Building Pullup Bar/Barstarrz park - Where to buy Galvanised Bar?

I'd like to start improving my calisthenic abilities, I'm looking to make an outdoor pullup bar complex at home. I've called some 10 companies in Sheffield and Rotherham, ironically I'm having trouble in sourcing some galvanised bars in such small quantity! :help:

Here are my plans http://imgur.com/rohM74p

Could someone offer advice on the material of the post? As it rains a lot in the UK, I'd like something that will last and not rot away. I'm considering using wooden posts as steel posts seem to be a bit more expensive and challenging to find.

Would be great if they have the ability to cut and potentially thread them.

Please fire away with ideas/suggestions. I'd love to get a build done as soon as possible.

Much appreciated :D

Edited by DarkShadow

I'd like to start improving my calisthenic abilities, I'm looking to make an outdoor pullup bar complex at home. I've called some 10 companies and ironically I'm having trouble in sourcing some galvanised bars in such small quantity! :help:

Here are my plans http://imgur.com/rohM74p

Could someone offer advice on the material of the post? As it rains a lot in the UK, I'd like something that will last and not rot away. I'm considering using wooden posts as steel posts seem to be a bit more expensive and challenging to find.

Would be great if they have the ability to cut and potentially thread them.

Please fire away with ideas/suggestions. I'd love to get a build done as soon as possible.

Much appreciated :D

If you're planning on welding the pre-galvanised bars, then you're wasting your time as the welds will rust (harsh, but true).

I'd go to a fabricators and have them made, then galvanised if you want this design.

A cheaper (easier) alternative would be to use scaffold poles and the associated galvanised couplings. That way it'll come as 'flat-pack' with the added bonus of being adjustable. :)

If you're planning on welding the pre-galvanised bars, then you're wasting your time as the welds will rust (harsh, but true).

I'd go to a fabricators and have them made, then galvanised if you want this design.

A cheaper (easier) alternative would be to use scaffold poles and the associated galvanised couplings. That way it'll come as 'flat-pack' with the added bonus of being adjustable. :)

Hello, thank you for your response.

I don't intend to weld. There are many videos on youtube where people have just used a bolt to stop any of the bars from turning. I was thinking scaffold poles would be a better (and cheaper alternative) as my budget is limited.

Just hoping to find some places to buy said bars.

Have you tried eBay???

At the very least it might give you the names of a few local companies to contact?

Have you tried eBay???

At the very least it might give you the names of a few local companies to contact?

I've contacted a few ebayers and I'm waiting on them to get back to me, my biggest reservation is none of these are based around Sheffield and I don't feel comfortable ordering without seeing in person.

Tv last week or week before on, Build a house for under £100000 they made a book shelf out of small Dia Galvanised tube, it showed you in the warehouse where they were picking the fittings for the tubes, there was a good selection of fittings, if you could get to see this program it might help you.

galvanized steam pipe is readily available from BSS at neepsend or other pipeline suppliers---rather than weld as mentioned before mechanical clamps may be the answer==T and angle fittings----secured by allen set screws--these are used when errecting barriers but there will be some un treated parts which may be sprayed with spray on galve

galvanized steam pipe is readily available from BSS at neepsend or other pipeline suppliers---rather than weld as mentioned before mechanical clamps may be the answer==T and angle fittings----secured by allen set screws--these are used when errecting barriers but there will be some un treated parts which may be sprayed with spray on galve

This is what I was looking for, names of places to check out. Thanks.

Any others just so I can price compare?

---------- Post added 13-08-2015 at 09:54 ----------

I thought I'll update the thread.

I have some newer plans here: http://i.imgur.com/w6HPAIE.jpg

Instead of using wooden posts if I stick with scaffolding, I'll need:

3 X 3 Metre 1 inch Pipes (Posts)

1 X 1.5 Metre 1 Inch (Main bar)

1 X 0.5 Metre (Small bar for elevated push ups)

2 X 1.5m 2inch bar (parallettes)

2 X 1.6m 2inch bar (parallette posts)

I would most likely buy the biggest size and cut to requirements.

Now if I have different sized bars between the posts and parallettes, I would need clamps instead of tee joins. That's where my dilemma begins as it significantly increases the price.

I was thinking of sourcing it from ebay as there's a seller who charges a flat fee of £12 shipping and it's worth it for the convenience but the price quickly adds up. I'd really appreciate if you could help with some local places as my neighbour is available this saturday otherwise we have to postpone for another 2 weeks.

Cheers

Edited by DarkShadow

I can understand that you are trying to get the appropriate materials for the job, but are also being swayed by cost (which is where compromises are made).

If you are going to buy new material, then yes it costs more, but presumably you will get just what you require that way. If you are willing to compromise, I would not rule out scrap yards (NOT car type scrap yards)

When I was making my (7ft high double) drive gates I bought a load of round bar from CF Booth scrap yard in Rotherham (near the football ground). However, the 80mm box section (for the gate posts) and the 40mm box section (for the frame-work of the gates) was bought new from Hillsborough steel stock who cut it to the size I required.

My advice is as follows:

Go around some scrap yards and see what you can find.

Place a wanted advert (for free) in admag for what you cannot get from the scrap yards https://www.admag.co.uk/

Finally, buy scaffolding tubes from wherever, to make-up for what you have not been able to source from the first two options

PS: I would not use solid round bar (as in your post above). Steel is sold by weight. The scaffold tube has decent wall thickness to be strong enough for your project in my opinion.