Southern Indian food in Sheffield

Hi Guys

We have just opened a new South Indian restaurant -two states at Hillsborough- we are mainly focusing on Kerala state and Andra state food which is quite different to Arusuvai and Rama's .We have been open for a month now and we are in the top 5 Indian restaurant in sheffield.

It will be really nice if you guys could visit us and give a honest reply about the food ,since I have got my South Indian chef from our restaurant in Dubai

Looking forward to some comments and reviews

Thank you :)

As it happens, we were there last night! The menu is a bit different from some of the other 'south indian/sri lankan' places, and there were several things that we have not seen before.

In the interests of making a comparison, we stuck to fairly normal things last night: aubergine fritters, chilli panneer, masala dosa, chicken chettinad, chapattis. The fritters were freshly made and crisp but needed a dip or sambar (pickles were quickly brought on request); chilli panneer was a decent spiciness; the masala dosa was really good, a nice crsipy dosa with a well-spiced filling - perhaps the best that I have had in Sheffield?; the chettinad was good, could perhaps have been a bit hotter but plenty of flavour. Chatting afterwards, the mamager told us that the spicing is a bit toned down to suit UK tastes, so don't be afraid to ask if that is what you want!

It was excellent value: less than £30 for two.

So all-in-all, very good, and we are looking forward to a return visit to try some of the stuff that was new to us. It would have been nice to have some decent bottled beers to go with the food - all that is on offer is the usual curry house stuff.

As it happens, we were there last night! The menu is a bit different from some of the other 'south indian/sri lankan' places, and there were several things that we have not seen before.

In the interests of making a comparison, we stuck to fairly normal things last night: aubergine fritters, chilli panneer, masala dosa, chicken chettinad, chapattis. The fritters were freshly made and crisp but needed a dip or sambar (pickles were quickly brought on request); chilli panneer was a decent spiciness; the masala dosa was really good, a nice crsipy dosa with a well-spiced filling - perhaps the best that I have had in Sheffield?; the chettinad was good, could perhaps have been a bit hotter but plenty of flavour. Chatting afterwards, the mamager told us that the spicing is a bit toned down to suit UK tastes, so don't be afraid to ask if that is what you want!

It was excellent value: less than £30 for two.

So all-in-all, very good, and we are looking forward to a return visit to try some of the stuff that was new to us. It would have been nice to have some decent bottled beers to go with the food - all that is on offer is the usual curry house stuff.

Hi Pete

Nice to see you here and thank you for replying to my comment and yes I do remember you and your friend

The traditional street food is served with pickle and chutney tray and I forgot to get that out at the right time,my mistake but I am happy that you liked the aubergine fritters.

The chilli paneer is usually more spicier then what we served you but then we are still getting use to the UK taste but then like you have mentioned if you want it spicy we can always do that :)

I am happy that you liked our dosa since dosa is our main selling dish back home and I am quite happy to hear such a wonderful comment from you since you have been to most of the South Indian restaurant in sheffield :) thank you

From this weekend we have introduced the Xmas prices for pints and 2 bottles for 5 pound as well

Hope to see you soon and would love to get your honest comment on the other new dishes :)

Thank you

No dilemma there: dosas make an excellent mid-meal snack between starter and main course...

Hasn't Sai Nivas recently closed?

I am not surprised if it has closed. While the food was just about alright, the service wasn't good at all and the ambiance of the restaurant left a lot to be desired. And the way they packed the takeaway food was pathetic! Just packed it all together and left it to you to separate the food when you got home. If some of the food got soggy - hard luck!!!

---------- Post added 18-12-2016 at 19:50 ----------

Hi Pete

Nice to see you here and thank you for replying to my comment and yes I do remember you and your friend

Thank you

Added to my calendar to try this out during the week :)

The menu looks very good, especially the Crab curry which is not an easy dish to come by. And a place that makes Masala Dosa so close to home is a bonus. And then there is Chicken Manchurian on the menu too :)

I am not surprised if it has closed. While the food was just about alright, the service wasn't good at all and the ambiance of the restaurant left a lot to be desired. And the way they packed the takeaway food was pathetic! Just packed it all together and left it to you to separate the food when you got home. If some of the food got soggy - hard luck!!!

---------- Post added 18-12-2016 at 19:50 ----------

Added to my calendar to try this out during the week :)

The menu looks very good, especially the Crab curry which is not an easy dish to come by. And a place that makes Masala Dosa so close to home is a bonus. And then there is Chicken Manchurian on the menu too :)

Hi the mandarin

Thanks for checking the menu and yes the crab is not easy dish to cook since it's not soft shell crab and we had few customers who liked it

Masala Dosa and chicken Manchurian are the dishes we sell a lot everyday ,I must say that's our trade mark dishes.

I hope to see you soon in the restaurant and would love to hear your honest feedback about the food

I hope to see you soon in the restaurant and would love to hear your honest feedback about the food

Feedback - The Masala Dosa at the restaurant was great - definitely the best that I have tasted in Sheffield. I will be back to taste some of your other dishes soon :)

There's a South Indian restaurant in Hillsborough. I can't remember for the life of me what it's called, but it's on the same side of the road as that big BM Bargains store - just turn to the right as you have your back to BM Bargains... and it's a couple of hundred yards along the road....very near the Tram stop. This restaurant does dhosas, sambals....the whole South Indian works. I've never yet been in there myself, so I can't comment on the quality of the food, but I've had lots of positive comments so far about the quality and authenticity of the food, the generous portions, the nice atmosphere and decent service, etc, etc. Maybe this one is worth a try?

There's a South Indian restaurant in Hillsborough. I can't remember for the life of me what it's called, but it's on the same side of the road as that big BM Bargains store - just turn to the right as you have your back to BM Bargains... and it's a couple of hundred yards along the road....very near the Tram stop. This restaurant does dhosas, sambals....the whole South Indian works. I've never yet been in there myself, so I can't comment on the quality of the food, but I've had lots of positive comments so far about the quality and authenticity of the food, the generous portions, the nice atmosphere and decent service, etc, etc. Maybe this one is worth a try?

Are you referring to "TWO STATES"?

Feedback - The Masala Dosa at the restaurant was great - definitely the best that I have tasted in Sheffield. I will be back to taste some of your other dishes soon :)

Hi mandarin

Thank you for the wonderful feedback :) hope to see you soon in the restaurant again to try our special dishes

---------- Post added 09-01-2017 at 04:50 ----------

Hi Firethorn1

The South Indian restaurant in Hillsborough near BM Is two states. We are quite happy to know that you have heard positive comments about the food and service.

I am the owner of two states and it will be pleasure to see you in the restaurant someday to try our food and to get a genuine feedback from your side as well

Cheers

We went to two states on Saturday,our first choice would have been the front room,but the kitchen is being refurbished at the moment.

So we looked on the t'internet and opted to try the two states for a change.

it wasn't overly busy as it was early evening,we were greeted by a nice chatty waiter who promptly seated us.Without going into detail as in what we had,the meal was really very good and different.Nice ambience and service.my wife remarked it was the best curry she had eaten ever!WE WILL RE VISIT SOON.

Edited by nobbalovski
miss spelling

We went to two states on Saturday,our first choice would have been the front room,but the kitchen is being refurbished at the moment.

So we looked on the t'internet and opted to try the two states for a change.

it wasn't overly busy as it was early evening,we were greeted by a nice chatty waiter who promptly seated us.Without going into detail as in what we had,the meal was really very good and different.Nice ambience and service.my wife remarked it was the best curry she had eaten ever!WE WILL RE VISIT SOON.

I had only had the Masala Dosa and the Biryani from TWO STATES. Now I am tempted to try the curry :)

If you can get past the decor....try Masala Dosa (it's called just that! Bright orange and green frontage with a big tiger plonked outside) on Eccy Road, will be interesting to see what you think. It's 'fast food' , but I did really like their dosa.

Edited by Maquina

Went to two states again on Saturday for my birthday treat and once again had a great meal, its fast becoming our favourite restaurant, not just because of the food, but also the great service and waiters/waitresses.

Had the ginger prawns, delicious, They even chucked in a free drink as it was my birthday!! It was interesting to see a large party (15) of I assume, Southern Indian customers, ordering a meal, always a good sign of a good restaurant. Keep up the good work, people seem to be coming from far and wide to eat here, a couple came from Leeds who we spoke to.