ID cards in the UK.From a Left/Right perspective - Poll

Do you think ID cards in the UK would be a good idea  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think ID cards in the UK would be a good idea

• I am generally Left leaning in my politics and I would NOT introduce them.
    • I am generally Left leaning in my politics and I WOULD introduce them.
    • I am generally Right leaning in my politics and I would NOT introduce them.
    • I am generally Right leaning in my politics and I WOULD introduce them.
    • I am apolitical and I would therefore be neither for nor against anything.

Forgive my ignorance here, but could someone please explain what they mean by ID cards? We already have ID in the form of driving licence/passports. If you mean a proof of age card, I’m sure teenagers can apply already for such things. Have I missed some news story or other?

Not everyone has either a passport or driving licence..

Ive seen some pointless polls on SF. But this is right up there.

Not everyone has either a passport or driving licence..

That’s true. I wonder how these people get bank accounts and such?

Birth certificate - is that enough these days??

Doesn't prove very much about you really...

Birth certificate shows you were born in uk. Its not an a form of i.d

Forgive my ignorance here, but could someone please explain what they mean by ID cards? We already have ID in the form of driving licence/passports. If you mean a proof of age card, I’m sure teenagers can apply already for such things. Have I missed some news story or other?
NI cards, driving licenses, passports: none of them are compulsory, and NI cards do not carry any photo (AFAIK...maybe more recent ones than mine do :)).

I expect that, within the meaning of the OP, a UK ID card would similar to the one in e.g. France and effectively amount to a 'mini-passport' with:

• photo
  • full name
  • DoB
  • height
  • eye colour
  • town/city of birth
  • place of residence
    optionally, fingerprints (encode in binary format, not actually printed).

and a time-limited validity/renewal interval (e.g. 5 years for kids, 10 years for adults).

Importantly, unlike the NI cards, driving licenses, passports <etc.>, it would have to be mandatory, for the system/principle to work.

That’s true. I wonder how these people get bank accounts and such?
Would be a damn sight easier with one of the above, than currently with a bundle of <whatever up to a threshold of evidentiary burden, much of which forgeable>, that is for sure. Edited by L00b

I dont like it. Another form of big brother watching. We have enough i.d forms.

---------- Post added 03-08-2015 at 12:23 ----------

A passport is enough.

Do you think ID cards in this country would be a good thing?

I am fed up of every time I want to do something be it sign for a library card to apply for a loan they need identification.

It would solve that problem. As for the big brother aspect. The government already has my details anyway ie passport, birth certificate etc its not any more information that they already have it just makes my life easier.

I dont like it. Another form of big brother watching.
The State has long had all of the above information, in duplicate if not triplicate or quadruplicate, whether you have a passport or not. Just saying.

We have enough i.d forms.
Well, that's just the problem, isn't it? There are lots of optional, non-compulsory ID forms, the requirement for which is ad hoc (e.g. if you want to drive, need a driving license).

Personally, I've long advocated the integration of driving license entitlement (when qualified to drive e.g. cars, and/or motorbikes, and/or lorries <etc.>) with ID cards in France, to reduce admin, printing and other associated duplicated costs.

A passport is enough.
It's not compulsory. Unless the ID card was to be made compulsory, there's just no point in having one at all.

NI cards, driving licenses, passports: none of them are compulsory, and NI cards do not carry any photo (AFAIK...maybe more recent ones than mine do :)).

I expect that, within the meaning of the OP, a UK ID card would similar to the one in e.g. France and effectively amount to a 'mini-passport' with:

• photo
  • full name
  • DoB
  • height
  • eye colour
  • town/city of birth
  • place of residence
    optionally, fingerprints (encode in binary format, not actually printed).

and a time-limited validity/renewal interval (e.g. 5 years for kids, 10 years for adults).

Importantly, unlike the NI cards, driving licenses, passports <etc.>, it would have to be mandatory, for the system/principle to work.

Would be a damn sight easier with one of the above, than currently with a bundle of <whatever up to a threshold of evidentiary burden, much of which forgeable>, that is for sure.

Thank you :) It sounds like a good idea to be honest.

If the ID card usurped everything else except the passport then I'd go for it, I don't see a problem.

We are generally being profiled everyday anyway.

And I'd make it compulsory.