist. Who are they leaving behind though and to what fate?

I've been trying to think what I would do? And I can't see me abandoning my wife/children/father/sister to a marauding force. I think I'd stand and fight.

Bit of a long sail to America don't you think?

---------- Post added 15-09-2015 at 22:38 ----------

I've been trying to think what I would do? And I can't see me abandoning my wife/children/father/sister to a marauding force. I think I'd stand and fight.

I wouldn't either but me or you don't know the situation in Syria do we?

In leu of a proper army or anything organised to join I'd scoop as much of my family and possessions together and go to Turkey or Jordan. I'm really not sure I'd risk them on a dingy to Greece.

Besides, isn't all the attention on the admittedly awful plight of these refugees drowning on the high seas taking away from attention (and time and money) to making the refugee camps better and making areas in Syria or Iraq safer for people? So the EU spend lots of time and money on all those ones who make the journey. What about those that don't?

In leu of a proper army or anything organised to join I'd scoop as much of my family and possessions together and go to Turkey or Jordan. I'm really not sure I'd risk them on a dingy to Greece.

Besides, isn't all the attention on the admittedly awful plight of these refugees drowning on the high seas taking away from attention (and time and money) to making the refugee camps better and making areas in Syria or Iraq safer for people? So the EU spend lots of time and money on all those ones who make the journey. What about those that don't?

My point is, these are mostly young men abandoning their families. Yes I know the media tries to get as many pics as possible of women and children, but they are mostly young men.

My point is, these are mostly young men abandoning their families. Yes I know the media tries to get as many pics as possible of women and children, but they are mostly young men.

They may have left brothers back home to take care of the rest of the family until they can earn more money to get them out.

Why are you assuming they are the only males in the family?

They may have left brothers back home to take care of the rest of the family until they can earn more money to get them out.

I suppose so - they do seem to breed like rabbits.

ah so they arnt refugees but migrants coming here to work then :hihi: I knew you would get there in the end mafya:roll:

ah so they arnt refugees but migrants coming here to work then :hihi: I knew you would get there in the end mafya:roll:

No they are refugees fleeing war who in some cases can only pay for one person to leave rather than the whole family.

Educate yourself = http://www.unhcr.org/pages/49c3646c125.html

Do you expect refugees to never get a job and earn money?

No they are refugees fleeing war who in some cases can only pay for one person to leave rather than the whole family.

Educate yourself = http://www.unhcr.org/pages/49c3646c125.html

Do you expect refugees to never get a job and earn money?

Yes, I think we do expect them to go back to the country they fled from in due course and not put down roots and expect to stay. If they want to assume the status of immigrants, they should do it through the proper channels in the first place.

When you look at the damage and deaths and injuries and the amount of people made homeless in Sheffield alone, in WWII, what would have happened if everyone who could had just upped sticks and tried to leave?

You wouldn't be here today, mafya, that's a fact. Although I admire your ability to keep on flogging a dead horse.

Yes, I think we do expect them to go back to the country they fled from in due course and not put down roots and expect to stay. If they want to assume the status of immigrants, they should do it through the proper channels in the first place.

When you look at the damage and deaths and injuries and the amount of people made homeless in Sheffield alone, in WWII, what would have happened if everyone who could had just upped sticks and tried to leave?

You wouldn't be here today, mafya, that's a fact. Although I admire your ability to keep on flogging a dead horse.

I'm of the opinion myself that refugees should not be allowed to stay permanently as it puts starting on the host country's.

WWII was a different scenario to the Syrian war where you have the govt, the Free Syria rebels and Isis all wearing at the same time.

My grandfather (RIP)was in the Indian army as Pakistan had not been formed and actually fought in WWII so it wasn't only the English not running away it was soldiers from other country's backing us up too= https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Army_during_World_War_II

I'm not flogging a dead horse I'm just countering some ridiculous assumtions made on here.

What is true is we have become increasingly less religious over the decades. We now have about 800,000 people attending a Church of England ceremony on Sundays, which is half what it was back in the 60's.

So what has the steady move towards a more secular society meant? Have we seen a breakdown in morality? Are we less tolerant? No, we have actually become a fairer, more tolerant and prosperous society. And the same pattern can be seen across Western Europe.

We don't see the same pattern across the Muslim world. The Muslim world remains intolerant, factional and violent. The poor are many and they really are poor. The worst places are where the migrants and refugees are coming from and I, like most people, don't welcome the cultural practices and beliefs they bring with them because they are the mother of the dysfunctionality they flee. Couple that with a massive financial burden and it is a big 'no thank you' from most people.

It is a reality that is dangerous to ignore.

Many of the more affluent refugees from Syria are secular, some of them may even be Baathists, the ones that we will take from the camps are likely to be much poorer , much more religious, perhaps more intolerant of other religions, etc, and in many cases uneducated and in many cases traumatised. Not saying they shouldn't be rescued, but it is a very long term commitment.

---------- Post added 16-09-2015 at 00:45 ----------

Things have changed a lot. I really hadn't comprehended the sheer number of people on the move.

The camps if funded properly will be safer. What needs to happen is well is a concerted effort to make Syria safe for return.

Lastly, it became clear that there were a lot of Pakistani refugees arriving in Europe. If Pakistani Christians need refuge from persecution IMO we should be taking them directly from Pakistan rather than lleaving them to the mercy of traffickers.

many thousands of pounds and load of supplies are being raised, including people in the city sending vans, etc to Calais, fully backed by local M.P's. I know something as to be done there, but it would be best to send money to MSF and Red Cross, etc, otherwise it will become a permanent camp as many open borders proponents seem to want to happen .

---------- Post added 16-09-2015 at 00:50 ----------

Why did Britain need the help of others in WWII? :rolleyes:

I think it is a very legitimate question, many of the young men are highly educated, very physically fit, and at times quite aggressive(though hunger and fatigue can aggrevate this). many will have been in the FSA, while others in Assad's military, of course many will be traumatised, tortured in some cases, but even POWs in WW2 tried to get back into the fight, which at times could be just as brutal as what has happened in Aleppo, etc.