Southern Indian food in Sheffield

Yum yum, I love masala dosa, in fact most south indian veggie dishes are lovely. I will be visiting a "South Indian" restaurant in london next week (quite new), I'm looking forward to the experience even though my mum can make anything at home.

To be honest I would never set foot in a normal "Indian" restaurant. Pretty much everything they cook is absolutely nothing like what I cook myself or what I get at my parents. :gag: :gag:

Where is this restaurant spicey?

Where is this restaurant spicey?

Uxbridge, can't remember what it's called though!

Bit of long shot this - but does anyone know of anywhere in Sheffield that does Southern Indian food - Masala Dosas, Thalis etc?

I can think of a few places that do a Madras.

Bit of long shot this - but does anyone know of anywhere in Sheffield that does Southern Indian food - Masala Dosas, Thalis etc?

Virtually all the curry places in Shef are Pakistani or Bangladeshi run & do UK curry/northern indian food. I could really do with a decent masala dosa - but dont want to have to travel to Manchester or Leicester to get one!

any ideas?

new south indian/srilankan place is opened at 227, abbeydale road, sheffield. It's fantastic. I have tried it several times.

I never get pestered to order the most expensive dishes, and she often tells me if I'm ordering too much and won't let me order more than she thinks I can handle. She'll be the first to admit that her style isn't for everybody. She can be a bit pushy and a bit in your face. But that's one of the reasons I love the place so much. It's obviously not always going to be everybodies cup of tea, but it's nice to go to an Indian that cares about their food and their customers and actually puts thought and effort into their enjoyment.

So many Indian places let you order what you want, but I always find at Nirmals that if i try to order something that won't go with my main dish, then she'll suggest something else and it's nearly always spot on. I really can't fault the place, but then like everywhere there's always going to be people whom it doesn't suit.

Does she still have the newspaper cuttings framed on the wall of when Nirmal's won entry to the Good Food Guide - in 1987 or something?

That should tell you all you need to know about Nirmal's. It was good, very good, once. But that's a long time ago. She got more and more expensive and more and more intrusive.

I used to go a lot at one time - in fact, I used to entertain a lot of clients there. But not just me, but also my clients thought the same - that the food was nowhere near as good as it used to be and it was bloody horrendously expensive (and a lot of the dishes aren't priced up).

Anyhow, she's got so much more competition now with Aagrah's, Cafe Guru, Aroma and Akbars that there's no reason to go to Nirmal's anymore.

new south indian/srilankan place is opened at 227, abbeydale road, sheffield. It's fantastic. I have tried it several times.

Oh dear! I was getting all excited for a moment when you started out saying that a new South Indian restaurant had opened on Ecclesall road. And then I saw the next bit "/ sri lankan". So, what is it my friend? South Indian cuisine or Sri Lankan? They are different countries altogether, albeit in rough proximity to each other. It sounds like you are not sure?

I suppose it could be both, although that would be mighty unusual considering neither have been in this city before. I sincerely hope you are right and if so I'll be down there in a shot.

South Indian cuisine is quite different to your typical Pakistani/Bangladeshi fare. You won't find "chicken tikka masala" and "meat korma/dopiaza/madras/vindaloo" on the menu in an authentic South Indian restaurant. You will find rice pancakes, masala dosa, stuffed with spiced vegetables and served with dips.

I will go to this place you recommend and try and order a masala dosa. If they don't serve that then it isn't a South Indian restaurant that's for sure.

Oh dear! I was getting all excited for a moment when you started out saying that a new South Indian restaurant had opened on Ecclesall road. And then I saw the next bit "/ sri lankan". So, what is it my friend? South Indian cuisine or Sri Lankan? They are different countries altogether, albeit in rough proximity to each other. It sounds like you are not sure?

South Indian and North Sri Lankan = Tamil. I think you will find it's all one cuisine.

I suppose it could be both, although that would be mighty unusual considering neither have been in this city before. I sincerely hope you are right and if so I'll be down there in a shot.

South Indian cuisine is quite different to your typical Pakistani/Bangladeshi fare. You won't find "chicken tikka masala" and "meat korma/dopiaza/madras/vindaloo" on the menu in an authentic South Indian restaurant. You will find rice pancakes, masala dosa, stuffed with spiced vegetables and served with dips.

I will go to this place you recommend and try and order a masala dosa. If they don't serve that then it isn't a South Indian restaurant that's for sure.

you will get dosa, idly, vada and other south indian dishes.. there are some srilankan dishes as well.. like Kothu Roti, Pittu etc..(these are also made in Kerala state)

I just nipped in to get a menu. The guy was very friendly and insisted that I try some. They don`t do delivery yet but the menu looks good and reasonable too! :)

Just dragging up an old thread....there's a new cafe on Ecclesall Road (the old swegway shop), called Masala Dosa, or something like that. Sells south Indian food, not tried it yet, but I will be :)

http://www.masaladosacafe.co.uk/

Just dragging up an old thread....there's a new cafe on Ecclesall Road (the old swegway shop), called Masala Dosa, or something like that. Sells south Indian food, not tried it yet, but I will be :)

http://www.masaladosacafe.co.uk/

Well things have changed in the 10 years since I first posted - there's at least 5 places now in Sheffield that I can get a Masala Dosa

:)