Flea treatment for dogs

How often do people give their dogs flea treatment. I've been using Frontline every month on my dog and I've been told today by a vet receptionist that I only need to use it every 2 months. Opinions please

That's if Frontline still works at all on the fleas that your pets get. More and more of them are becoming resistant to fipronil.

Personally I only treat if I see a sign that one of them has picked something up (I do check) then I treat all of them and the house.

Plus natural dog shampoos that have ingredients that repels flees are good . Also few drops of lavander oil on the collar is supposed to help . But I frontline every three months as well but they have not had flees up to now. Ticks yes when on holiday and I had frontlined them a few days before .

Short answer....three monthly.

The worming tablets from my vets are recommended 3 monthly and the flee treatment monthly.

Stuff that!

She is wormed treated three monthly and the flee treatment purchased and used at the same time.

I just use Advocate drop on which is for fleas and worms a couple of times over the summer, I think doing it monthly is totally overkill.

I also treat the house with Indorex once a year after spring cleaning, which IMO is actually more important than putting stuff on the animals.

Every 8 weeks should suffice but if you walk your dog through woodlands quite a bit off lead then I'd suggest a good combing every week to check for fleas/ticks. You could also use a mild flea shampoo half way through treatment.

Also depends on dogs fur too!

I use frontline and use it once every 3 months. I've only spotted a flea once in 8 years so just did the next treatment early and sprayed the house and washed all the bedding and toys, I think that was due to us staying in a dog friendly cottage. I'm not keen doing the flea treatment just for prevention as I do think it causes more resistance which makes getting rid of fleas when the are actually caught more tricky for everyone. My old dog was never frontlined and never had a flea her whole life.

Hi guys lve a 12stone boxweiler plus a chuhuaha which have fleas just want to know if there's a natural repellent for them. Don't want to use chemical sprays etc etc.

Hi guys lve a 12stone boxweiler plus a chuhuaha which have fleas just want to know if there's a natural repellent for them. Don't want to use chemical sprays etc etc.

I am afraid it is a little bit late for a repellent. You can only use that BEFORE they have fleas. If they already have them you will need to use chemicals on both dogs and in the house...and do it quickly!! Each female flea lays up to 50 eggs a day which drop off into your house and hatch over the next few weeks/months/years.

I like Stronghold spot-on and Indorex house spray. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply will look into it...cheers

Frontline is 2 monthly for flea treatment & monthly for ticks, so unless your pet is prone to ticks the 2 monthly is enough.

If anyone has ever seen a small pet die of anemia from a massive flea infestation then you would use flea preperation

I personally ( having a milti pet household) flea mine every 2 months, sometime Frontline and sometime Advocate. I would keep my eye on the little Chihuahua if it has fleas and get it treated sharpish