Help needed tofind my grandfather and fathers war recrds

I also tried to get my fathers War/Army records. I applied to the Records office in Glasgow who sent me the forms to fill in. But they required 25 pounds and a copy of his birth certificate of which I cant get, as I live overseas and I have no idea where to find it.

23 hours ago, Steph-Kailey said:

Hi, my uncle started this thread and has since past away. If possible can any information be sent to me? Struggling to find anything in regards to my great grandfather Charles Henry Belk. Thanks!

Hi Steph....a good start would be to find his medals if they are still in the family...they will tell you his army number and regiment...which makes things easier.

If not do you have any photographs of him in uniform?

Edit...

Having now had a quick look, the info supplied above by Lobster and Hillsbro looks accurate....Lancashire Fusiliers...wounded and then into the Royal Engineers....although it looks to me to be Royal Engineers to Lancashire Fusiliers and back to Royal Engineers.

I would strongly recommend that you pay for a month on Ancestry ( although you can get it free in some libraries) £13.99...(but immediately cancel it or they will automatically enrol you at the months end.) You are very fortunate...it is one of the most complete service records I have seen for a WW1 soldier...but it can be hard to decypher without help.

There is another relative of yours on there showing family trees which can tell you so much about your roots....although you need to double check everything.

Download all the information that is on there....there is quite a bit but it's difficult to read and then go to

' The Great War Forum ' and join (free)....read the sticky about researching a soldier using 'the Long Long Trail ' and then post asking for help from the experts on there....if you've made an effort and shown willing, the help you will receive can be priceless...and all by volunteers.

They will send you links and snippets but won't post full service records from paysites due to the copyright issue...but the info will be second to none...particularly their knowledge on units and troop movements.

Edit 2

As I see it so far he joins in Nov 1915, is married in December at Brinsworth to Ethel May Hampson.

They have a daughter Edna , but sadly wife Ethel dies during WW1.

Goes to France and is hit by a machine gun bullet in the elbow and is sent back to the UK to recuperate.

He got to Murmansk in Russia on the 27th of November 1918, and at that time his address is given as 51 New Road, Blackburn, Sheffield.

He remarried after WW1.

Edited by sadbrewer

10 hours ago, Lord Lucan said:

I also tried to get my fathers War/Army records. I applied to the Records office in Glasgow who sent me the forms to fill in. But they required 25 pounds and a copy of his birth certificate of which I cant get, as I live overseas and I have no idea where to find it.

If you want a copy of the birth certificate take a look at

https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate#other-ways-to-apply

Did you look at the link in my other post to get the military records? 

Edited by iansheff

Wow, thank you everyone for your help! We have someone digging further into this now. We never knew of Jack Belk and we were told that Robert had 2 daughters before his wife’s passing but looks like it was just Edna. 

3 hours ago, iansheff said:

If you want a copy of the birth certificate take a look at

https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate#other-ways-to-apply

Did you look at the link in my other post to get the military records? 

The link wouldn’t work, it said something about an incorrect url. If you have it still, it would be greatly appreciated!

It worked ok when I just clicked on it, here it is again.

And this one for military records.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records.

Failing that go to https://www.gov.uk/    and search on there.

Edited by iansheff

5 hours ago, Steph-Kailey said:

Wow, thank you everyone for your help! We have someone digging further into this now. We never knew of Jack Belk and we were told that Robert had 2 daughters before his wife’s passing but looks like it was just Edna. 

Another snippet that has come up is that Robert was involved in a fatal accident at the Blackburn Sidings in 1926 when a porter accidentally fell between the carriages.

33 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

Another snippet that has come up is that Robert was involved in a fatal accident at the Blackburn Sidings in 1926 when a porter accidentally fell between the carriages.

Here is a report of the accident in the "Sheffield Daily Telegraph" of 12 November 1926. https://i.postimg.cc/wByjQ1KH/01.jpg

How do we find out about jack Belk can’t find no records of him thanks

3 hours ago, Micky444 said:

How do we find out about jack Belk can’t find no records of him thanks

Sadly Jack appears to have died shortly after birth.

10 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

Sadly Jack appears to have died shortly after birth.

Thanks you